Small modern homes. . .and dollhouses !

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Small modern homes. . .and dollhouses !

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:00 pm

Last edited by SDR on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:41 pm

sid
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby sid » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:05 pm

SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

which reminds me

Postby modfan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:28 pm

aren't there some charitable events somewhere where they make childrens playhouses, seems like then could do some modern ones. I think the charity event is to raise money like for homeless shelters and such. or dog houses or doll houses as well?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:59 pm

I investigated doll houses (the "miniatures" trade) a few years ago and was told that there's very little interest in modernism; things may have changed ?

I designed a nice dog house -- but it involved a good deal of concrete-block sitework -- and a small pool ! A wooden deck under a floating hipped roof completed the ensemble. . .

SDR

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:06 pm

There are two modern doll houses that I know of right now that are readily available:

The Villa Sibi, designed by Wolfgang Sirch and Christoph Bitzer in 2004 for Ameico. It comes with a garden and pool house which are all made of birch. also comes with a set of beech furniture. It sells for the insane price of $690. Of course, if you've just dropped over $900 for a Bugaboo Stroller, than I suppose a $700 dollhouse is not unreasonable, eh?:

The other one has been around a while longer, and I've seen it at the MoMA gift shop. It's by architect Peter Wheelwright for Bozart Toys, and goes for about $200:

For those looking for more of an original MCM ranch house, the now defunct toy company Deluxe Reading produced one around 1963 called "Debbie's Dream House". The company went bankrupt in the 70s, but you can still find them. There was an article on it in the Palm Springs Modernism Show program this year. They come up for sale occasionally for anywhere from $100 to $200.

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:59 pm

Thanks for that, Chimay -- glad to have those out there. Sexy photos of the Villa Sibi. . .

SDR

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:52 am

Here is another modern dollhouse, made by the great wooden toy manufacturer Plan Toys:

The Dollhouse actually looks much better in person than in this photo, with a number of moveable plexiglass panels in bright colors. We bought this one for our daughter last year after discovering that the Bozart Kaleidoscope House (see second set of images above from Chimay) was out of production.

modfan

Wow

Postby modfan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:40 am

didn't even know those existed.
I remember one that was featured in a magazine article like Better Homes and Gardens. It was self made from gift boxes, tiny plastic stackable boxes, cut out foam for the furniture, ping pong balls for globe lights and a scale model plastic car for the vehicle and a description on how they put it together. It was featured on a talk show at the time and thru video wizardry they seated the guests in the living room of the doll house. I dunno if you can google or e-bay any of it.

Stephen
Modern Guru

An Idea

Postby Stephen » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:04 am

Does anyone know of a bird-house company that will make a custom birdhouse that looks like a replica of the main house? In my case, an L-shaped bird-house might be a little strange....but the symmetry would be so nice.

Stephen
http://cliffmay.blogspot.com <-- recently minorly updated.

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:22 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:14 pm

Someone's making very nice-looking tiny pre-fab/panelized houses, for guest/office/storage use -- was the website viewed or linked here, a while back ? I can't remember the name. There may even be more than one. . .

SDR

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:58 pm

A couple spring to mind. Are these the ones you were thinking of?

www.modern-shed.com

www.moderncabana.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:23 pm

Definitely ! Thanks -- I hadn't seen these particular images before, but those were the ones I was thinking of.

Any way these would do as play-houses -- if you could keep the adults out ?

SDR :cheers:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 02, 2006 12:38 am

I was indoctrinated by my parents at a young age into Modernism. One of my favorite christmas gifts was the Imagination Doll house by Marx.
Marx was an early producer of tin dollhouses and actually did a few Modern looking tin dollhouses, but the one that went over the edge was the clear plastic walled - cantelievered modular Imagination Doll House. It came complete with molded miniature furniture that looked remarkably like Eames chairs, etc...

I found the pictures below of the modular constructed house and the page it is from is definitely worth a visit to see all the variations a young girl could tryout. http://www.barbigirl.com/imagination.htm

BTW - after YEARS of searching for the house - i finally scored a complete house in its original box a few years back on ebay - it still had as much allure as it did back in the 'day.'

sky

Postby sky » Tue May 02, 2006 6:25 am

These photos are 20+ years old. The doll house is long gone, and I don't think any of my kids ever played with it. The basic part of the doll house was a kit, and even back then, it was hard to find a contempoarary doll house. I built all the stuff around the basic house, plus the room additional in front. My favorite parts are the spa, which is the cap from a shaving cream can, and I was very excited to find a basketball backboard for the garage - although it's a little out of proportion.

