Malm Fireplaces

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

badcarburetor
Modern Fan

Malm Fireplaces

Postby badcarburetor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 pm

I apologize if this is the wrong borad for this topic. I looked all over the forum and was quite surprised not to find a single mention of Malm fireplaces. I hope that I didn't over look anything. Please feel free to move this thread if I did.

I want to install a gas powered Malm Zircon fireplace in my home. The local fireplace shop says that Malm is impossible to work with having long delays in shipping and bad communication. Plus they say that it won't sufficently provide warmth with all the heat going out the chimney. I live in Atlanta, so it's not like I'm trying to heat an igloo.

I find it hard to believe that this old brand is that bad (or maybe I just don't want to believe it).

Does anyone have any experiences with using and/or purchasing and installing a Malm?

Thank you in advance for any help.

http://www.malmfireplaces.com/z34gas.html

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Sienna » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:57 am

No experience with malm, but lots with lazy/nonproductive shops.

If you really want it, why not order it yourself and find someone to install it? There is minimal engineering required since it is not a masonary fireplace shooting out of your roof. Just my thoughts.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:19 am

I have always like these from a style point of view and know nothing about their efficiency, although an exposed metal chimney inside the room will release that heat into the room.

The company does get mixed reviews on Yelp

I agree with Sienna's suggestion but I would go further and call them indicating you want to direct order and also recommend an installer in your area. I would even reference the Yelp comments to get them paying special attention to your order

Sienna's right in that a gas fireplace can be an easy installation, typically by a plumber used to gas lines. I would assume that the bigger challenge is the chimney exit, in terms of waterproofing and exhausting, as most fireplaces and fireplace inserts use the existing masonry chimney.
scowsa

bterry
Modern Groupie

Re Malm

Postby bterry » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Hey, here's an idea... I was going to install a preway fireplace in my house, and found a lovely set of non-vented gas logs made by Empire company. My plan is to (once I get the time) install the preway fireplace with the chimney portion extending to the roof for a visual effect only, but to cut and fasten sheet metal in a manner that blocks the vent of the fireplace. Essentially, with a vent-free log set, and all the amenities that they provide (thermostatically controlled remote, etc) combined with no heat loss through the ceiling, you have a great alternative which maintains the mid-century appeal, but with updated efficiency (100%) and safety.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”