Los Angeles, CA - Just stumbled upon this house for sale

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

DamonBoost
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Los Angeles, CA - Just stumbled upon this house for sale

Postby DamonBoost » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:57 pm

if it fits anyones needs.. I thought it looked pretty cool..

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeLis ... ksrc=00001
::damon::

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby L.A.kevin » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:36 pm

Wow! I wish there were more pictures. Looks very Schindler-esque. I really like it. Hard to tell from the one photo though. Could be an inspired re-model. The garage door has got to go, though.

The neighborhood ain't the best. I might go check it out curbside...

K

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Hmm

Postby modfan » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:17 am

It's kinda close to the 101. From what I can remember I don't remember it there unless very recent teardown/rebuild. I recall the lay of the land being pretty flat and this looks like it's on kinda a hill, hope it's the correct picture.

ValleyModern
Modern Master

Schindler-esque

Postby ValleyModern » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:48 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

ESF (extremely sexy facade)

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:00 pm

modfan

I drove by

Postby modfan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:33 am

ValleyModern
Modern Master

modern home

Postby ValleyModern » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:43 pm

It was built in 1938. It sure doesn't look like anything close to a teardown to us! Although there is no "sold" sign in front, it is in escrow, however not "sold" until it closes. If the agent is too busy to return my phone call, he is probably too busy to put an "in escrow" sign in front.

Anyhow, the property was in the under 600k section of our website, but we took it off, as it is pending.

Craig Terrien
www.ValleyModern.com

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:58 pm

I just found it while I was looking thru CA ranch homes for ideas. I live in an area of nothing but bland ranch homes and am looking for ideas to buy one and renovate it.. i figured CA real estate ads were a great resource.. and then found this house.. wow..

anyway i am going to make a post about my situation later tonight.. hope you guys can help me out =)
::damon::

mwl
Modern Socialite

Postby mwl » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:05 pm

I believe that the house was designed by Richard Lind. He was a draftsman in Schindler's office in the 1930"s.
Cheers-

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Alexandria Ave House

Postby Josquin » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:02 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:43 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:02 pm

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:02 pm

I drove by the house mentioned in this thread today, and not only met the new owner, but they were gracious enough to give me a tour! It's a very interesting, although once neglected house. It still has a lot of potential, and the new owner is very interested in restoring it. It had been subdivided up into smaller rooms inside, and the kitchen was home depotized, and had spanish saltillo tile everywhere.

As I visited, they were busy ripping out the home depot cabinets, and trying to decide what wold be apporopriate to replace the kitchen with. As was mentioned by mwlactor in this thread, the house was designed by Edward Richard Lind, a draftsman and apprentice of R.M. Schindler.I think that if anyone sees the place, they would see all the little details like Schindler would do. The baseboards were just like the ones in the Elliot house I visited on the 20-20-20 tour.The new owner didn't know about R.M. Schindler, so I'm going to copy some books and articles to pass along.

I gave the new owner the website address here, and I hope we get an online visit.

Kevin

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:40 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:35 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:41 am

[Shoot -- is there anything I can do -- now -- to
"compact" my post? Is the format set irrevocably
by an earlier post? Anybody? I have to say I think it's
important for our new homeowners to have access
to the sort of information provided -- without charge --
above, by me or someone else, as they seek to revive
an architecturally-significant house.

Itchy, Scratchy & Bender, Inc]

modfan

too bad

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:53 pm

they couldn't use the cabinets (& other stuff too) from that post about the Eichler teardown alert in Vacaville.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:02 pm

Well -- not to quibble (and I'm sure it would look good, too) but there would be some differences between the late 30s minimalism of Shindler & Co -- hinged doors of un-edgebanded, sometimes unpainted 3/4" plywood, and the late 50s-early 60s minimalism of the Eichler kitchens; were they laminated or painted, with sliding doors? Tell me more. . .

