herman miller plastic eames chairs

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

herman miller plastic eames chairs

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:06 pm

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:12 pm

I know what you mean, Joe. Not a bad idea (although I don't have any answers for you on how they'd weather the weather). But I just can't get used to them not being in fiberglass. Of course, they probably wouldn't do too well outside in fiberglass, either. Only classic modern chairs I see outdoors a lot are bertoias... And even those tend to rust, I understand.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:51 pm

plastic and fiberglass should be fine outside. Quite a few pieces of outdoor furniture were and still are fiberglass. Not to mention cars and boats.

I wonder why the new DWR eames shells aren't fiberglass.

What is the difference between what they have done with the eames shell chairs, not making them to correct specifications, and other knock offs.

Seems like they fit in the knockoff category, maybe?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:04 am

we have a few vintage ones and the legs do rust if not kept properly.

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:41 am

I would worry that the fiberglass would delaminate outside in the elements. If there is anywhere even a tiny bit of water can get in, the combination of ultraviolet light and water make for a de-lam. We have fiberglass surfboards and if they get a ding, water can get in and pretty soon, your fiberglass gets brittle and sharp and if you really let it go, your board could break, and dude, that would be lame.

I bet those plastic chairs would be okay outside. Maybe the metal legs could get dipped in some sort of sealant. I've heard the term "polane" used when referring to waterproofing metal that will be outdoors. I think it's a brand name for a spray or dip that companies can put on for you.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:21 am

hoodlam: "What is the difference between what they have done with the eames shell chairs, not making them to correct specifications, and other knock offs."

One difference, they are licensed and manufactured by Herman Miller, which I think lends a little bit of credibility. Plastic is just an evolution of an inexpensive material. Sure, some might find it offensive. Though, I have no problem with the Modernica chairs either.

I leave my vintage eames shells outside often (not in winter) without problems. Just curious about the plastic. I'll ask HM too.

DWR only sells them with the eiffel bases. Herman Miller offers all the bases. Any Herman Miller dealer can get these chairs. If rust is an issue, I might consider powder coating the bases, which seams really inexpensive these days. I hope this could be a way of getting some classic patio furniture for under $300 and chair. It tough to find decent fiberglass arm shells for under $300. I guess I'll be the ginny pig on this one :wink:

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:28 am

if they are licensed by Herman Miller but are not the same specifications as the original eames shells, then are they original Eames designed shells?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:55 am

design: yes
original specified material: no

I have no problem with these chairs, especially since they are from Herman Miller. Not a knock-off, just an advancement or variation of the original from one a few companies who has the right to do so.

Well, I just got the answer to my question from HM. They say the plastic chairs are for indoor use only. Bastards. Vintage it is.

whitespike
Modern Socialite

Postby whitespike » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:05 pm

the-way-it-should-be-ness

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:16 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:51 am

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”