Opinions Vs. Opinions on Lotta Living

Information regarding the operation of this bulletin board.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Opinions Vs. Opinions on Lotta Living

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:59 pm

Dear Members,

I would like to take a moment to talk about expressing opinions on this board.

Lotta Living exists to create and promote a respectful exchange of ideas regarding Mid Century Modernism.

In order to preserve the good spirited nature of the forum, the moderators retain the right to restrict postings from the site and to temporarily ban users who do not adhere to the prescribed codes of conduct.

I want clarify that no one will be restricted from expressing views on personal property rights, government intervention, nomination processes, opinions about buildings, zoning laws, etc. To the contrary, a healthy debate regarding these issues is beneficial to preservationists and non-preservationists alike.

In running Lotta Living, I endeavor to distinguish between opinions and as they relate to policy or position - and opinions as they relate to people. Recently there have been some posts that contained instances of ad hominem attacks.

The right for anyone on this board to express their opinions about policy is fairly boundless, but as moderator of this group it is important to impose some limits regarding non-substantive opinions.

Even the law of our country makes a distinction for different types of free speech. Opinions about substance are welcome. But opinions about personal traits are not.

I know we all have very strong feelings about a lot of these issues and so I appreciate everyone abiding by a certain code of conduct and keeping mutual respect for each other in mind at all times. I also reserve the right to make changes to this policy at any time, for the overall health of the forum.

Remember we are here because of a shared love for the same things – let it bring us together and not tear us apart.

Sincerely,
Mary-Margaret
Owner/operator of LottaLiving.com

P.S.
If you want to call the developer who tears down your favorite building sucky – I'm not gonna be that harsh :wink:
Last edited by Futura Girl on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Re: Opinions Vs. Opinions on Lotta Living

Postby sky » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:56 pm

Futura Girl wrote:If you want to call the developer who tears down your favorite building sucky – I'm not gonna be that harsh

So, would it be okay to say something that, taken out of context, might be perceived as insulting? Maybe even something written in the classical Shakespearian sense, like:

"Joe, you ignorant modern naughty girl." <<<(Original word after "modern" rhymed with smut.)

Or "Joe, you'll have plenty of time for guzzling "Two Buck Chuck" when you're living in a mid-century modern van down by the Willamette River."

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:12 pm

I know you're kinda kidding, but not really.

Actually yes. It would probably be just fine. (BUT there can be a fine line between good natured ribbing - and wording something that is obviously something more than kidding).

Let's say something like "Sky, you ignorant naughty girl." were actually to be written. Even if being called a "naughty girl" may not be that big a deal to Sky - He might even enjoy that :smokin: BUT if anyone on the forum found it to be offensive and informed me of it, as moderator of a publically-accessible board, it would be my responsibility to send a note to the writer warning them they had crossed some lines and that they should refrain from or reconsider the way they word things in the future. And probably it would be appropriate for them to say they were sorry to the person they said it to.

At that point the appropriate reaction of children in the schoolyard would be to mumble something like "Yes, Mrs. Strdddankhj;kn. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to kick sand in Johnny's eyes. We were just rough housing and it kinda happened."

And then we go back into the sandbox and build some more Modern sand castles.

The ad hominem issue for me as a moderator, is like opening Pandora's Box. It is my responsibility to nip things in the "tiny bud" before they become reoccuring "issues." The minute any single person(s) is singled out by any other single person(s) with ad hominem commentary, we start down a road on which I will not let this board go.
Last edited by Futura Girl on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sky

Postby sky » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:22 pm

Futura Girl wrote:Even if being called a "naughty girl" may not be that big a deal to Sky - He might even enjoy that :smokin:

I'm a naughty girl; I need a spanking.

I apologize in advance to anyone whose sensitivities I may offend as it is my province to sometimes walk that line.

For every SM Architect on the board, there are a hundred and one Nichols (five dollars and change). The "morality" incident was an aberration.
Last edited by sky on Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you cracked me up. considered yourself virtually spanked!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Opinions Vs. Opinions on Lotta Living

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:04 am

sky wrote:
Futura Girl wrote:"Joe, you ignorant modern naughty girl." <<<(Original word after "modern" rhymed with smut.)

