Help Identify These Chairs

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

wmw25
Modern Groupie

Help Identify These Chairs

Postby wmw25 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:11 pm

My wife and I found these on Saturday. No manufacturer markings (or any other markings, actually) of any kind. They're heavy fiberglass (or something).

Thanks in advance guys.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:19 pm

They were made by a German company, Casala in the 1970s. My are so marked so they are probably vintage.

I see that they are now being made again: http://www.architonic.com/ntsht/a-classic-returns/7000005

Maybe they aren't marking the new ones?

wmw25
Modern Groupie

Postby wmw25 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:31 pm

ch wrote:They were made by a German company, Casala in the 1970s. My are so marked so they are probably vintage.

I see that they are now being made again: http://www.architonic.com/ntsht/a-classic-returns/7000005

Maybe they aren't marking the new ones?

Very cool, thanks for the help!

Could you tell me where yours are marked/labeled so I can look more carefully?

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:00 am

Mine are maked on the back outside curve, at the place where your butt crack would be when sitting. In raised, molded letters are "Casala, Model 2007/2008, Made in Western Germany".

Since I bought mine at the Pasadena flea market in 1998 I'm thinking they were from the original 70s production. They originally had a white matte finish that was kind of scratchy to the skin so I had them recoated at an auto body shop when I had a vintage car repainted.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”