Why is there NO ONE from my area or city here?

Information regarding the operation of this bulletin board.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Why is there NO ONE from my area or city here?

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:46 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:03 am

this forum was born out of the los angeles conservancy modern committee - which is why it is very california centric. over time we have more and more folks joining from all over the country. and i would like to see more equal participation from other areas, but i personally cannot do that - the people from those areas need to make that happen.

for instance, moderns r us used to the only member from kansas city - now he has spread the word to other friends and enthusiasts in his area. when i moved to vegas - i think there was only roadside pictures here with me? now we are many... perhaps you could become the champion of the vancouver area?

if you like - send me your address and i will send you a bunch of outreach business cards. you can hand these out around your city to people you know that might like a resource like this. i have often left stacks of cards at various cool vintage shops when i travel. Anyone who wants these lotta living business cards - send me a PM with your address and I will send you some.

the best way to find if there are people in your area is to use the member search tool. you can sort by location. i found 3 members listing themselves as vancouver, canada on this page. the other 2 were registered in 2002 and 2004 with only 1 post
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/memberlis ... start=2900

maybe reach out to swank hipster and see if you can get him back? http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/profile.p ... file&u=969

---

there was a time when this board first opened up when there were only a small handful of l.a. posters. everything takes time and although connecting online is normal for many of us - message boards like this are still a very new phenomenon in our human experience.

it is absolutely NOT a waste of time for non-california peeps to post here at all. you just might have to work a little harder getting the ball rolling in your hood. one way to see more increased membership from your area is to do some online outreach. post notices on your local craiglist that there is an online meeting place for midmod fans. or if you know of local meetup or facebook groups - let those people know.

ultimately, i really cannot control who posts what or where they are from, but i will tell you that non-california talk is definitely encouraged here. if you turn it around - you are not an outsider at all - you can be the ultimate insider - the one that starts the whole vancouver discussion here.

i hope you will do that!
Last edited by Futura Girl on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:14 am

p.s.
the other mistake that many people make is they post 1 item and then get disappointed if there is no response to it.

it's not that we're unfriendly... well, let me put it this way...

if you walked into a crowded bar or busy party that had been going on for a while and then stood in a corner and said out loud.
"gee, can anyone recommend a good drink here?"

maybe someone might hear you or maybe not? OR a few people nearby might look at you and think - who are they talking to? you might get lucky and someone MIGHT recommend a gin martini... but chances are there's so much else going on you might not get heard at all. so at this point - would you walk out of the bar or party?

well that's what alot of folks do - they post once or twice and then leave upset that no one responded. that's not very social.

BUT in real life - you might walk up to an existing conversation (a thread) listen to what's being said (read the comments) and then jump in and contribute and say - hey I'm from oklahoma and we have one of those crazy dome roof churches too! and then you start to build relationships and get responses.
Last edited by Futura Girl on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:50 pm

Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:15 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:48 pm

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:04 pm

Thanks!

Izzy is pretty hip to what is going on and she's from near here, too. In fact, she and her husband are so industrious they are making the rest of us look bad. :D

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:54 am

Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:59 pm

Them poor Canadians... :wink:

Remember
That ain't too close to CA, now is it?
Talk about

In the meantime, back to topic where scandimod seems to have vanished some place else...
This being said, while being CA oriented, your website is very welcoming to "strangers" from around the globe.

Thanks for being there

:cheers:

scandimod
Modern Socialite

Postby scandimod » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:12 pm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Return to “Announcements”