Or "Joe, you'll have plenty of time for guzzling "Two Buck Chuck" when you're living in a mid-century modern van down by the Willamette River."

every wonder why they use the name "joe" when explaining hypothetical situations? actually, I live in an mid-century modern down by the Willamette River (less than a mile away)!

Skizzle: I think you spelled Willamette correct. There is hope for you californians! I bet you can't pronounce it, though.

MM: thank you for keeping order and maintaining this board.

sky

Postby sky » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:10 pm

Of course I didn't mean you, Joe. I meant some other ignorant naughty girl from Podunk Oregon named Joe. Even James Kilpatrick and Shana Alexander would agree that not every Californian is a caricature of a contestant on a reality show. While they may still hunt and peck on the old Smith-Corona in Duck-dom, we California sophisticates know how to use a spell-checker. We can also pump our own gas, which is more than can be said for most hayseeds in Oregon. And yes, I can pronounce "Willamette" ( http://dictionary.reference.com/search? ... Willamette ), but I bet you can't pronounce "Oregon." All the crack whores at Skinner Butte say "Or-ga-in," whereas in California, we squeeze every last ounce out of our crack whores, like virgin olive oil without the extras, and then export them north of the border to "Or-ga-in."

(Smile, Joe - I know you da man!)

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:45 pm

Joe, I'm glad you think there's hope for us Californians, because when we finish the invasion of your drenched state, you won't be so agitated with that hope sustaining you. You see, after this most rainy of years a lot of us are thinking "hey maybe that next state up ain't so bad."

:P

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:01 pm

Please do, Kev, then the value of my home will skyrocket and I'll be rich! Sounds like a gold rush to me!

Yee-Haw!

Actually, we just ended the winter with three weeks of sunshine and 75 degree weather. Spring isn't too bad as we get as much sun as we do rain (umbrella and sunglasses at all times). And of course, late Spring through late fall are PERFECT, sunshine and 80s! We just complain about bad weather to keep you guys home.

Maybe we need a verbal assault/regional squabble forum to let others have it on this board. Skizzle gets to moderate.

I am just too nice for my own good!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:02 pm

I have temporarily locked the topic about the large new home in Palm Desert.

This is because some users wanted to lash out at a home no one has actually even seen yet? based on heresay - a slanted article by the l.a. times? i did not see this discussion as "Light Hearted, Positive and FRIENDLY!" yup - that's my opinion and as board moderator - is is my duty to make those calls.

I tried to wrangle the discussion around to looking at the story from a positive angle. my post (suggesting we look at the home from a positive discussion point) was not about my 'opinion.' it was about that fact that this is a Light Hearted, Positive and FRIENDLY! discussion board to celebrate the things we like, not a place to slam buildings no one has seen in person yet.

instead of taking that post and respecting the wishes of the moderator, some users continued to defend and flame.

I will re-open that discussion in a few hours after folks have a moment to cool off and hear the spirit of my words.

i am happy to hear what other moderators might have to say on this subject.
but users, please do NOT turn THIS thread into another flame war.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:30 pm

lasquirrel wrote:sad to leave it after this post...

I'm sure that many people appreciate the fact, myself being one of them, that you have started this website. But to throw a tantrum and say Okay, now it is locked is completely juvenile. - I'm sure I'll be banned after this even though I have promoted your website on our neighborhood newsletter and spoke this websites praises to everyone I know- as well as told a few modern store owners to contact you re: advertising. The only comment that got me upset was this...

