Haggling for a Better Price on Vintage Furniture?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Retrovixen
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Haggling for a Better Price on Vintage Furniture?

Postby Retrovixen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:19 pm

Does anyone have any tips for haggling with a dealer for a better price? I'm interested in a piece I saw on a dealer's website, but it's a bit scuffed, and I think the asking price is too high. I'm really not very good at haggling or making deals. Has anyone successfully haggled for a lower price on vintage furniture? What's worked for you? What hasn't?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lyn
"Everyone makes fun of the Puupli kids. How I hate them." - Lisa Simpson

Stefen
Modern Fan

Postby Stefen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Regardless of what you are haggling for, determine what value the item is to you. Set the maximum dollar amount and begin haggling somewhere below your maximum.

To be a good haggler....you must be willing to walk away if you can't reach a midway settling point.

I once had a gentleman follow me all over a flee market and he finally met the price I was initally willing to spend. I paid the price but didn't really want the item...I was haggling for the fun of it.

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:24 pm

I've had good luck with telling the dealer that I like the piece, but there's not enough room in my budget for it. Then I politely ask them what they can do on the price to help me out.

First, this doesn't offend the dealer by coming right out and saying they're gouging. Second, I've found that most people are sympathetic when someone nicely asks for help.

momp57
Modern Socialite

Postby momp57 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:26 pm

Shawn
Modern Fan

Postby Shawn » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:04 pm

I have found the same thing. I have a price I'm willing to pay set in my head and always start by asking if they can do any better on the price for me. More often than not they will drop the price right there to what I was willing to pay and I just leave it at that, so we are both happy.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:06 am

As a good friend of mine always says, "If you don't ask, you don't get." Words to live by I believe.

If nothing else, before paying full price say to the dealer, "I really like this piece. What's your best price for it?" And then either take it or leave it. I think it's always poor form to ask for a best price and then try to lower it.

podboy
Modern Fan

Re:Best price

Postby podboy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:56 pm

Having worked as a midcentury dealer for several years I thought I would throw in my two cents.
It is extremely common for people to haggle for a better price. The way that works best for the seller and the buyer is to just simply ask "what is your best price on this". There is always some room to adjust the price slightly, more if you are buying an expensive item or buying several items.
Asking for the 'best price' will avoid any nitpicking and unnecessary haggling. However, you should respect that it is the best deal that they can arrange, trying to go any lower is not appreciated. Also, trying to get a better price on an item already discounted for a special sale is not usually good form.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”