How do y'all transport furniture for (semi) long distances?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Van
Modern Master

How do y'all transport furniture for (semi) long distances?

Postby Van » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 am

I've got a hold on this great sectional sofa but it's in San Angelo (4.5 hours away from me in Dallas). My husband and I don't mind the drive and plan to make it a mini vacation (San Angelo is a pretty neat town) but so far, haven't been able to figure out the vehicle.
U-Haul rents pickups but we'd have to get it in Dallas since they don't have pickup trucks in San Angelo--that adds up to be over $400 since they charge mileage (and doesn't include gas, of course). Seems like there's got to be a better way!

Here's a picture of it:

Each end section is 52 inches long and 34 1/2 inches deep and 31 inches tall. The corner section is the same height and corner to corner 67 inches. The end sections can be stacked on top of each other face to face. Not sure if it would fit in a van or large SUV--I'd have to measure.

Does anybody have experience with this sort of thing? Any advice? I really want this sofa!

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:17 pm

A couple of thoughts.

If you have any friends with a vehicle with a hitch, you could probably rent a U-Haul trailer in San Angelo and drop it off in Dallas.

A lot of small moves these days use some version of Pods (like a mini-container) which are dropped off at the load-on location, loaded by you and moved with other pods on a larger truck.

Here's one example

http://www.atlasvanlines.com/smart-move/container/

I have no idea if it would be cost-effective.
scowsa

KevinEP
Modern Master

Shipping

Postby KevinEP » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:01 pm

I used uship.com last year to ship some lounge chairs and it ended up being quite reasonable.

Not a bad service.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Try Enterprise. They rent trucks and cargo vans. I could not find out the rates as they tend to vary by location. I suggest going online and "start a reservation" to get some idea of cost. I rented a cargo van several years ago and it was about $60.-$80 @ day with no mileage charge. (when one returns it to the same location) The van may be a better bet because the pick ups tend to be extra cabs with smaller beds. Go have a look and take a tape measure with you.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'm going to end up renting a cargo van from here http://www.cappsvanrental.com/ for 3 days 600 miles included for ~$200. I really only need it two days but the third day gives me time to pick it up and drop it off without being rushed and the 3rd day is 600 instead of 400 miles.
Now I'm just trying to double check to make sure that it will fit. I'm waiting for a reply on the widest width of the corner piece.
This whole thing has been a headache (hotel availability and my husband's odd work schedule haven't helped). I really hope we like the sofa after all of this!!

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:06 am

Oh, I tried Enterprise but they were sold out everywhere near me.

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 am

Hey all, we finally got the sofa! And we ended up buying the Heywood Wakefield coffee table too. The van was great--only had 1k miles on it so was very new. We had plenty of space and bought some other things like a Philco TV that works and some other knick knacks.

Here's a picture right after putting it in our living room--the cats approve! (They better not pee on it!)

We were originally just going to use two pieces of the sofa but now want to use all three and get rid of that closet--I posted about it here: http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18670

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”