SDR

modfan

Eichler cabinets

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:08 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:23 pm

modfan

try doing

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:32 pm

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:00 pm

So, I dropped off a packet of info for our new lucky owner of a Lind house. I got to see some other really neat little features I missed on my first tour. there was a wonderful cabinet in the bathroom that had an aluminum striker plate behind the cutouts for the hand pulls. There is wonderful recessed fluorescent lighting everywhere in unexpected places.

I gave the new owner (and I am preserving the new owner's anonymity so they can introduce themselves- figured that would proper) the contact info for Marmol Radinzer... perhaps that firm would be interested in helping with some consulting on remodeling and restoration, since they did such a great job on the Oliver house in Silverlake.

I also provided info on this message board and the Conservancy. The new owner is very interested in joining and learning more about 30's modernism.

K
Last edited by L.A.kevin on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:19 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:04 pm

I've discovered an interesting anomaly-- or anachronism -- concerning Mr Lind, and David Gebhard's mentions of him in print,
in connection with RM Schindler.

The 1982 edition of Gebhard and Winter's "A Guide to Architecture in Los Angeles. . ." (copyright 1975) lists
"Three speculative houses -- 1940; Edward Lind (office of RM Schindler); 423/429/433 Ellis Ave (Inglewood)"
The commentary says, "Three single-floor dwellings which successfully employ a variety of Schindleresque design elements.
The garages face the street, and the houses open to gardens at the side and rear."

Mr Gebhard's monograph "Schindler" was published in 1980; in it he listed "Three speculative houses, 423, 429, 433 Ellis Ave, Inglewood
(with E Richard Lind); c 1940" He did not list Mr Lind in the index of his book.

So, in 1982 (or 1975?) Gebhard seems to credit "Edward Lind"
with the houses, while in 1980 he lists these houses as Schindler's work "with E Richard Lind."

The "Guide. . ." additionally credits "Edward Lind" (alone) with "House -- 1939; 822 Alexandria (Hollywood), and says,
"Lind worked in Schindler's ofice in the mid 1930s. Here you can see how creatively he appied the lessons of the master
to a small, one-story dwelling." This is the house that is the subject of this thread.

None of these listings is illustrated. Has anyone gone in search of the Inglewood trio? Have any other Schindler disciples surfaced?

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:14 am

ch

Apprentices

Postby ch » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:31 am

Well, I don't know if she counts but Esther McCoy worked in Schindler's office from 1944-1947. While she didn't contribute to the world of architecture by designing, she certainly did by her writing.

Also, Harwell Hamilton Harris worked with both Schindler and Neutra during their brief partnership on Kings Road and went on to a successful practice.

Schindler ran a small office and never had more than a couple of draftsmen working for him. The only other "apprentice" I recall reading of was in an obituary of an architect in Phoenix which mentioned that the man had studied and worked with RMS. Of course now I can't seem to lay my hands on the man's name.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:48 am

Thanks, Margot. I was so curious to see whatever there might be on this structure. Now we'll wait and see what the new owners are able to do. Looks like another one has potentially been saved -- a thousand roses to you for your part in that.

Craig, I suppose you've read Ms McCoy's memoir of RMS, the last part of her "Five California Architects." There really is no other source that I know of for some detailed and insightful first-hand observation of the man and his work, as she came to know it.

SR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:05 pm

From McCoy's "RM Schindler":

The first World War brought an end to the initial phase of contemporary architecture in Los Angeles. The Greenes had given up their joint practice and Gill's work had dwindled off. There was little of interest on the scene until Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock House for Miss Aline Barnsdall was started in 1920.

Wright was in Japan much of the time the house was under construction and to supervise the work he sent RM Schindler, a young Viennese architect who had been his assistant in the Chicago office for over two years.

When the Basrnsdall house was completed, Schindler remained in the west. Under the California sun his talent matured quickly.

From his first building he spoke a language that was clear and certain. It was a cultivated language, yet never scholarly; spontaneous but under the discipline of a controlling idea; its graceful phrasing never became automatic or mechanical.

Schindler brought a particular vision to architecture, one in which materials -- and even the structural systems he developed -- were always incidental. He described this vision accurately in 1928 when he wrote in his notebook, "The sense for the perception of architecture is not the eyes -- but living. Our life is its image."

