Can anyone approximately date this cabinet?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Retrovixen
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can anyone approximately date this cabinet?

Postby Retrovixen » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi Lotta Livin' Friends.

My name is Lyn, and I have just recently discovered this website and I'm so happy that I did. I love mid-century modern art and decorative arts, interior design, and fashion but couldn't find an online community that shared that interest until now.

My question is this: I just recently bought a cabinet online and am wondering about the date. The dealer said it dates from the 60s or 70s, but I'm wondering if it's older than that.

(I tried to add the image to the post but was unsuccessful, so I've included the URL for the photo. Any advice on how to add images directly to these messages would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!)

It's solid walnut with a black laquer or faux laquer base. It's 3 feet wide and very solid. It just seems a bit older than the 60s or 70s, but I haven't found anything similar with which to base a date on it. It's unmarked, so there is no manufacturer to go by.

Thank you in advance for looking.

L.

Update: I might have actually found the answer to my own question, but if anyone else has any information, that would be great. I just found a similar piece on mod20.com, (which I also didn't know about until I found this website.) They have a pair of walnut cabinets with the same exact base as my piece, and they call it Harvey Probber-style, and date it to the 1960s. Are there any Harvey Probber experts who might know if my cabinet is by him or made after his style?

Again, many thanks in advance.[/img]
Last edited by Retrovixen on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tikifrog
Modern Socialite

Re: Can anyone approximately date this cabinet?

Postby Tikifrog » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:27 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:06 pm

Actually, Lyn is all set to go; her URL works fine. It is apparently hosted correctly. I just posted her picture at the test board.

Lyn, the post panel (where you write your post) has an [img]button;%20if%20you%20punch%20it%20once,%20then%20paste%20your%20URL%20(starting%20with%20http:%20and%20ending%20with%20.jpg),%20then%20hit%20the%20[img]%20button%20again%20--%20so%20there%20are%20no%20spaces%20within%20your%20entire%20line,%20but%20space%20outside%20of%20both%20ends%20--%20the%20second%20[img]%20will%20have%20a%20slash%20--[/img] -- and your post will display your picture. Give it a try; if you don't get it right you can edit until you do.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Retrovixen
Modern Fan

Thanks for the advice on how to upload the images

Postby Retrovixen » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:47 pm

Hi Tikifrog and SDR,

Thank you for taking the time to post replies to my message. Your advice worked. I hadn't realized that the second img at the end of the URL had the backslash. Sometimes when I press the Img button, it didn't work, but if I manually type [img]at%20the%20beginning%20of%20the%20URL%20and[/img] at the end, it works just as well.

Now if only I can get my Avatar to show up!!!!

Thanks again.

Lyn

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”