Googie Redux

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Googie Redux

Postby nichols » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:41 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:20 pm

I glanced at it tonight at Borders and it looks graphically pleasing, much like Palm Springs Weekend. I have asked to wife to add it to the Christmas list.

Duno if I can wait!

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:32 pm

If there is a textbook for this course listed as, "Modern 101" this book by Alan Hess, "Googie Redux" is it. Perhaps there is a tandem "serious" architecture and design book out there to stack atop this "fun stuff" tome.
Any suggestions?

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:26 pm

Joe:

"Graphically Pleasing" seems to be the measure by which I weigh my own book buying decisions.

I saw Ranch House yesterday at Borders and added it to my own wishlist. Do you have anything to report on the text? I did not have much time to browse.

I also grabbed an Atomic Ranch while there. Nice Job!

RM

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:23 pm

Chris Merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby Chris Merritt » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:31 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

where?

Postby SDR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:33 pm

Atomic Ranch Editor
Modern Fan

Which retailers carry Atomic Ranch

Postby Atomic Ranch Editor » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:14 pm

Atomic Ranch is carried at select Barnes & Noble, Borders, Hastings and independent newsstands and the coolest modern and vintage furniture stores. A complete listing is on the website, atomic-ranch.com, retailers page.

The hardworking editor

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:19 pm

SDR - Appreciate the additional book list possibilities. It's asking much to expect 2 books to cover an entire era, style, philosophy ect. sure. That Googie Redux volume just seems to sum up about half of the term Modern to me.

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:30 pm

Copies of Googie Redux have started showing up on ebay. With the postage, my copy will cost me $16.51 -- not the greatest saving...but considering the number of books I buy...
Dave
PS We'll be in LA 12/31-1/6; have been to the float decorating areas in Pasadena before Jan 1, and to the display of floats on Jan 2, but have never been to the parade, to which we're thinking of going this year. We'll be taking the Gold Line metro to Pasadena. Will we be able to see anything from curbside? Should we buy tickets for seats? (I generally dislike crowds, but like to try everything once: Doodah Parade, Hollywood Xmas Parade, Halloween in West Hollywood...)

Dave

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:53 pm

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Wilshire Blvd Book?

Postby davidk6 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:06 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:30 pm

Uh, funny you should mention that. I'm working on the history of Wilshire Boulevard book with author Kevin Roderick and have been with the project for over two years. It is being published by Angel City Press and, if all stays to plan and schedule, it will hit bookstore shelves in August 2005.

Since I'm gathering pics and history for this book, I guarantee the photo selection will be wonderful. The hardest part will be selecting the best from the best as we may only have room for 200 images; with photos and ephemera from over 100 years of Wilshire's history, they are all quite shocking.

Keep your ears to the ground for the Los Angeles Conservancy's driving tour of Wilshire Boulevard coming in the Fall of 2005.

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:51 pm

Good luck and please be sure to let us know here when it's available.
Regards
Dave
PS Let me guess who'll be doing the Conservancy bus tour.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”