Vintage Toys

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Vintage Toys

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:35 am

I have a friend that is a current toy designer and avid vintage toy collector. One of his passions is researching the somewhat obscure backgrounds of some otherwise forgotten vintage hits. Many are familiar with the Rube Goldberg inspiration in the classic Mouse Trap game, for instance, but where did Hot Potato come from? In any case, he also contributes many ideas to a fictitious toy company site called Gobler Toys:

http://www.goblertoys.com/

Since the themes and advertizements are inspired by many of the same "mod" developements we are all so passionate about, I thought I would share. Check out the Vintage Gobler Toy TV Commercials - they are a hoot!

Enjoy! John

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The voodoo toy logo

Postby modfan » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:44 am

Looks suspiciously like 'Grimm' from 'The Grimm Adventures Of Billy And Mandy' on Cartoon Network.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:21 pm

Those boys are TRULY ILL (and I mean that in a GOOD way, not in a YUCKY sort of way. . .)
One is reminded of Bruce McCall, or maybe the Mad Magazine pseudo-ads, for Kegvinator Refrigerators (available in Night-Nurse White!) and the new Voomflauten V-12 X@& sports car. . .and was it Mad, or Road & Track, that brought us the Denbeigh Super-Chauvinist, with bench seats that were. . .actual benches?

But, a whole toy company, from scratch? Hoo-hah!

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:27 pm

There's also a certain continuity to their products - the way the Rocket Head is reused as the Millenium Falcon when Ira Gobbler tries to get the Star Wars franchise - funny stuff in there. I thought Kiki the Fashion Tiki would get a laugh as well - both the animated commercial and the bobblehead that Funko is producing for them:

-- Best, John

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

so is gobler toys

Postby modfan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:31 am

now a part of Spumco (of Ren & Stimpy fame)-the company that brought you 'Log' :)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:40 am

I heard Spumco was the subject of a hostile takeover attempt by Fabuloid International (a KrustyCo Industries subsidiary). . .?

In the 'fifties my family were the proud owners of a couple of Tryne brand table games (injection-molded plastic parts in bright colors) -- "A Tryne Game is a Fine Game"; "The Tryne Line is a Fine Line"

Then there was the marble game called Deadpan (My grandmother remarked ". . .bedpan? Why would anybody want to play a game called. . .") And, something called Clunk-a-Glunk" -- who knows?

SDR

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Vintage Toys

Postby AJ Fisher » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:01 pm

This picture is of my 1960's Texaco jet fuel truck. I bought it from Value Village thrift store for $7.49. It measures 23 1/2" long.

-AJ
Last edited by AJ Fisher on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Ooh, that's nice. How long is it ?
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

modernmonkey
Modern Fan

Toy Collectors Check This Out

Postby modernmonkey » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Modern Monkey, the Space Angel game on your page reminded me of some pinball games I photographed at the 2004 CA Extreme game meet in San Jose, CA. Many of the mid-century games have very cool back board art.

If you like these, there's more pinball photos in the thread on the Las Vegas Pinball Museum.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:24 am

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

seniors094ever
Modern Socialite

toy question

Postby seniors094ever » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi, My aunt has a toy that im interested in buying, i dont have a picture...but i can describe it.

All i know is this toy is a tin toy of a boy riding a tricycle. he has articulated arms and is in great condition.

anybody know anything about this?

i dont remember hearing about many articulated tin toys.

-luke.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:03 pm

I had a similar toy, in the early 'fifties. I assume it was Japanese-made. It was a monkey riding a tricycle. I guess it was spring-operated. My dad made a wood box for it, and my mom was quite protective of it.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 pm

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

seniors094ever
Modern Socialite

Postby seniors094ever » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:14 pm

im thinking the toy is probably late 40s early 50s.

-luke.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:21 pm

Chances are, it's post-war-Japanese. The best ones came from this period, as this was the zenith of these toys: later, as a cost cutting measure, they switched to battery operated mechanisms because of the complexity of having to hand build all the tiny parts. Like American cars from this period, the demand far exceeded the supply, so they had to figure out how to cut corners to get them out faster; mid to late 50's the workmanship started to get shoddy. By the late 60's and 70's both cars and toys weren't nearly as good or aesthetically pleasing despite advances in building technology. Unfortunately most companies decided to follow G.M.'s mantra of "built in obsolescence".
Slim

seniors094ever
Modern Socialite

Postby seniors094ever » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:06 pm

do you have any idea what a toy like this would be worth?

-luke.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:09 pm

I have no idea, sorry. You may want to find an on-line forum, or, you might be able to find some kind of price-guide in book form.
If you like tin toys, you might want to look at a book my sister in law got me called:

"Robots: Spaceships and other Tin Toys" http://www.amazon.com/Robots-Spaceships ... 3822850624

I'm using it as a style-guide for my construction project.
Slim

seniors094ever
Modern Socialite

Postby seniors094ever » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 pm

I finally found the toy!

http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/arch ... 7_1_lg.jpg

Anyone have one?

-Luke.

Roger Thornhill
Modern Master

Postby Roger Thornhill » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:30 am

Not sure if we posted this anywhere else, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6anoGxyW-w

This has to be in my opinion: THE WORST TOY EVER!
What kinda cheap, you know what, would buy this for their kids; better yet, what kinda sick mind would "design" this as an excuse for a toy?!?!?!? We loved the kid launching the rocket; boredom doesn't begin to express what this kid is having "Can we use that shot, I wanna go play with some rocks?" Gabby and I laughed ourselves sick watching this over and over at how amazingly cheap/bad this waste of a good tree was; WOW!

Roger Thornhill
Modern Master

Postby Roger Thornhill » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:26 am

Hi All,

On the ever-fun Retro Blog today, I learned about an interesting article on the origins of such fun toys as the Slinky, Lincoln Logs, Lego and Sea Monkeys. Short but enjoyable and some amusing pics too.

Here's the link: http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/blo ... 24089.html
Here's a link to Retro Blog: http://theretroblog.com/
And here's a longer story on the Slinky: http://www.pabook.libraries.psu.edu/pal ... linky.html

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Thank heaven! The Slinky Satellite Beanie! I can at last play safely with my favorite game. . .

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Roger Thornhill
Modern Master

Dick Tracy watches!

Postby Roger Thornhill » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:13 pm

I would really love to have this, but I imagine that it goes for a pretty penny on the ol' bay.

http://thesweetestpsychopath.tumblr.com ... o-by-remco

http://thesweetestpsychopath.tumblr.com/post/146954961

"And darkness, as darkness does, fell."

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”