His work owed nothing to the American vernacular; there was no fineness of joinery, no exquisite materials. But as William Wilson Wurster. . .wrote after Schindler's death, it had an "esthetic sturdiness." There was an element of surprise in his forms and details. There was movement, a variety of movement. But whatever the forms, they referred directly to living.

I went to work in his drafting room in 1944 and had the opportunity to observe his methods of work first-hand.

Schindler did not have another licensed architect in his office, then or at any other time. He employed students and recent graduates rather than seasoned drafstmen. Each night he revised the drawings on the board, and often there was a new plan in bold lines made with a blunt pencil.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:36 pm

McCoy, cont.

My first day at work the drawings of the Medical Arts Building [12307 Ventura Blvd; 1945] were being hurriedly finished for the blueprinter. Few windows were indicated on the elevations. "Just draw anything in. I'll work them out when we start building," he said. Then he leaned over the board and took a dimension from the drawing with the carpenter's tape he always carried in his pocket. He made changes in freehand at the last minute before the drawings went to the blueprinter.

During the last years his drawings became terse and fragmentary, and he designed directly with building materials as much as on paper. He took the hammer from the carpenter's hand, and the trowel from the mason's. It was the daylight rather than the drafting light that illuminated the "image."

In 32 years of professional life, almost all his buildings, except, perhaps, two or three, were executed under his direction by sub-contractors. Thus, only a limited number of jobs went through his office -- no more than he could supervise personally. The financial rewards were small, the daily travel from job to job was long and tedious, but only in this way could he maintain complete control over every detail.

Schindler's office was in his house on Kings Road in West Hollywood. It had a well-used look because nothing was ever changed or replaced. He kept a row of jars filled with screws, bolts, and clips on a low shelf where other architects might have stored Sweet's Catalogs or architectural magazines. When leaving to make his round of jobs, he often shook the contents of a jar into his pocket. On his door was a sign: "By Appointment Only," but it was never heeded. One day in the late forties when there were numerous jobs on the board he took the sign down, underlined the words, and replaced it.

By appearance Schindler had a curious resemblance to Rodin's bust of Balzac. He was 5 feet 7 inches in height but appeared larger because of his heavy chest and shoulders; his hair, which he preferred to cut himself, was black and bushy. He was sensitive about his short neck, and had developed the habit of holding his chin high; his photographs generally showed him with his head thrown back. He had his shirts made especially for him; they were of heavy dull silk cut like a short-collared middy. He invariably wore a pencil clipped to the point of the V.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:05 pm

McCoy, cont.

His return each evening from the round of jobs was heralded by his shepherd dog, Prince. The dog stood on his hind legs in the back of Schindler's car -- his head and paws outside the window -- barking furiously at everything that moved on the sedate Kings Road.

The seats had been removed from the back of the car to make room for building materials and a bed for Prince. The door of the trunk was usually propped open by a load of lumber with a red flag on the end; there was often a sheet of plywood or two roped to the top. In the back were sheet metal parts, cans of paint and caulking compound and a complete set of tools. The tools were to try out something on the job and to make repairs at Schindler's home and for friends. On the steering post hung a clip of scratch paper on which he wrote memos.

Schindler was fond of humor; his laughter often rang out in the drafting room with friends and clients. Whenever his neighbor, Theodore Dreiser, popped in, explosions of laughter could be heard. They were both wildly amused by man's foibles and imperfections.

Like all the pioneers of modern architecture, there was something about Schindler's pesonality that mesmerized the client. He did more than inspire confidence, he created excitement so great that clients were willing to follow him. They usually remained loyal even if the building was not wholly successful -- what Gregory Ain, Los Angeles architect, called one of Schindler's "rough sketches of a wonderful and subtle idea."

Schindler might have followed slavishly in Wright's steps, for this was the most important influence in his life. He had evidently pondered this threat; while he was still in Chicago he wrote to a friend in Vienna, "Not one of Wright's men has yet found a word to say for himself."

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”