Greatest Toy Ever

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Greatest Toy Ever

Postby Nathan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:15 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:31 am

I had an Ideal version of those sets - a Supercity skyscraper set that was used in conjunction with their Motorific toy line. The "ideal" was to build a city around the highways for your Motorific cars to cruise about.

-- John

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:01 am

I did have my dads "erecto" erector set. But, I personally was a LEGO kid!

Maybe that is why a love good Scandinavian modern furniture.

I found the Lego Technics kits when I was in my thirties. They are a girder beam design that allows for flexibility beyond the "brick." You can know build post and beam legos!

I still build with legos in my forties under the guise of playing with my kids.

I see that one of my daughters really has the lego bug. She has some real talent, already firlmy grasping such abstract concepts as rhythm and symmetry at five.

The biggest problem with legos is stepping on a runaway in you bare feet in the middle of the night. Yeouch!

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:38 am

I was a "Lincoln Log" guy, so maybe I'll be president some day. (More likely, I'll be shot in a dark theater!)
Last edited by sky on Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:32 am

Alex: for no points, who invented Lincoln Logs?

Bender

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:26 pm

I remember there was something of a running argument in fifth grade about Legos vs. blocks. Legos, Lincoln Logs, their ilk, they fasten together. But building with blocks meant you had to keep an eye to balance. I always felt there was something more honorable about blocks, but I said good things about both camps, since I was a fan of my girder & panel set.

A challenge to cantilever in either medium, I'll tell you.

Johnny A -- your set is Motorific! I'm going to be using that term a lot...

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:13 pm

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Lost youth

Postby CapitalMod » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:43 am

modfan

I liked all that stuff and had just about all of it.

Postby modfan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:02 am

sky

Postby sky » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:35 am

Last edited by sky on Wed May 25, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:02 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:44 am

[That's "other" as in, Frank Lloyd Wright, Jr ("Lloyd Wright"), who accompanied his father to Germany in 1910 and helped with the beautiful inked line drawings that were published in "The Wasmuth Portfolio" (reproduced by Dover in 1983 as "Drawings and Plans of Frank Lloyd Wright - The Early Period (1893-1909). Lloyd's son, Eric Lloyd Wright, has ably assisted in the restoration of several of his grandfather's houses.]

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:30 pm

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:25 pm

Greatest toy ever, does a Stingray bike count? If not then TONKA trucks! The real old steel type. I had a buldozer, steam shovel, cement truck and a bunch of dump trucks.

sky

Postby sky » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:11 am

Nathan: It should be easy to cantilever with Lincoln Logs – a four notched log with the last segment over air, but no floor, of course. I did a couple of Internet searched to see if anyone would actually build such a thing, but this was the closest I could find: http://www.vintagelog.com/abingdon.htm (Don’t laugh; you could sell this for one million dollars on a 1000 square foot lot on the west side.)

CapitalMod and Modfan: I like the simplicity of tinker toys, and you could make great windmills with them. I’m not sure that I fully understand what qualifies as Googie, but it seems to me that Tinker Toys is the one set of all those mentioned here that lends itself to Googie design – particularly for making acute angles.

SDR: Thanks, dude. First a date, and later living with Vanna down by the river.

There’s probably a lot of generational differences with the toys and games with had as kids, but lets see if you also had any of my favorites (not limited to building toys): Cootie, 8-ball, Lie Detector, and then as teens, we played marathon games of Risk. Yo-yos were big and make a comeback (pun intended) every now and then. I’m drawing a blank on some others.

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:25 am

modfan

from sky's post:

Postby modfan » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:00 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:03 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:22 pm

I was mainly a Micronauts man when I was growing up. One of the latter sets resembled an erection (huh-huh) set, but I never got it. There was also Monorail City, which I never got but may get one day.

I always wanted an erection (huh-huh-huh) set, but I never got one.

I had a fold-out toy of Disneyland with a working train and carousel, but when I was 14 I thought I'd outgrown Disney, so I gave that away along with my Haunted Mansion board game. (I still have a little omnimover game piece from the latter.)

Fortunately, I still have my Remco McDonaldland playset and all the figures.

Somewhere I also still have my Giant Tinkertoys. When I was six, a friend of mine figured out how to make a car out of them, which we both sat in.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Lost youth

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:28 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:57 pm

That is "Major Matt Mason" to you sir.

I think that my Major Matt Mason moon crawler thingy and action figures are still at my moms house. The wires broke inside the rubber action figures, so they are all kind of limp (huh, huh, huh, I said limp). What was the name of the guy in the red suit? I remember the green alien guy, but I do not think that one survived the battles with GI Joe.

Now I really had the GI Joe paraphernalia. Who could forget the big jeep with the optional search light or canon. I even had the sub. Just try to remove a wet suit on GI Joe without his feet coming off!

Do you remember the later Joes had fuzzy hair and beards? I always though it was strange on military men.

No matter which Joe you had, they all had the same scar on their face. Must have been an initiation thing.

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:03 pm

Funny you should mention Major Matt Mason - I'm considered by some as an authority and cover the toy line in detail on my "Where the Wildtoys Are" Website:

http://www.wildtoys.com

I also talk about Zeroids, Shogun Wariors and some of my other interests. Most of the pictures are of my personal collection (it's pretty extensive - also explaining the need for a full basement).

The red guy was named "Sgt Storm" and the green guy "Callisto."

-- Best, John
Last edited by johnnyapollo on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:08 pm

Golly -- now that "our" Joe has updated his avatar, I finally get the "G I Joe" angle of the previous one. d'OH!

Is Bender ALWAYS going to be the last one to "get it. . ."? (Don't answer that.)

Being vehicle-oriented from the start ("car" was supposedly my first word) I was first given a curious English three-wheel cycle, which had maybe 12" rear wheels and a 16" front wheel (all spoked, hard-tired) with chain drive and one handbrake, then a "CarCycle" with shaft drive from pedals to rear axle (the soft right-angle drive gears eventually wore out), front wheels steered by a two-thirds round steering wheel, and a tubular backbone-type frame, a bicycle seat, and disc wheels, all painted red. Pretty neat, until I left it in the driveway one evening and Dad backed over it wth the '47 Jeep Station Wagon, crushing it and leaving a 4-gallon dent in the gas tank of the car!

"Oh.. .mercy!" (Skinner)

SDR :roll:
Last edited by SDR on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:12 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:26 pm

-Rat Patrol action figures with Jeep, all in desert tan

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:34 pm

SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:35 pm

Being a little older, I had British rubber-tired cast metal Dinky Toys cars with luscious thick paint jobs and a black sheet-metal bottom panel riveted to the casting. I seem to remember a Jaguar XK 120, a Lincoln Zephyr coupe (olive green) and a red pre-war Jaguar roadster with twin "windscreens," looking a little like a racier MG TC. These were maybe 2 1/2 or 3 inches long (a little bigger than Hot Wheels?).

SDR

Sid, DUDE - Welcome Back!

JAB

Postby JAB » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:00 pm

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:10 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:45 pm

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”