H U G E forum - Changes to Organization and Structure

Information regarding the operation of this bulletin board.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

H U G E forum - Changes to Organization and Structure

Postby nichols » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:50 pm

these changes are making me koo koo
soooo much to look at... #-o

~title modified and thread moved to announcements forum by moderator on 11-18-05

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:49 pm

yah - i've been up top a little monkey business...
:monkey:
it was getting unmanageable for me as a moderator without more segmentation. remember the handy little view new posts across all forums and then you don't have to see all the categories.

hopefully the color change will help make it easier to read?
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24 pm

probably for the best. really just split up the mondo lounge. good job, mm. that must have been painfull going through all the threads.

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Futura Girl wrote:yah - i've been up top a little monkey business...
:monkey:
it was getting unmanageable for me as a moderator without more segmentation. remember the handy little view new posts across all forums and then you don't have to see all the categories.

hopefully the color change will help make it easier to read?

Futura Girl,
I am lost. I see the View Posts Since Last Visit & View Unanswered Posts, but I'm blind. Can you help direct me to the New Posts Across All Forums, Thanks!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:32 am

no - my fault - i wasn't clear.... the "view new posts" will actually allow you to view all new posts across all the forums.

FOR ADVANCED USERS :)
a little trick i use is.... i "view new posts since last visit" and then right click on the threads and open them up in new windows.
i do this because i find if i am on the board for long enough time - the program starts to consider some of the posts not so 'new' anymore and will stop showing them on your new posts list.

-----------------------------

i am also hoping by breaking up the topics a bit more it will encourage more friendly banter about all the misc. things that get us excitied: the food, drinks, clothing, music etc. it can kind of be daunting to hit a board with all the serious "preservation talk" for some new users.

this is my spoonful of sugar approach. i want people to get hooked about the stuff we love and then maybe, just maybe, someone will see a post about a cool building and say "hey i want to save that one..." voila! more preservationists to save the buildings we love!!! and visa versa - us serious minnded preservationists get a chance to lighten up a bit and chit chat around the proverbial virtual water cooler with others who 'get' our obsession.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

PlanetGlass
Modern Master

Postby PlanetGlass » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:21 am

I would strongly suggest moving the "events" board back up to the main discussion area, and perhaps moving the "roadside rambling" one down, as "events" is more germain to modcom than the other board, and important to warrant being up higher.

Laura

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:05 pm

The way I was looking at it Roadside stuff is Architecture... but Events is not quote "Modern Architecture"

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:32 pm

let me know if you see things that are miscategorized...

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:52 pm

When I saw the new layout the other day, one of the first things I did was look for the Lynxmeister's monument In-n-out thread in the food and drinks forum. When I didn't see it there, I wasn't going to point it out, but since you asked ...

I think I finally found the In-n-Out thread in the Mondo Lounge. Also, Bartlow (the thread; not the person) was there too, and probably belongs in entertainment ... well, it was meant to be a form of entertainment anyway.

While I like the new format generally, I don't like having to scroll so much on the first page. (But, of course, I also think that Bender should have a forum onto himself, but I can't have it both ways, can I?) Maybe you can sell Lotta-Living mid-century modern mice, with built-in buttons that can be programmed to our favorite forums, alliteratively speaking.

I agree with PlanetGlass that the Events forum is kind of main-stream and belongs in the first section. You can gauge that by the amount of traffic it gets.

Thanks for all the improvements, though. It's always fun to see new things.
Last edited by sky on Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:35 pm

i know i know - i HATE forums that have too many categories and all the scrolling, but i just didn't know what else to do - it was getting too well... crowded. bear with me folks, please.

i rolled music into entertainment so that is one less category.

thanks for the heads up sky - i haven't wuite finished going through the mondo lounge posts, but keep that feedback coming.

i wish there was a way to customize your views - maybe that's something the software will offer in the future?

as far as events go - i know it gets alot of traffic, but it really does not belong under "modern architecture." i'll move it to the top of the lounge though.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:58 am

as you can see - i'm still working out the bugs on this reorganization... uploaded a ton of changes tonight that will hopefully make the forum easier to navigate.

sky

Postby sky » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 am

Looks very nice - much cleaner and - well, more modern.