"the owner owned the land and has the right to do whatever he wants with it" if your comment is true than we should NOT have a preservation section nor even talk about preservation because any owner on any street in ANY style of modern house can tear it down, throw it away and according to you they should have the right to do that because they own the land. I understand that people were a bit hostile but this would've died down in a few days if it were left alone.

you will absolutely not be banned, but i moved your post this 'opinion' thread because the 'palm desert' thread was still supposed to be locked.

i would not call this a tantrum but a concise re-statement of the rules and motivations that govern this forum.

i don't know if you are new to forums or not, but you are new here, so i will explain...

yes. absolutely, it would have died down in a day or 2, but it would have set a precedent for all future discussions. i have been running this board since 1999 and have only had to step in like this on 4 occasions and i think i have only banned 2 people in this 8 year period. (Regular members know these times well - because they stick out like a sore thumb, because they are so infrequent). I think that speaks well about the level of people here and how we moderate here. most regular members know what kinds of discussion are encouraged here. we keep it light - we keep it friendly. we keep it positive.

but now and then, people get their feathers ruffled up and start spouting off, and this is just not the place for that. period. people were bashing a home they had not even seen - based on pictures from the air - from a single slanted l.a. times article??????

if you give a few people an inch - they will take it a mile next time. i ask that all posts be light hearted and friendly. if you re-read many of the begining posts of this thread - they were not friendly - they were downright angry and as you say 'hostile'.

I WISH THAT EVERYONE who got angry over that house would commit to writing letters on behalf of at least 10 Modern buildings threatened with demolition this year. Please let's have that kind of vim and vigor to save endangered landmarks.

re: why the thread was locked:
mid century gent said that my post about it being a potential landmark was 'opinion.' No, it was not. i just said that IF you turned it around - you could see it another way. AND clearly that is why the city council approved the plan in the first place. they said they hoped it would become an area landmark. you can bet they'll get a bunch of lookiloos from that l.a.times article - JUST to see that house.

mid century gent said my post about the pictures was "opinion." No, it was not. there was not a single picture of the drive up, the front door, or even from the angry neighbor's yard. and every other pic was slanted to view the home from angles only a helicopter could see.

mid century gent said my comment about there were plenty of hills still around was opinion. No it was not. looking at the photo in the first post. the home is approximately only 5% of the total image.

instead of reading the spirit of my post - to stop the bashing - MCG decided to post an inflamatory reactionary response to my thread.
i had 3 choices at that point
1) allow the bashing to continue - unacceptable.
2) ban MCG - unacceptable. he didn't do anything that bad - he's new, but very good, poster here normally.
3) lock the thread for a while until folks cooled down enough to read the spirit of my words - because clearly this topic was getting too heated up.

i am sorry to make an example out of MCG, when there were others contributing to his bashing discussion. but he became an easy mark by debating me instead of simply reading the spirit of my wish to abandon the "bash the building" focus.

hopefully, he will cool off and not be too mad at me for this?

---------------------------------

in the meantime... re-read the article from the times. the owner did almost everything he was supposed to - the city council is 100% to blame. the owner even said he would spend more money on landscaping to make the view from below more palatable.

we live in a free capitalist country - property owners should be able to do what they want with what they have. AND on the flip side we have laws and legal process to control growth and building. the owner went through his due process. and in my 'opinion' yes, he should tear down or make ammends for the excavation that was not permitted (BUT this had nothing to do with the approved house permit).

it's called checks and balances and we have the right to vote out city council members who are clueless about preservation.

i hope this helps to clear up matters a bit more.

KEEP IT Light Hearted, Positive and FRIENDLY!
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:28 pm

Wow a lot has happened since I looked at this thread this afternoon. I have not contributed to the 'palm desert' thread because I have been uncomfortable with the tone since it started. But I have read it over the last few days monitoring the "progress."

The issue of conspicuous consumption is one that I deal with often. On one hand I have a moral and environmental dilemma with oversized Moderns; on the other hand I have fed and clothed my family producing some of them too.

I do think that the house was intentionally shown in a bad light by the LA Times with those aerial views. If someone bothered to look at the designers website they would see that the house is kind of interesting in an Organic Modern sort of way.

I actually could see this conflict brewing before the first post by Stephen. I do not think that FG was being too harsh in locking the thread down for some cooling time (webmistresses included). I hope we can avoid any member "timeouts."

