Meet Your Lotta Living Hosts and Hostesses!

Information regarding the operation of this bulletin board.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Meet Your Lotta Living Hosts and Hostesses!

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:42 pm

Over the last year or so, I have made a few of our esteemed contributors co-hosts here on Lotta Living. The daily post count has increased at such a rate that I don't always have time to keep an eye on every one of them.

I aim to keep this a peaceful community free from slander, pettiness, political commentary and anything else that might be unpleasant. Yup - this is your online Pleasantville - and yup, it can be un P.C. at times.

So I thought I'd start this thread so you would have a chance to meet your hosts and also to list the names of any new hosts I add in the future.

Hosts are to be respected on Lotta Living. If you find that anyone (including hosts) on Lotta Living says something that is unpleasant or bothers you - FIRST consider if they are saying it tongue in cheek and just ignore it. Or if it was meant to be taken seriously, then don't start a flame war here - please try to work it out OFF the public board and alert me and/or your host of choice if anything gets out of hand.

Thank you for your continued patronage and support.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Now meet your hosts! (and hosts I hope you will say a hello/intro here on this thread)

Futura Girl (that's me)
Joe
I LOVE POWER!
Nichols
TM
Matt Deckard
La Opera Man
Moderns R Us (MRU)
Java
Aly Starr
Last edited by Futura Girl on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

synthetic space
Modern Master

Re: Meet Your Lotta Living Hosts! etc...

Postby synthetic space » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:08 pm

Futura Girl wrote:I LOVE POWER!

What is the story behind this user name? Seems kind of strange for a host of this board! Makes me think of an egomaniacal CEO of some big corporation.... :wink:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:08 pm

Hello I'm Futura Girl.

I have been a member of the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) in 1996 when I found out about the group by inquiring about a cool neon sign that was about to be torn down (it used to live near my childhood home in Sherman Oaks, CA, now the sign Hawaii in the Valley now lives in Neonopolis in Las Vegas!). I had always appreciated the style, but just never knew there were others who had the same aesthetic likes as me...

I soon thereafter went on to volunteer for the ModCom/Society for Commercial Archeology Tour in Los Angeles. I became a Modernism addict and member of the extended ModCom family going to regular meetings, participating in and attending events and contributing to advocacy efforts including:
Exhibits - Wayne McAllister a Place in the Sun
Preservation Efforts: Cinerama Dome, Route 66 Van de Kamps, Van de Kamps Bakery Bldg., Hanna Barbera Bldg., Burbank Machinist Lodge, Woodland Hills Library, Palm Springs Arial Tramway
Tours: Tony Merchell's initial Palm Springs Tour, Built by Beckett, ModCom 202020 Eames House Captain, Cruising Industrial L.A. docent
Produced Events: How Modern was My Valley (tour done for ModCom and the National Trust 2000 conference), Knott's Berry Farm Tour, Mondo Lounge 2004

Around 1997 or so, I decided to lend my knowledge about web design to ModCom and created a full website for them (they had a one page site before). A fews years later as technology become more available, I created a message board for ModCom in 2001. We got a few posts per week. As the board started to pick up steam, I realized there was a need for sharing beyond Southern California and hoped to create a place online where people and groups from across state lines could share information with each other on preservation and other Modern subjects. Hence Lotta Living was born in late 2002. To provide service not only to L.A.C. ModCom, but also other disenfrachised preservationists elsewhere.

Although we are still quite Southern California centric, I hope that this continues to change as we evolve and we can be more and more of service to Modernism that exists all over the globe.

If you are a newbie to this scene or even not a newbie - All I can say is get involved in your local preservation community. you will make some wonderful memories and good friends along the way... and maybe, just maybe, you might even save a cool building or sign along the way!

p.s. and my name futura girl comes from the 1963 convertible ford falcon futura i drive sometimes.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:14 pm

I LOVE POWER! is Ross Plesset and that was his idea of a joke when i made him a moderator :D
he asked me if it was ok before he changed it and i said yes... so as you can see, we do like to keep things a little light hearted around here whenever possible...

LAOperaMan
Modern Master
Location: Los Angeles, in the land Toluca Lake and sometimes in the OC, south of the gates to hell

Postby LAOperaMan » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:20 am

Greetings my Lotta Living subjects, it is I, Opera Man of Los Angeles! I am your source for all things musical and artsy, especially in the world of Opera!

For those of you who don't already know, my name is Greg Iriart, and I live in North Hollywood in a wonderful 1940's Moderne cottage. Although I live in the great San Fernando Valley, my interests lie downtown at the Music Centre. If I wasn't such a poor music school drop out, I would have season tickets for The LA Opera, the LA Philharmonic, the LA Master Chorale, and the Da Camera Society of Los Angeles. BUT, alas, I do not! Prior to moving to LA I was a vocal performance major at Chapman University in Orange.

