I Feel Left Out

Information regarding the operation of this bulletin board.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

watchthetramcarplease
Modern Groupie

I Feel Left Out

Postby watchthetramcarplease » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Can We add the Word 'Doo-Wop' to the Glossary of Words? We on the East Coast say Doo-Wop while the West Coast says 'Googie' Here is the defination of Doo-Wop. Thanks in advance (Kory in New Jersey) Doo Wopâ€￾ is the term used to describe the retro 1950s and 1960s style buildings of the city of Wildwood. These buildings, with their distinct and flamboyant architecture, have made the Wildwoods one of the most visited tourist destinations of the New Jersey Shore, and one of the most unique tourist destinations in the world.

The history of Wildwood’s Doo Wop structures and their wild and colorful architecture can be traced to the end of the World War II.

A sense of optimism pervaded post-war America. The Nazi’s had been defeated, the United Nations created, and the United States was now the richest and most powerful country in the world.

The American public had greater wealth and leisure time than ever before. Television provided the American people with glimpses of the wider world, and automobiles increasingly gave the public the freedom to travel and explore.

Doo Wop music, a style of rhythm and blues, became very popular in the mid-fifties. The style featured up-tempo rhythms and often featured lyrics containing nonsense syllables. Bands such as “The Flamingosâ€￾, “The Spanielsâ€￾ and “Frankie Lymon and the Teenagersâ€￾ were just a few of the popular Doo Wop bands in the mid fifties.

Wildwood became a center significant center for Doo Wop music and American popular culture in the 1950s and 1960s, and a number of important music events took place in various clubs around Wildwood. For example, Bill Haley and the Comets first performed "Rock Around the Clock at Wildwood's Hof Brau nightclub, Chubby Checker introduced America to “The Twistâ€￾ at Wildwood’s Rainbow Club in 1960, and Dick Clark’s “American Bandstandâ€￾, aired its first national broadcast from the Starlight Ballroom on the Wildwood Boardwalk.

Upbeat optimism and confidence also prompted a dramatic change

mindreaper
Modern Groupie

Postby mindreaper » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:11 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:27 pm

I like Jack Morey and had a great time at his pier and the motels in Wildwood are indeed superb, but the term "doo wop" as applied to midcentury architecture by Morey in 1997 ("Doo Wop Preservation League") doesn't really do much for me. The term as applies to music didn't even arrive until the 1970s. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Oldies-2943/term-Doo-Wop.htm

I like the term Googie, as it at least dates to the period (Restaurant, 1947 + House & Home magazine article, 1952) and has Alan Hess' wonderful book explaining it.
ImageImage

BUT, if we are to be most accurate, why not just use the unsexy term "commercial modern" It explains it simply and I imagine people can picture it easier than any of our exotic terminology.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 am

yes - the glossary is overdue for some updating. i will take note!

Return to “Announcements”