1950s dinnerware information/price guide/rarity

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jeffjsb73
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1950s dinnerware information/price guide/rarity

Postby Jeffjsb73 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:37 am

Hi everyone,

A while back I picked up a set of 5 saucers with an interesting 1950s pattern at an antique store. About two weeks ago I was paging thru one of my old issues of Atomic Ranch and there was an article about dinnerware from the 1950s. In the article was a familar looking pattern I checked my saucers and sure enough it matched. It is the Franciscan Starburst (the pinnacle of modern dinnerware patterns). So now I have a watchful eye out for 1950s dinnerware, esp the Starburst pattern. 1 week ago I added to the Starburst items, I found a divided bowl, 15" platter, and small bread plate. Also on the dinnerware topic, I have a single plate made by Texasware in coral/salmon color. As of yesterday I added to my coral plate, a set of 4 Dallasware small bowls and 4 bread plates.
I also might have the chance to get a bunch of 1950 melmac plateware and glasses from my Uncle. So just want to be knowledgable on this stuff.

Now to my question.
Does any one know if is there a website on 1950s dinnerware(both melmac/melamine and porclein) price guides, rarity information or other great info?
I have been finding several 1950s dinnerware sets and pieces here and ther and would like to know more about the brands and see if they are worth picking up and holding on to?
The items I am finding are from these manufacturers: Texasware, Dallasware, Watertown Lifetime ware, Arrowhead Everware, Anholt ashtrays, Holiday by Kenro (Fredonia, WI), Boonton, and TST Pebbleford. Also interested in other similar styles or brands including Franciscan (Starburst or Oasis), other melamine/melmac plateware.

I appreciate any information on these items.

Thank you

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:23 pm

i don't know about the pricing guide? but we have a few collectors of franciscan starburst here:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=46

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Hi Jeffjsb73-

I wrote that article in Atomic Ranch (Winter 2005) and the best resources for Melmac collecting I have found so far is the book Melmac Dinnerware by Gregory Zimmer. It gives a great overview of the manufacturers as well as some really cool patterns. The Branchell Company website is also a great source for viewing patterns and ephemera.

is a great start for ceramics

Sputnikmoss~
Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

BustownModern
Modern Socialite

Postby BustownModern » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:58 am

Sadly, noone ever posts on Modish. It has the potential to be such an amazing resource though.

As for info online, your best source is eBay. You can always sift through stuff on Replacements.com as well.

For real info and beautiful photos, check out the two volume book set "Mid-Century Modern Dinnerware" by Michael E. Pratt (it was originally 1 book but then it was expanded into a two volume set). This set is amazing. The only downfall is that it's only American companies and there's no melamine in it. Well worth it every penny though.
Bustown Modern
Mid-century modern furniture, lighting, housewares, clothing and art.

http://www.bustownmodern.com

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:21 am

I'm always looking for Brookpark "Fantasy" melamine. I have 4 dinner plates and love them!
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”