What happened to the Cherry Capri link? You guys have some sort of tiff?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:38 pm

no? i saw cherry right before thanksgiving and she was in good spirits.
there should be 3 small banner ads at the top... cherry, fedora lounge and tiki central.

sky

Postby sky » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:55 pm

Putting all facetiousness aside -
no, not there ===>
<=== over there,
no, lower -
I only see the two links; the Fedora Lounge, and Tiki Central -
but I figured if anyone knew what should be there, it would be you, so I cleared out my IE cache, and still no Cherry -
and then I booted up my Linux box, and using Firefox, there she was -
so blame it on the Bosa Nova, or on Bill Gates ... you probably thought I was nuts, but there's something not quite right in Microsoftville.

sky

Postby sky » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:01 pm

Not proof positive, but this is what I see:

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:08 pm

I like the improvements!

It just takes a little time to get used to it

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:15 pm

thanks for bearing with me on it.

i am looking at many different forums and trying to create a best of breed here as well as making sure we get enought traffic to keep Lotta Living both lively and useful. so am also looking to make alliances with other like minded Modernists across the net...

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:55 am

I'm married to a user-interface designer so that makes me an expert, I know. :roll:

But, the "new posts since you last visited" link disappears once I go into a string of posts. I can get back to it by using the back button.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:39 am

how the view posts since your last visit operates i cannot control because it's embedded in the program.
what i do is hit that link - and then right click on all the posts i want to see to open them in a new window. so i don't loose the list of posts.

does this help?

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:11 am

Muchas Gracias!

I figured out if i click on LottaLIving.com Forum Index, it takes me back to a page where the option I want is available again. :)

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:16 pm

Futura Girl wrote:let me know if you see things that are miscategorized...

I'm afraid the new categorization doesn't make much sense to me. Perhaps more descriptive names for he new sub-sections?

Dave
Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

roadsidepictures

Any Word on the Photo Gallery?

Postby roadsidepictures » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:29 pm

Will there be a gallery soon?

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:49 pm

davidk6 wrote:
Futura Girl wrote:let me know if you see things that are miscategorized...

I'm afraid the new categorization doesn't make much sense to me. Perhaps more descriptive names for he new sub-sections?

Dave

I just had another look at the section names. The highest-level ones are very descriptive, but I'm still a bit uncertain about the lower-level ones.

Dave
Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

sky

Postby sky » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:51 pm

Futura Girl wrote:there should be 3 small banner ads at the top... cherry, fedora lounge and tiki central.
Well - now, I'm getting a peek-a-boo Cherry. Sometimes I see her; sometimes I don't. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Board.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:29 am

david6:
not sure where your confusion is? perhaps you could be more specific about what you don't understand?

roadside:
yes - the gallery WILL be back up and running soon - i just literally got off the phone with my programmer and we are finally finishing MONDO-VEGAS and next will be rectifying the ongoing problems with the gallery...and then... *drum roll please* :drum:
a really good chat program!!!

sky:
don't know what to say about cherry? i have actually had that same problem with her banner randomly not showing up - it just hasn't happened for a long while to me so i thought it had fixed itself. well, you know - she's a crazy unpredictable redhead!

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:50 am

Futura Girl wrote:david6:
not sure where your confusion is? perhaps you could be more specific about what you don't understand?

There are a number of sub-forum titles that are ambiguous, at least to many members of LL -- in the sense that, when I have the time, I check out sub-forums that I don't usually get to and find very interesting posts that I would have expected to have been posted in some other sub-forum.

I'm afraid I can't be more specific as I don't keep track of occurrences of this phenomenon...so I'll make do with "View posts since your last visit" and hope not to miss too much of interest.

BTW, since the above sounds somewhat negative, let me say that, to my mind, LL is one of the best, most fun and informative, web sites that I know of. It really helps us enjoy LA for the (too) few months each year that we're there, and has led to meetings with a number of great folks, including Lynxwiler, Nichols, LAKevin and Debra, whose logon I can't recall (something re LosFeliz; maybe just "LosFeliz."

Dave

roadsidepictures

Postby roadsidepictures » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:18 pm

roadside:
yes - the gallery WILL be back up and running soon - i just literally got off the phone with my programmer and we are finally finishing MONDO-VEGAS and next will be rectifying the ongoing problems with the gallery...and then... *drum roll please*
a really good chat program!!!

Sounds great to me!!! Can't wait!! 8)

Gabe's Bar, North Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to “Announcements”