Danish furniture designer Hans J. Wegner dies at 92

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:38 pm

The Associated Press
Published: February 1, 2007

COPENHAGEN, Denmark: Hans J. Wegner, a Danish furniture designer best known for his functional yet elegant chairs, has died, his family said Thursday. He was 92.

Wegner died Jan. 26 at his home in Copenhagen, but the family only announced it a week later after a private funeral service, said his daughter, Eva Wegner. She declined to comment on the cause of death.

Wegner was trained as a cabinetmaker before attending the Copenhagen School of Arts and Crafts, from where he graduated in 1938.

His international breakthrough came in 1949 with the Round Chair, which soon became a classic and was used in the United States 11 years later in televised presidential debates between John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon.

Another famous design is Wegner's wooden Y-chair, which got its name from a backrest shaped as the letter Y.

Wegner often collaborated with other famed Danish designers, including Arne Jacobsen and Boerge Mogensen. His numerous honors included being named Royal Designer of Industry in 1959 by the Royal Society of Arts in London.

He is survived by his daughter and his wife, Inga Wegner.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/ ... Wegner.php

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:00 pm

This is a great loss to the design world. He was one of the best and most prolific chair designers ever!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

John in Montreal
Modern Master

Postby John in Montreal » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:39 am

A great loss indeed...

His wonderfull three-legged dining table and chairs were part of my folks' home since the very early 60s.

I'm pleased and proud to have them in my dining room to this day...

Image Image

SkipHome
Modern Master

Hans Wegner

Postby SkipHome » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:10 pm

His Y-chairs were the beginning of my love of modernism. I bought 6 of them without knowing what they were, and almost sold them at a garage sale for $20 each! They will always grace my home.
Wish I could post a picture!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:15 pm

My personal wish list

"Better Living Through Modernism"

popgirletc
Modern Groupie

Postby popgirletc » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:28 am

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”