Aside from being a total and unabashed music nerd, I am also a major advocate for historical preservation! I have been an active member of the Los Angeles Conservancy since 1999, being a member of the historic theatres committee since 2000 and the mod-com since 2004. I love driving around our great city and admiring the great architectural resources that we have at out beck and call. I love the way our city has ran with the punches of the 20th century, and emerged victorious in spite of its numerous conflicts (fires, floods, earthquakes, riots, the formation of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood as official cities, the automobile, the Hilton sisters etc…)

:cheers:
See yall at happy hour!

Greg
Watch less Television (save for the Food Network and PBS), go to more art museums, listen to NPR, attend more Theatre and Opera, and you will be a better person!!!!!!!
DO IT NOW!!!!!!

Matt Deckard
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Matt Deckard » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:06 pm

Hello!

Looking for my Emma Peel.

END OF LINE.
www.mattdeckard.com

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:38 pm

synthetic space wrote:
Futura Girl wrote:I LOVE POWER!

What is the story behind this user name? Seems kind of strange for a host of this board! Makes me think of an egomaniacal CEO of some big corporation.... :wink:

Actually, that's I_LUV_POWER!!!! (with four exclamation points). A lot of people make that mistake, so it's cool.

The name was inspired by control freaks I've seen at meetings (**NOT** Modcom meetings) and in organizations. I wasn't thinking of "egomaniacal CEOs," though you're free to think of it that way.

My interests are listed in my profile, but they include: outlaw designers like Buckminster Fuller, monorails, theme parks, and 3-D films. I have a thing about fun houses, too, and wax museums.

I write articles for movie magazines and about theme parks (when I get the chance).

As far as other hostesses/hosts, I've suggested Las Vegas Lynne in the past, and others have agreed. She seems pretty well-informed and has interesting information.

Finally, I'd like to suggest that... WOW! Deckard really knows where to find hot chicks!!! I'm going to pay more attention to his posts in the Events section.
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:05 am

In December 2000, I was at PDX getting ready to board a flight to San Diego to attend the Holiday Bowl, which I would cheer on my beloved University of Oregon Ducks in a victory over Texas.

Before boarding the plane for my journey south, I decided to grab the latest issue of Metropolitan Home. Actually, it was my first issue. My wife, Tina, and I had just finished restoring a 1939 cape cod in Salem, Oregon, but were planning to move back to our college town of Eugene. We knew we didn't want another cape cod. Maybe a ranch instead...

While sipping a bourbon and coke on my flight, I flipped the Met Home open and saw a house that was quite different. It was kinda cool. While never really noticing Modern architecture before, this one caught my attention. You see, my wife and I had been doing the '30-'40 retro thing with our last house. But it was a little frustrating. Old furniture and furnishings were quite expensive and difficult to come by. We really didn't know anyone with similar interests to share information.

The house was an award winning restoration by architects Mark and KC Marcinik of an early '70s Eichler in Palo Alto. Glass walls, exposed post and beam ceilings, indoor-outdoor living seemed familiar growing up in the Northwest. It also looked like a relaxing life style. It looked like California. I had always wanted to move to California, but decided not to when I passed on a fund raising job opportunity at UC Berkeley. I had recently changed careers from politics and fund raising to graphic design.

While reading the Eichler article, I quickly identified with the home owners. They were about our age. I quickly noticed the home and furnishing seemed much more livable. I the remember seeing flat roofed, glass walled, post and beam homes in Eugene. When we got home, I did a yahoo searched (no google then) "Eichler" and quickly found Marty Arbunich's Eichler Network. Holy crap. It was like a drug. All of the sudden I looked at the Ikea chair in the corner of my office a little differently, as well as the whole house.

At the time, I was commuting an hour to Eugene for work. We had planned to list our house for sale in the Spring. I quickly found my lunch hours were filled with re-con trips to Eugene's south hills where all the '50s and '60s post and beam homes were. There were hundreds. It became obsessive.

I had just tapped in to ebay and found a book that mentioned Eichler in it. I had to have it. As some obsessions do, I knew I had the have this book at any cost. I wound dropping $300 on it. It was Builders' Homes for Better Living, by someone called Jones & Emmons. Today, this book is ultra rare and the latest price I saw was around $800. I guess it was a good investment.

My wife and I read the book and our lives were changed forever. Modernism looked like a good investment and a good way of life. Our plans to sell our home quickly accelerated. We had found several gems in Eugene, but couldn't pull the trigger yet. The Eugene market was much more expensive than Salem, so we were faced with down sizing.

We figured we wouldn't make any offers until our house in Salem sold. Selling a house sucks. All the hard work, sweat, and money into a house, only to find a few realtor business card on the counter with no feedback. This obsessions sucked us in, though. Be we started to realized we could afford the south hills area. Then one day, my realtor gave me a stack of MLS sheets to look at. One stood out because of the roofline, exposed beams and price!

It was in the Ferry St Bridge area, which we couldn't really afford. It was a classic '50 curvilinear designed subdivision of ranch and modern homes, sheltered by sweetgum, cedar, doug fir, and maple trees. The house was affordable because it was a bank repo and had been vacant for a year and a half. It was the eyesore of the neighborhood. Makeshift storage walls in the carport were dilapidated and covered with spray paint. The yard was overgrown and had about a dozen deep holes dug by previous owner dogs. The interior had just received a coat a ivory paint over everything except the birch kitchen cabinets. It was a mess.