For the most part I like hanging out here because this is a fun, positive forum so let's keep it that way.
Last edited by moderns-r-us on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:40 am

I have sent a message to Futura Girl privately asking her forgiveness for my rude remarks and wanted to do so here also. I can absolutely admit that I was in the wrong here. :oops: I think this is such a comfortable, fun forum and lets admit, there is often "snarky" comments made on any number of topics. I guess I felt a little too comfortable and allowed my opinions to become personal about this thread/article, which is totally uncalled for. For me, over consumption is a thing that really bothers me and I forgot that this is not the place to discuss it. So, while I believe my opinion is valid and right (who doesn't think their own opinions are?), I recognize that I shouldn't have written them here.

Again, please accept my apology. Just got a little worked up!

Sara

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:01 am

I must confess that I haven’t followed this thread much. The very title of “64,000 square feet of ugly" was so totally beyond my reality, that I had no interest in the subject. Others did, obviously, and so the thread is locked.

I have to agree with KateT(CA) and so disagree with Futura Girl about “opinionsâ€￾. Unless we are posting an object for sale, or an upcoming event, generally we are posting our opinions on some subject. Both our statements of fact, and our opinions are valuable – as we here have formed an important community. But our opinions must also be civil and moderate. I have seen on other forums that I monitor just how incivility can get out of hand rather quickly.

And sure, a 60,000+ square foot house could be labeled as “obsceneâ€￾. Who needs that much space? After all, Bill Gates only has 50,000 square feet. But really, who cares? None of us has to look at it - it's in a gated community. And the owner is going by the rules, getting his permits, and hiring people to do the work. He could have put his money in a Swiss bank account, but instead is hiring local workers for pay, which helps the local economy.

Let’s save our ire for situations that are important – preservation, for example. And let us look at situations like this as possibly bizarre humor. And let’s keep LottaLiving sociable.

And by the way, the size of the house is 32,016 square feet. Still gigantic, but far less from the originally posted size. And much less than Bill Gates’!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:00 am

thank you SoMo. We all can get a little heated sometimes.

And yes, Tony and MRS, that included me, too! I know I came down a little too hard.

I have moved the inflamatory posts to the moderators forum and re-opened the thread back up.

Let's all learn from this lesson and remember to keep this place friendly. Even if we dislike a design, we can be pleasant about the way we express it, as can be seen in some of the comments still remaining on the thread.

Thank you for your forgiveness and for continuing to make this a pleasant place to spend some time.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:35 am

Actually the thread has been renamed and is not reopened....

In any case, can someone local go take and post pictures of what it looks like from the valley floor?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:19 am

[quote="egads"]Actually the thread has been renamed and is not reopened....[quote]
whoops! fixed that.

Mid-Century Gent
Modern Socialite

Postby Mid-Century Gent » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:06 pm

Futura Girl wrote:re: why the thread was locked:
mid century gent said that my post about it being a potential landmark was 'opinion.' No, it was not. i just said that IF you turned it around - you could see it another way. AND clearly that is why the city council approved the plan in the first place. they said they hoped it would become an area landmark. you can bet they'll get a bunch of lookiloos from that l.a.times article - JUST to see that house.

mid century gent said my post about the pictures was "opinion." No, it was not. there was not a single picture of the drive up, the front door, or even from the angry neighbor's yard. and every other pic was slanted to view the home from angles only a helicopter could see.

mid century gent said my comment about there were plenty of hills still around was opinion. No it was not. looking at the photo in the first post. the home is approximately only 5% of the total image.

instead of reading the spirit of my post - to stop the bashing - MCG decided to post an inflamatory reactionary response to my thread.
i had 3 choices at that point
1) allow the bashing to continue - unacceptable.
2) ban MCG - unacceptable. he didn't do anything that bad - he's new, but very good, poster here normally.
3) lock the thread for a while until folks cooled down enough to read the spirit of my words - because clearly this topic was getting too heated up.

i am sorry to make an example out of MCG, when there were others contributing to his bashing discussion. but he became an easy mark by debating me instead of simply reading the spirit of my wish to abandon the "bash the building" focus.

hopefully, he will cool off and not be too mad at me for this?

