Eclosing the front yard

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stephen
Modern Guru

Eclosing the front yard

Postby Stephen » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:10 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is....

Postby modfan » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:58 am

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:03 pm

modfan, I believe that Stephan's Cliff May is in the Tustin tract that I had identified.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:26 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:42 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:40 pm

stephan, Cliff May had a great understanding for outdoor living spaces and scale when using privacy fences. I suggest you study his use of such fences, along with the works of Garrett Eckbo and Thomas Church. Making the fence look like an extention of the house exterior wall was a nice detail in mcm design by several architects, like Cliff May, Richard Neutra, and A. Quincy Jones.

my neighborhood has generous setbacks as well. I built a board and batten fence to enclosed my courtyard. street side is mostly rock, trees, grasses, and shrubs in a japanese design. the neighbors like it. quite low maintenance.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:42 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:28 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

My site

Postby Stephen » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:28 am

Joe,

Here is something I put together as a site map. It's "pretty much" to scale but not perfect.

Here's a frontal view:

Stephen

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:32 am

that's a rough? nice job.

Stephen, that really isn't a big front yard. Question, are those ugly french doors your main entry? I am looking at the front of your home and getting all kinds of good ideas!

You just need to create an entry path and put some landscaping. Zone-wise, you're in great shape.

my initial thoughts...

- replace the fence with a board and batten fence stained the same color as what the home will be painted. Go as tall as code will allow (6ft?).

- replace those fugly frenchies with original cliff may doors, or a replica of originals (not hard to have made). replace all glass in that door unit and the floor-to-ceiling unit with Mistlite obscure glass. That way you get light and privacy into your livingroom without covering windows. Best of all, at night, the filtered light looks really cool from the street!

- Paint color ideas? See sienna's LB CM thread for that.

- maybe put a post and beam pergola in your streetside enclosed area.

- create a japanese poem stone path (48x24 exposed), staggered from the curb to the front door. Flag stone would be cool too. or 48x48 exposed pavers.

- Landscaping, I would put a palm to the left of the new path (between the new path and old path. Two palms to the right of the new path. together, all three would create an asymmetrical feel. then populate with a couple 6 ft high flax (they'll be small when you buy them), mix in some day lilies, fescue. I would remove the front and side lawn and replace with rock in a natural design. install a drip system. Low maintenance!

If you need layout assistance, I'll populate your map you posted.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:23 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:58 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:01 am

what I described for your entry doors was my first choice. My entry would work too. Several Cliff May homes in my subdivision came with a solid entry door and sidelight, including mine. Opening the interior walls during demo was exciting to see the original framing and stain used!

The door/sidelight fit into the 5'-5" module, same at a double french door or floor-to-ceiling window unit. Unfortunately, my contractor nailed a 2x4 on the post dividing the two panels, making my sidelight narrower. The thin reed glass was a compromise with the wife. If I were to do it again, I would have used mistlite. Since my garage/carport is attached to the front of my house, the trapezoid glazing wasn't installed. Again, doing it over, I would have glazed it too, in mistlite.

In your circumstance, I would split the sidelight into two sections, matching the top-bottom split of your window unit on the right side of the post. I have seen this detail on other Cliff May tract homes. I'll post a photo. Using mistlite in both the sidelight and window unit would be good.

measurements... just split the space in half, 33" for the door and 33" for the sidelight. (of course, framing will take up some of this area too).

Attach your door to the center post side.

I'll take some photos of my pergola and post them (now that it's finished)

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:31 pm

here's the pergola: Image

go here for more pics http://www.barthlow.com/beforeafter/

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:31 am

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:10 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:33 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”