MCMs in Florida

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Connie
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MCMs in Florida

Postby Connie » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:55 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:26 pm

I love those 360-degree tours -- haven't seen any in a while. These seem really cranky to load (I have DSL on an iMac) -- but I finally got to see the main shot of the first one. WOW -- that is one sexy property -- a dreamland within stone (?) walls. No architect? This one has the bravado of Paul Rudolph. . .

Thanks -- SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Ann Archy
Modern Socialite

Postby Ann Archy » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:24 pm

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:15 am

Hi Ann,

so ... I've seen a lot of "tabby" driveways without knowing the material's name. And so far I also didn't know that it's used to form "rock lookalikes".

Thanks for the information! It never occured to me that the material of the walls is man-made. Obviously, one should never take anything for granted.

Connie :idea:

Ann Archy
Modern Socialite

Postby Ann Archy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:48 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:02 am

Most interesting. Would the material be sufficiently structural to support steel beams and stabilize a structure, as in the first house, above? (I can't seem to load any of those wonderful images, again -- even with DSL.) Could tabby be used as a surface, like stucco, over other masonry materials, do you suppose? Or do I underestimate it?

SDR

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

So how did 'tabby'

Postby modfan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:23 am

as a term evolve into also meaning a type of house cat?
from googling answers.com
tab·by (tăb'ē)
n., pl. -bies.
A rich watered silk.
A fabric of plain weave.

A domestic cat with a striped or brindled coat of a gray or tawny color.
A domestic cat, especially a female.
A spinster.
A prying woman; a gossip.
South Atlantic U.S. A mixture of oyster shells, lime, sand, and water used as a building material.
adj.
Having light and dark striped markings: a tabby cat.
Made of or resembling watered silk.
[French tabis, from Old French atabis, from Medieval Latin attabī, from Arabic ‘attābī, after al-‘Attābīya, a suburb of Baghdad, Iraq.]

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:00 am

Webster (1958): [. . ."Attabi, a quarter of Baghdad where it was manufactured; so named after a prince named Attab], 1. a silk taffeta with stripes or wavy markings; watered silk. 2. a gray or brown cat with dark stripes. 3. any domestic cat, especially a female. 4. an old maid. 5. a female gossip."

No mention of the building material. How times change. . .?

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:01 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

seems that I

Postby modfan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:16 pm

Ann Archy
Modern Socialite

Postby Ann Archy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:33 pm

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:50 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:00 pm

Connie -- There was no mention of the architects of the two houses you showed us, above? It would be interesting to have some "horse's mouth" info about them -- including the infamous tabby walls!

Were others able to view the houses? Am I beating a dead horse, here?

["Hello. . ? Hello. . . Mr Pommelhorse. . .? I'd like to get down, now. . ."] obscure Simpsons reference

Ann Archy
Modern Socialite

Postby Ann Archy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:21 pm

From what I recall, the "tabby" being made today looks more like cement with sea shells pressed into it while wet. Someone currently living in the South should chime in here (preferably, with Southern accent).

The website listed above mentions "pseudo-tabby" which evolved from the original tabby -- apparently there has been some evolution in the material.

It's very quaint, though. The old stuff seems to be walls and straight forms; the new stuff is bird baths and other decorative objects as well.

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:38 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:17 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:29 am

Ann Archy
Modern Socialite

Postby Ann Archy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:24 pm

You are correct. The bedroom wall appears to be stone. The outdoor wall -- around the yard -- is tabby.

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:52 am

Two years later I have to dig up this thread because I found out about the architect of the first house - Darrell F. Fleeger. He built it for his family in 1962.

It is for sale again and listed with for $900,000.

Sales history on Zillow says
01/12/2004: $465,000
06/10/2003: $403,000

The virtual tours in the first post still work.

Connie

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”