Opinions Vs. Opinions on Lotta Living

Information regarding the operation of this bulletin board.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Opinions Vs. Opinions on Lotta Living

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:59 pm

Last edited by Futura Girl on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Re: Opinions Vs. Opinions on Lotta Living

Postby sky » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:56 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:12 pm

Last edited by Futura Girl on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sky

Postby sky » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:22 pm

Last edited by sky on Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:24 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Opinions Vs. Opinions on Lotta Living

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:04 am

sky

Postby sky » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:10 pm

Of course I didn't mean you, Joe. I meant some other ignorant naughty girl from Podunk Oregon named Joe. Even James Kilpatrick and Shana Alexander would agree that not every Californian is a caricature of a contestant on a reality show. While they may still hunt and peck on the old Smith-Corona in Duck-dom, we California sophisticates know how to use a spell-checker. We can also pump our own gas, which is more than can be said for most hayseeds in Oregon. And yes, I can pronounce "Willamette" ( http://dictionary.reference.com/search? ... Willamette ), but I bet you can't pronounce "Oregon." All the crack whores at Skinner Butte say "Or-ga-in," whereas in California, we squeeze every last ounce out of our crack whores, like virgin olive oil without the extras, and then export them north of the border to "Or-ga-in."

(Smile, Joe - I know you da man!)

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:45 pm

Joe, I'm glad you think there's hope for us Californians, because when we finish the invasion of your drenched state, you won't be so agitated with that hope sustaining you. You see, after this most rainy of years a lot of us are thinking "hey maybe that next state up ain't so bad."

:P

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:01 pm

Please do, Kev, then the value of my home will skyrocket and I'll be rich! Sounds like a gold rush to me!

Yee-Haw!

Actually, we just ended the winter with three weeks of sunshine and 75 degree weather. Spring isn't too bad as we get as much sun as we do rain (umbrella and sunglasses at all times). And of course, late Spring through late fall are PERFECT, sunshine and 80s! We just complain about bad weather to keep you guys home.

Maybe we need a verbal assault/regional squabble forum to let others have it on this board. Skizzle gets to moderate.

I am just too nice for my own good!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:02 pm

I have temporarily locked the topic about the large new home in Palm Desert.

This is because some users wanted to lash out at a home no one has actually even seen yet? based on heresay - a slanted article by the l.a. times? i did not see this discussion as "Light Hearted, Positive and FRIENDLY!" yup - that's my opinion and as board moderator - is is my duty to make those calls.

I tried to wrangle the discussion around to looking at the story from a positive angle. my post (suggesting we look at the home from a positive discussion point) was not about my 'opinion.' it was about that fact that this is a Light Hearted, Positive and FRIENDLY! discussion board to celebrate the things we like, not a place to slam buildings no one has seen in person yet.

instead of taking that post and respecting the wishes of the moderator, some users continued to defend and flame.

I will re-open that discussion in a few hours after folks have a moment to cool off and hear the spirit of my words.

i am happy to hear what other moderators might have to say on this subject.
but users, please do NOT turn THIS thread into another flame war.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:30 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:28 pm

Last edited by moderns-r-us on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:40 am

I have sent a message to Futura Girl privately asking her forgiveness for my rude remarks and wanted to do so here also. I can absolutely admit that I was in the wrong here. :oops: I think this is such a comfortable, fun forum and lets admit, there is often "snarky" comments made on any number of topics. I guess I felt a little too comfortable and allowed my opinions to become personal about this thread/article, which is totally uncalled for. For me, over consumption is a thing that really bothers me and I forgot that this is not the place to discuss it. So, while I believe my opinion is valid and right (who doesn't think their own opinions are?), I recognize that I shouldn't have written them here.

Again, please accept my apology. Just got a little worked up!

Sara

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:01 am

I must confess that I haven’t followed this thread much. The very title of “64,000 square feet of ugly" was so totally beyond my reality, that I had no interest in the subject. Others did, obviously, and so the thread is locked.

I have to agree with KateT(CA) and so disagree with Futura Girl about “opinionsâ€￾. Unless we are posting an object for sale, or an upcoming event, generally we are posting our opinions on some subject. Both our statements of fact, and our opinions are valuable – as we here have formed an important community. But our opinions must also be civil and moderate. I have seen on other forums that I monitor just how incivility can get out of hand rather quickly.

And sure, a 60,000+ square foot house could be labeled as “obsceneâ€￾. Who needs that much space? After all, Bill Gates only has 50,000 square feet. But really, who cares? None of us has to look at it - it's in a gated community. And the owner is going by the rules, getting his permits, and hiring people to do the work. He could have put his money in a Swiss bank account, but instead is hiring local workers for pay, which helps the local economy.