Image Image

Image Image

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue May 02, 2006 8:31 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue May 02, 2006 3:09 pm

Someone asked about birdhouses. Check these out

Here is the full link

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:23 am

I've added the word 'dollhouses' to the title of this thread (finally). Here's the latest entry:

A LITTLE LESSON
:: Green doll houses :: Coyote Point Museum teaches kids about ecology -- on a smaller scale

When Kermit the Frog sang, "It's not easy being green," little did he know just how prescient his signature ditty would be. Now, in this ever eco-conscious world we live in, it seems just about everyone is bending over backward to leave less of a footprint on good ol' Mother Earth -- even dollhouse architects. To see the latest in green dollhouse design firsthand, head to the Coyote Point Museum in San Mateo to see how far this concept has come. On display will be dollhouses incorporating green cutting-edge design techniques such as using Monopoly money and chopsticks for flooring, window frames fashioned from old belt buckles, beds made out of tiny moccasins and solar fans powered by the lights in the museum. Included in the display of 15 houses is a miniature community garden with a fruit stand, playground, and yes, a composting area with little 6-inch people mulching away. After seeing these innovative doll dwellings, kids "are inspired to go home and build their own dollhouses out of shoe boxes and other materials around the house," says Jill Boone, a programs manager with RecycleWorks, a San Mateo County agency that helped put the show together. One way kids can learn about the green building techniques used in the 2 - by - 3 - foot houses is to join in the exhibit's scavenger hunt where tbey identify green flourishes such as sinks made from sea shells and uncooked pasta used for lighting. One house has Trex decking, a building material made from recyeled plastic. After taking in last year's exhibition, a group of students constructed a "Recycletown" at their school. To facilitate the budding green builders, the exhibition includes a "Make Your Own Green Dollhouse" area with modular building blocks. Culled from a competition, the designs on display feature efforts from 10 professional firms, including San Francisco's 450 Architects Inc., which contributed "EI Salvage-a-door," a house made from all salvaged materials like the real Spanish tile used for the roof. Redwood City's Hermannsson Architects contributed the "Hay Bale & Half Timber Bamboo Cottage," an abode that would feel at home in the English countryside. Four student dollhouses are also featured, plus one by Sunset magazine's Peter Whiteley, author of "Green Dollhouse: Crealing a Doll's Eye View of a Healthier World." A parent can also benefit, Boone says. "What happens is that people get questions answered here. 'Oh, this is what a straw bale house looks like.' It's educational." Copies of the brochure, "Green It Yourself: Smart Ideas for Home Improvement," on adapting exlsling structures will also be available. If you happen to fall in love with one of the green masterpieces, attend the Nov. 29 auction at the museum, where, in the spirit of the Bay Area housing market, they'll be sold to the highest bidder.

-- Paul Kilduff. 96Hours@sfchronicle.com

Opens Sat. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tues.- Sat., noon to 5 p.m. Sun. $6, seniors and students (13 -17) $4, 3-12 years old $2. Through Dec. 3. Coyote Point Museum, 1651 Coyote Point Drive, San Mateo. (650) 342-7755. www.greendollhouse.org

How "San Francisco" is that ?! :cheers:

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:25 am

Not exactly play houses, dollhouses or bird houses, but kinda modern. A set of Frank Lloyd Wright Archiblocks in maple, with several pieces of slate.
Plans for six structures,
A big box of "prefab" materials,
and, in less than 60 seconds, you look good with wood!

No longer produced, but complete sets are considered desirable. Well, at least by me. :)
Last edited by dilettante on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:34 pm

Wow. That, I've never seen. ©1959. . .

Where did I post the Lloyd Wright building sets -- including Lincoln Logs ?

Someone should think about reproducing these for the Foundation (or with their permission, anyway).

SDR :cheers: :cheers:

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:42 pm

Chimay's Villa Sibi so captivated me that I attempted to model my own home with the FLW Archiblocks. For better or worse, here it is. I concluded that as a model builder, I'd never get hired, but it sure was fun!

I used all the blocks in the set, including the maple box and its lucite sliding top. I ended up needing a few more, because right now there are no steps up to the front cantilevered deck!:roll:
Last edited by dilettante on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:39 pm

Cool !

I once had a scheme to build a version of Wright's Robie House out of the concrete tee-section members sometimes used in parking garages, etc. Your model reminds me of that -- only yours is nicer to look at.

SDR

classic form

Postby classic form » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:58 am

Nice model dilettante. Is there a pic of your house somewhere to compare it to? Just how good are you?

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:42 am

Last edited by dilettante on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:43 am

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:24 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:26 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:17 pm

Seems that I was still seeing these a few years back at the Oak Park Studio Ginko Tree gift shop.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:47 am

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”