Wow, where to start?
1)I would like to state that I was in the desert 2 weeks ago and actually saw this residence from a distance. Thus, my opinions on the matter, based on first hand information. And yes, still my opinion.
2)Anyone who read my first post (now erased) would realize that it was in no way "inflamatory" or "bashing" in nature. I was merely taking a look at the situation from a plausible homeowners perspective.
3)It was not my intention to start a "flaming war" as has been stated
(also erased from the thread). It just didn't make sense for the Host to chastise other posters for their opinions (KateT(CA)). Then turn around and post her own opinions that were not based on facts or first hand information.
4)As a whole, I find the members of this site very well informed, polite and educated. I am personally very grateful for the endless amount of information that has been posted. I especially love to read everyone's opinions, regardless if I agree or not. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
5) I STRONGLY believe in Freedom of Speech. It is the main reason my parents came here many years ago. Not sure from what has occurred on this site recently, specifically the selective editing of posts deemed "inflamatory" or "bashing", that this is a good place for me.

In closing, I hope to run into some of the board members at open houses in the Los Angeles area and in the desert. Just look for the bald headed guy scrutinizing every detail of the home. Until then, Chao.

P.S. When in Palm Springs don't miss PSMODERN Tours. The best $65 dollars I have ever spent!
"The world’s richest nation should be able to produce a free – beautiful – Architecture for individuals – for people – to daily increase the Joy in life." John Lautner

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:47 pm

Mid-Century Gent wrote: [It just didn't make sense for the Host to chastise other posters for their opinions (KateT(CA)). Then turn around and post her own opinions that were not based on facts or first hand information.

Thank you, Mid Century Guy.
I have been posting her for quite some time, but this is the first time I have ever had my mouth shut by a moderator. Light-hearted, positive and friendly indeed. I'll think long and hard about posting anything here in the future.
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:12 pm

Thank you for sharing your views.

Now I will remind you of the Registration Agreement regarding "free speech" on this site, which is standard for all online forums.
"You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit."

The following (removed) comments were considered un-friendly to the forum:
"disgusting"
"What a A** H**e."
"ugliest... run roughshod...enormous ego...lack of taste"
"ugliest"
"SMALL PE*IS? HAVE I GOT A HOUSE FOR YOU!"
"eyesore... monstrosity"
"over-consumerism" "abomination"

These and the accompanying banter regarding them was removed for the sake of future healthy positive discussions.

Please let me know if you would ever like to re-join the forum.

Ryan
Modern Fan

Postby Ryan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:43 am

I wasn't even a poster on that thread, and I was just going to slink away to my own sandbox, but I feel like I have to say that your "this is america: first you get the money, then you get the power, then you can do whatever you want" argument is pretty much counter to the whole preservation aspect of this board. I think those posts have been removed now anyway, but they were quite revealing.
I'll be taking a break and thinking hard before I contribute around here again.

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:35 am

Futura Girl wrote:Thank you for sharing your views.

Now I will remind you of the Registration Agreement regarding "free speech" on this site, which is standard for all online forums.
"You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit."

The following (removed) comments were considered un-friendly to the forum:
"disgusting"
"What a A** H**e."
"ugliest... run roughshod...enormous ego...lack of taste"
"ugliest"
"SMALL PE*IS? HAVE I GOT A HOUSE FOR YOU!"
"eyesore... monstrosity"
"over-consumerism" "abomination"

These and the accompanying banter regarding them was removed for the sake of future healthy positive discussions.

Please let me know if you would ever like to re-join the forum.

Futura Girl, this reply would make it seem as though Kata(CA) herself were the author of ALL the comments you cited. I think you should make it clear for those readers coming into the middle of all this and unable to see the original positng that she was not.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:15 am

actually home boy... one of those lines was hers.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:28 am

I have now received 2 private messages (from S'Wonderful and Scowsa) saying is essence, thank you so much for the forum, but i don't like the censorship. well folks - limited censorship is part of every forum.

I will remind you yet again about the Registration Agreement regarding "free speech" on this site, which is standard for all online forums.

Anyone who disagrees with the limited censorship of this forum (2 major times over a period of 8 years - as opposed to some forums where they have daily/even weekly 'censorship') please don't bother complaining.
simply resign from the forum and leave, or PM me and I will disable your account immediately.