Let’s save our ire for situations that are important – preservation, for example. And let us look at situations like this as possibly bizarre humor. And let’s keep LottaLiving sociable.

And by the way, the size of the house is 32,016 square feet. Still gigantic, but far less from the originally posted size. And much less than Bill Gates’!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:00 am

thank you SoMo. We all can get a little heated sometimes.

And yes, Tony and MRS, that included me, too! I know I came down a little too hard.

I have moved the inflamatory posts to the moderators forum and re-opened the thread back up.

Let's all learn from this lesson and remember to keep this place friendly. Even if we dislike a design, we can be pleasant about the way we express it, as can be seen in some of the comments still remaining on the thread.

Thank you for your forgiveness and for continuing to make this a pleasant place to spend some time.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:35 am

Actually the thread has been renamed and is not reopened....

In any case, can someone local go take and post pictures of what it looks like from the valley floor?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:19 am

[quote="egads"]Actually the thread has been renamed and is not reopened....[quote]
whoops! fixed that.

Mid-Century Gent
Modern Socialite

Postby Mid-Century Gent » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:06 pm

"The world’s richest nation should be able to produce a free – beautiful – Architecture for individuals – for people – to daily increase the Joy in life." John Lautner

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:47 pm

Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:12 pm

Ryan
Modern Fan

Postby Ryan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:43 am

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:35 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:15 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:28 am

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Since a lot of people are game to draw lines in the sand, I guess I'll join in and add another. I agree with Futura Girl and would like to keep this site "SMALL PE*IS"- and "What a A** H**e."-free.

I admit that I have spewed my share of personal rants and little attacks against people and buildings, but I've tried to keep my occasional bitterness or billowing anger as light-hearted as I can because I find this forum to be a refuge from all of the crap I get to see and deal with every day.

Lotta Livin is a site where I can retreat and find like-minded folks who often enjoy the same aesthetics and culture as I do. I come to this site to learn and be comforted while occasionally griping as I seek a common shoulder to weep upon.

Regardless of your personal reasons for visiting, this forum is a shelter where we may or may not get along on every topic so I don't mind little rules or creative allowances that keep the peace while also letting us speak our minds sans obscenities. For example, this board has heard my screaming on numerous occasions and knows the extent to which I loathe the excommunicated former president of the Art Deco Society—yet I still try to make my rants against her somewhat humorous. My opinion that she will throw her legs in the air for any developer who wants to buy a fake historian is my own, negative opinion, but it is presented humorously. No?

I see no need to comment on that woman's PE*IS size and I already know she's an A** H**e, but why waste your time on this forum to repeat that? Such comments are not necessarily positive or friendly towards her, but they are definitely light-hearted and hopefully made you smile (and at her expense, yeah!).

Also, it's a bummer that a few members are upset about getting their words censored, but censorship on this board is nothing new. Just like a Doris Day and Rock Hudson movie, we can't say #@$*, shaving cream, pussycat, lady of ill repute, pussy, naughty bits sucker and that kind of thing and I'm ok with that.

Perhaps that's the key! The Lotta Living board is light, fun and friendly like a Doris Day and Rock Hudson movie. Tony Randall's roles could not have been filled by Andrew Dice Clay. And who would want a bunch of Andrew Dice Clays at their cocktail party?

This board would certainly be dull if we all behaved like June Cleaver, but there is a happy medium that's not difficult to acheive. So "Keep it happy, keep it snappy, keep it gay!"

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Did somebody say "shaving cream"?

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:50 am

sky

Postby sky » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:47 pm

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:56 pm

Futura Girl,
As someone who posts here occasionally and as one who moderates a similar sized forum on an altogether unrelated subject, I wanted you to know that I believe your actions in temporarily closing and then deleting certain posts were completely appropriate.

Any forum has not only a subject-matter theme, but a certain style as well. The role of the owner/administrator/moderator is to set the rules and see that they are maintained - all with a relatively light hand - to maintain the kind of "place" and style the owner desires. I believe you fulfill that role superbly!

Ad hominem attacks destroy forums faster than any other kind of post. Expressions of class envy and moral superiority follow close behind. Your style of moderating protects not only your interests, but keeps this forum open to ideas and opinions about mid-century modern living that are gently presented. Thank you for all that you do to provide this wonderful space for all of us.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:31 pm

I certainly agree with dilettante. On-line communities are somewhat fragile and it's very easy for threads to get out of hand rather quickly. I have seen this happen in other forums. So even though some may think it's heavy-handed, it is better to stop potential conflict early.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

Return to “Announcements”