After some hemming and hawing by the wife, we bit the bullet. Carried two mortgages for a couple months. One day, shortly after moving in, I was talking to a neighbor who lived in a similar house across the street, he mentioned our house was designed by some guy named Cliff May from California.

After a little research, I realized I finally found my California house.
Last edited by Joe on Thu May 11, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:43 am

My latest obsession are vintage Italian scooters. I ride a '59 Vespa daily and am restoring a '64 Vespa GS, one of the most sought after scooters in the world. They were such an big part of Modernism in the '50s and '60s. Plus they are a good excuse to get together and drink a beer ; )

I spend too much time on bboards, especially this one. :wink: I have had the opportunity to meet several Lotta Living members, which is always fun. :cheers:

As some of you know, I like to share my experience, research, and opinions.

I hope to buy a Palmer & Krisel Alexander in Palm Springs for a vacation rental in the next couple years.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:38 pm

My name is Chris and I've been involved with the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee since 1988.

I was introduced to architecture and Modernism and Los Angeles and everything (and person) I hold dear by a gift of Alan Hess' Googie book for my 17th birthday. It was truly life changing when I contacted Alan and he suggested I look into the good work of the MODCOM.

I also maintain a large library of books, periodicals, and ephemera (including hundreds of restaurant menus) relating to the history of Southern California. I recently completed a book on the architect Wayne McAllister who was responsible for incredible restaurants, drive-ins, nightclubs and the very first resort hotel in Las Vegas.

By day I am a writer and editor for a great metropolitan magazine. I grew up outside of Los Angeles and learn to love it more every day.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:11 pm

awe, chris (nichols) is too shy to tell you about ALL of the amazing work he has done in the area of Modern preservation for the benefit of the Conservancy and all of us... the buildings he's saved and the events he has hosted are legendary!!!

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:32 am

Futura Girl wrote: . Yup - this is your online Pleasantville - and yup, it can be un P.C. at times....

It's been a while since I've seen Pleasantville, and maybe I'm getting it mixed up with Back to the Future or Peggy Sue, but I think in that movie men could sexually-harass women and get away with it. :wink:
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:04 am

I_LUV_POWER wrote:It's been a while since I've seen Pleasantville, and maybe I'm getting it mixed up with Back to the Future or Peggy Sue, but I think in that movie men could sexually-harass women and get away with it. :wink:

I think that would be an accurate statement for all three movies because that's just the way it was in the 50s.

"Pleasantville"￾ might be a bad metaphor, though. "Pleasantville" was only pleasant on the surface - it became intolerant very quickly - and who knows what developers did to their town once they started accepting change.

So, ILP, suppose you had a flux capacitor, which as we all know is what makes time travel possible. What would you do to deliberately change the space-time continuum?

Save the Clock Tower!

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:28 am

nichols wrote:...I recently completed a book on the architect Wayne McAllister who was responsible for incredible restaurants, drive-ins, nightclubs and the very first resort hotel in Las Vegas.

By day I am a writer and editor for a great metropolitan magazine. I grew up outside of Los Angeles and learn to love it more every day.

1. You mean the Daily Planet? Office at that building foolishly called, by Angelenos, "City Hall?"

2. When will the McAlister book be out? I've finished reading Lynxwiler's Wilshire Boulevard book and can't survive long without a book on LA architecture by a MODCOMer.

Regards
Dave

PS I wish I could be on your McDonalds tour.
Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun May 14, 2006 12:43 am

Joe wrote:Before boarding the plane for my journey south, I decided to grab the latest issue of Metropolitan Home.

it's funny, i subscribed to metropolitan home the first year it came out because i loved all it represented - neat looking city homes as opposed to the country cottages you saw in most mags at the time (pre dwell era). i did not know what 'modern' was at the time...but i know it had an early effect on shaping my later love.

Java
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Java » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Howdy! For those who don't know me, I'm the Java of Java's Bachelor Pad (http://www.javasbachelorpad.com)--a celebration of 1950's bachelor pad culture. I've been running the site since 1999 and from what I hear it's one of the more popular retro websites around. ;)

I also host a weekly lounge and exotica radio program called The Bachelor Pad. I broadcast it live over the 'net Friday nights at 11pm (eastern)/8pm (pacific). While the show is on, we have a cocktail hour chat here on LL. If you've never stopped by, grab a martini galss and join us!

Twice-a-year I host an on-line pin-up contest where the best modern pin-ups compete for prizes and the title of Cheesecake Queen. That's done at the Cheesecake Contest Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JBPCheesecake/.

And last but not least, I am the co-producer (along with FG) of the very successful Mondo Lounge Atomic Frolic which was held in downtown Las Vegas in January.

I'm happy to step up into the role of moderator here at LL! Thanks!

Keep Swinging!
Java

Return to “Announcements”