Carhop service

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Matt Deckard
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Carhop service

Postby Matt Deckard » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:19 am

What ever happened to carhop service where you drove up to a space and a woman rolled up on skates and you ordered your food. She'd return with a tray attach it to your window, and if you like the service you'd leave a tip.

Nowadays Carhop service is still around, though Rally's, the last few I have been to, bring your food to your car in a bag and you only see the attendant once. You have to leave the trash on the stand by the car.

Looking for my Emma Peel.

END OF LINE.
www.mattdeckard.com

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:17 am

There's a chain called "Sonic Drive-In" in the Southeast that is similar - however you order by pressing a button on the menu sign and then the food is delivered via female attendent. In some areas the servers wear roller blades (something about the real 4-wheeled roller skate that I miss).

Sonic features a pseudo-50's drive-in style:

http://www.sonicdrivein.com/index.jsp

No great images there - if you haven't seen one there are two legs of a boomerang providing awnings for autos with the kitchen/building at the apex. Posts and styling suggest chrome and deco.

-- John

luke_trash
Modern Master

Postby luke_trash » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:41 am

They have Sonic up here in Iowa too. I went to one once and I had to walk up to the window to get service. The gal wouldn't respond to my button pushing at the drive up.

She said it was too cold to come outside (it was like 50 degrees in October that day)

They have a lime/cherry (or is it lime/strawberry) slushie thing that I thought was pretty good.

I give my money to a local mom and pop joint that sells REAL american cooking though. I figure they need the money more than Sonic's franchise owner. Plus I asked her if they're having classic car cruise-ins and she told me yes. They have a 12" diameter tenderloin there too, and I LOVE me some tenderloins! They don't have a drive-in setup, because they are in a DonutLand building though :(

A historical society pumped money into a cafe and gas station at the intersection of the Lincoln and Jefferson Highways about 15 miles west of my city:

Not that any of you will ever be in central Iowa, but I recommend eating here too. GREAT Tenderloins and great onion rings :) Plus it's all dones up diner style.

I'm planning on touring the cafes of Iowa this summer on my motorcycle and doing a photo/writeup about each one.
old beats new

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:22 am

I dig me some tenderloins too!

Sonic does have this jalapeno burger that's mighty tasty - not exceptional but it'll work in a pinch. The local sonics also do the weekend cruizer thing - lotta fun.

There's also the Starlight Drive In (probably the last drive-in located in Atlanta), that does the cruise-in thing (they sometimes show classic movies for the crowd when it gets dark).

-- John

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Satan's Sin » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:21 am

Doesn't the "Varsity" in Atlanta still have carhop service?

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:00 am

I believe the downtown Varsity location still has that going on - it's a far cry from the multi-tiered service with full time runners that existed in the past, however. You simply can't beat a couple of griddle-flattened chili dogs with extra onions and an FO (Frosty Orange) served in your car.

-- John

SpudGirl
Modern Master

Postby SpudGirl » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:06 pm

Does the A&W on Holt in Upland still have the car hop service? We would stop there on our way back from Claremont to get root beers....plus they have a "classic car"night too. Or at least they did - I haven't been there in years.....

Spudgirl

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Southern California Sonic Drive-ins

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:38 pm

There's a Sonic Burger in Anaheim, one in Shafter, and 8 in Bakersfield. I think Shafter is the next town over from Bakersfield.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

There's a Sonic

Postby modfan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:07 pm

In Merced too.
It's kinda Googie. I didn't see servers with roller skates tho but it had the system of pressing a button on the menu sign.

coreyo
Modern Fan

Postby coreyo » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:22 pm

Matt Deckard
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Matt Deckard » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:57 pm

So has anybody seen rollar skating service after the 70's?

END OF LINE.

www.mattdeckard.com

modchick65
Modern Fan

Postby modchick65 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:26 pm

Save Wildwood, NJ!!

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:22 am

Matt Deckard
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Matt Deckard » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:37 am

I have been to a few Allen & Wright restaurants that still have car hop service, though they are fading a way.

I think the Derby in Hollywood used to have a car hop setup. I think that the place would be much better off if they'd drop the Louise's and start selling burgers and shakes. Louise's is a nice restaurant, though the feeling of the building does not lend itself to opulant meals served with wine. It's a cozy place where you can hang out and dance, and if done right, drive up and eat.

END OF LINE.

www.mattdeckard.com

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:09 pm

It's horribly goofy and silly, but check this out:

Probably the only food servers on skates in Southern California - they have been around for maybe 15-20 years....

http://www.friscos.com/

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”