Modern bathroom ideas

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
texasdago
Modern Master

Modern bathroom ideas

Postby texasdago » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:28 am

Anyone know where I can go to get some good ideas for us to redo our bathroom. I want some ideas that are compatible with a MCM house. Suggestions? Of course, sample photos work for me, too.

sid
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby sid » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:46 am

I’ve just about finished converting my old MCM bathroom into a wet room. I gutted it out which include removing the old closets from the bathroom. I polished the concrete floor, designed a matching polished concrete countertop with an integral sink, floor to ceiling 1 inch Bisazza tile, wet style tub www.wetstyle.net - KWC faucets (sink, tub, shower, etc.) and bulkhead lights. All in all; sort of zen/gym locker-room.

I also had a closet system built in at the end of the bedroom. Below is a rendering of the tub.

SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:20 pm

::damon::

texasdago
Modern Master

Postby texasdago » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:30 am

Cool tub although it definitely wouldn't fit in our MCM-sized bathroom. Besides, the first bathroom we're doing only has a shower.

I wouldn't mind incorporating some of the smaller glass tiles into whatever we do. Floyd designed a few houses in the neighborhood that incorporated glass tiles into their designs but ours has more standard 4 x 4 tiles. I would be willing to keep them but my wife and I are in disagreement. That's OK... I'm willing to compromise - just don't want to break the bank.

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Glass tiles

Postby Chimay » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:25 am

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:25 pm

Chimay

IKEA cabinets

Postby Chimay » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:28 pm

texasdago
Modern Master

Postby texasdago » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:40 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:04 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

Postby jenkinshouse » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:45 pm

Hi,
I am now working on a bathroom as well. Our house's original bathroom tile was pretty ugly, and there were subfloor problems as well which added to us deciding to start over with a new bathroom. We are looking to get mosaic tile and the links provided here have been pretty helpful.
Is $8.00 per sq. ft. about right to pay for a "custom blend"? That's what hakatai charges, and I see it was recommended. I went to another William Jenkins designed house (his own house, actually) and it had a basic solid silvery/pearly mosaic tile which was original to the house. AHA! My original floor plan calls for mosaic, so why was that 4x4 stuff in there??? Anyway, we are planning on going toward the mosaic tile, and I just wanted some reassurance on the colors I'm thinking of. Our inspiration is from a business building down the street from our current apartment. It wows us every time we drive by it. Unfortunately, it's for sale and who knows what will happen after someone buys it. For the Houstonians, this building is on South Rice near Fournace, next to the car wash. Here are a couple of pictures. Don't you think this would look great in a bathroom?
Thanks for the help,
Jason

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 01, 2005 7:32 am

Yes.

Bender man of few words (not like that SDR)

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun May 01, 2005 8:08 am

Wow - simply beautiful - especially next to the ornamental brick to the left, then juxtapozed to the red/orange brick column. Great contrast.

-- John

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 01, 2005 9:16 am

Chimay

extra credit

Postby Chimay » Sun May 01, 2005 10:39 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 01, 2005 11:37 am

coreyo
Modern Fan

Postby coreyo » Mon May 02, 2005 12:19 pm

For some cool ideas:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_kitchen_bat ... 97,00.html

i LOVE the flat sink design, and flat faucets too.

also, if you like stainless steel, check out

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_kitchen_bat ... 35,00.html

i love the show "I WANT THAT!" on HGTV, sunday nights 8:30 eastern, great show!

JAB

Postby JAB » Mon May 02, 2005 5:03 pm

coreyo, I love that show as well. It's on the same time and date in the Pacific region. I was wondering what they used for grout for those cool stainless steel tiles.

coreyo
Modern Fan

Postby coreyo » Mon May 02, 2005 5:26 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon May 02, 2005 5:57 pm

Dontcha love it? Actual information. Thank you.

If Missouri is the "Show Me" state, could Kansas be the "Tell It" state?

Bender like hard facts

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”