Thank you for your support.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Since a lot of people are game to draw lines in the sand, I guess I'll join in and add another. I agree with Futura Girl and would like to keep this site "SMALL PE*IS"- and "What a A** H**e."-free.

I admit that I have spewed my share of personal rants and little attacks against people and buildings, but I've tried to keep my occasional bitterness or billowing anger as light-hearted as I can because I find this forum to be a refuge from all of the crap I get to see and deal with every day.

Lotta Livin is a site where I can retreat and find like-minded folks who often enjoy the same aesthetics and culture as I do. I come to this site to learn and be comforted while occasionally griping as I seek a common shoulder to weep upon.

Regardless of your personal reasons for visiting, this forum is a shelter where we may or may not get along on every topic so I don't mind little rules or creative allowances that keep the peace while also letting us speak our minds sans obscenities. For example, this board has heard my screaming on numerous occasions and knows the extent to which I loathe the excommunicated former president of the Art Deco Society—yet I still try to make my rants against her somewhat humorous. My opinion that she will throw her legs in the air for any developer who wants to buy a fake historian is my own, negative opinion, but it is presented humorously. No?

I see no need to comment on that woman's PE*IS size and I already know she's an A** H**e, but why waste your time on this forum to repeat that? Such comments are not necessarily positive or friendly towards her, but they are definitely light-hearted and hopefully made you smile (and at her expense, yeah!).

Also, it's a bummer that a few members are upset about getting their words censored, but censorship on this board is nothing new. Just like a Doris Day and Rock Hudson movie, we can't say #@$*, shaving cream, pussycat, lady of ill repute, pussy, naughty bits sucker and that kind of thing and I'm ok with that.

Perhaps that's the key! The Lotta Living board is light, fun and friendly like a Doris Day and Rock Hudson movie. Tony Randall's roles could not have been filled by Andrew Dice Clay. And who would want a bunch of Andrew Dice Clays at their cocktail party?

This board would certainly be dull if we all behaved like June Cleaver, but there is a happy medium that's not difficult to acheive. So "Keep it happy, keep it snappy, keep it gay!"

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Did somebody say "shaving cream"?

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:50 am

Futura Girl wrote:actually home boy... one of those lines was hers.

Yes, "over-consumerism" and "abomination" were hers and she stands by them. I just want the record to show that Kate(CA) was not responsible for the vulgar and personal comments. The implication seems to be that she was.

sky

Postby sky » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:47 pm

Lynxwiler wrote:This board would certainly be dull if we all behaved like June Cleaver, but there is a happy medium that's not difficult to acheive.

And yet, there is still this, my favorite June Cleaver quote: “Ward, weren’t you a little hard on the Beaver last night?â€￾ But it could be that is just an urban myth.

I am proud to elevate the discussion by noting that I am the only LL member to use the words penis and vagina (different posts) in their proper contexts. You can look it up! (Nichols did use one, but as a proper noun.) I like to think that I use these words for goodness as well as evil.

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:56 pm

Futura Girl,
As someone who posts here occasionally and as one who moderates a similar sized forum on an altogether unrelated subject, I wanted you to know that I believe your actions in temporarily closing and then deleting certain posts were completely appropriate.

Any forum has not only a subject-matter theme, but a certain style as well. The role of the owner/administrator/moderator is to set the rules and see that they are maintained - all with a relatively light hand - to maintain the kind of "place" and style the owner desires. I believe you fulfill that role superbly!

Ad hominem attacks destroy forums faster than any other kind of post. Expressions of class envy and moral superiority follow close behind. Your style of moderating protects not only your interests, but keeps this forum open to ideas and opinions about mid-century modern living that are gently presented. Thank you for all that you do to provide this wonderful space for all of us.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:31 pm

I certainly agree with dilettante. On-line communities are somewhat fragile and it's very easy for threads to get out of hand rather quickly. I have seen this happen in other forums. So even though some may think it's heavy-handed, it is better to stop potential conflict early.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

Return to “Announcements”