My new MCM in Tujunga Photos

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

bammer
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My new MCM in Tujunga Photos

Postby bammer » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:00 pm

Have finally gotten it together and posted some photos on my web page of my house in the Descanso Tract in Tujunga. I was alerted to this fabulous place from a posting here. The former owners loved brass, big, black bathroom items and swirling granite counter tops, but they didn't do too much to actually destroy the place. They did raise the roof a few years ago. I bought from the second owners. The originals made the carport into the entry/front room in 62, so it's pretty good. Anyways thought I would finally share. Let me know what you think, I am having beam work done next month. Here it is:

http://www.bampro.com/MCM.html

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tujunga House

Postby Josquin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 am

Looks great! I'm so glad you saved this one from the wrecker. I've never seen so many houses being torn down in our neighborhood or being remodeled to hell. Your house was a sure target for destruction. My wife and I are currently agonizing over the sale of our house in Sunland. The house is of some historical interest to the community, but is small, 1300 sq. ft., 2bd, 1 1/2 bath, and on a large lot, over 12,000 sq. ft. The house is a prime candidate for destruction, but has hundreds of batchelder tiles and we're afraid they will end up in the dumpster. We are busy documenting the house before we put it on the market and reluctantly considering removing the tile and hardware. I just keep remembering the comment the real estate agent that represented your house, said, when I visited it with Devildog, "I sold this house to a couple, who said they loved it. The day following the close of escrow they tore the house down."

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:03 am

what a great house! love those wide wide clerestroy windows!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:24 am

love the house, love the wood and original details! worthy of restoration.

lose the granite and black fixtures, though. So '80s

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:29 am

I think it's great. A perfect counter-example to show anyone who says that modernism is "cold" or "impersonal"...

Can't wait to see what it looks like when you get moved in.

By the way, I concur with Joe that I'd lose the black plumbing fixtures. Not a fan of the granite, either, but have a feeling that was installed recently...
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:39 pm

Great house. It's amazing,the more I live in Sunland, the more examples I see of nice MCM housing. In my little Sunland neighborhood, there are all these little sidestreets with little MCM homes, peppered throughout the bungalows, and of course, the new, butt ugly McMansions.

Your house is a perfect example of how MCM can be warm and rustic, while being "modern" at the same time. Because of how woodsy your area is, a house like this is great in that, with all those windows, it really utilizes the outdoor space as a beautiful backdrop for your inside space. No paint or wall art can give you that.

That, to me, is the essence of a great modern house.

Welcome to the neighborhood....I may be leaving next year, as, I've mentioned in other posts, there will be 3 McMansions being built right across the street from me. I fought the city, and the city won. So, I'll be looking for a new place in a year.

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:51 pm

Thanks everyone. Believe it or not I am moved in! I own another house in Cambridge MA (inherited through my family) where most of my craftsman furniture is in storage. Hoping to slowly redecorate in the mode of this house. I hate the black bathroom stuff, and hate the kitchen. The plan is to eventually rip the kitchen out, replace black stuff, remove tile floors throughout and go for the polished cement look. I've taken out all of the wall to wall that was more than disgusting. Also took down a lot of overgrown shrubs and trees planted right next to and around the house. Beams will be worked on next month, parts of 2 need to be replaced. The chimney has a major crack and is unuseable, it's on the list, and the list is getting longer, but it is such a beautiful place. I agree, who needs wall art when you have those windows. I have a retired architect friend, Newell Reynolds who is painting me something, but he still needs to pick out the spot for it. (He was married to Bella Lewitzky and went to USC in 50's apprenticed with Schindler and often painted for Gregory Ain.) I'm sorry to loose some good neighbors, but I do understand completely. My neighbors starting building a "rec room" the day after I moved in. It is now a giant structure that looks down on me, all permitted, all legal. I'm watering the bamboo like crazy. Plan on a tall fence down the line. Any suggestions?

Josquin

Tujunga House

Postby Josquin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:19 pm

I love Devildog's wood and metal fence. It works so well with her avocation and she didn't build it right smack on the street. What do they call it? The great wall of Tujunga?
By the way, I found two more Eugene Weston designed houses in Tujunga on St Estaban. One looks like it's in nearly original condition.

Susannah
Modern Socialite

Neat House

Postby Susannah » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:43 pm

I love all the windows and wood. You are going to have so much fun fixing up this great house. Enjoy! Nice dog too. :cheers:

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Wow there

Postby modfan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:12 am

needs to be a modern committee or something for S/T preservation if there's such a mix of moderns around and Weatherwolde. I agree there are some hidden gems, that look pretty trashed and look like they could be saved (and BTW underground the utilities) that would make the area look so much better.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:05 pm

I finally did a drive up Haines Canyon, south of Foothill Blvd....I must say, I'm bummed that I didn't drive this street when I was looking for houses...There are so many cool MCM houses up there. I know Josquin, you have one up there right? I was supposed to check out your place, but we never got together. Let me know when you can, I'd love to see it.

There are some really great houses up there.

I just wish the area would take a better turn as far as a few things...

Stores...
we have no good shopping here, unless you consider 99 cent stores good shopping (not even the big chain one either, these are all cruddy mom and pops)
We also have enough auto repair and parts stores to cover all of Glendale in a small 3 mile strip of Foothill Blvd.

Restaurants...if you want to "dine" you have to leave town...THAT'S sad.

Police....my neighbor told me that LAPD has 2...yes 2.. squad cars for all of Sunland/Tujunga...That's alot of area for only 2 cars. When you call them, there had better be a murder in progress to get any response at all.

We have alot of empty stores and buildings. All along Foothill blvd there are these blights. I blame the Chamber of Commerce for this. I'm thinking that it is THEIR job to attract real business to the city...am I wrong ?

The businesses we DO have don't do jack as far as making their frontage look appealing...alot of them are crappy foreign owned places who don't offer much as far as what the public really needs, and don't care about aesthetics.

I've been to the neighborhood council meetings and those people really don't have their act together...alot of futile debating over pointless things.

They DID, get the McMansion law passed that limits size per lot, to their credit, but the stucco boxes are still going up like crazy.

I think it's beautiful up here, but there needs to be some serious changes politically for this area to blossom....sadly I don't see that happening, at least not fast enough. I feel like the city of LA doesn't really "have our back" on alot of things. It bums me out, because the area has big potential. Who knows, maybe in a few years it will turn around.

Bammer, I'm not trying to be a dark cloud, your house is awesome...I'm just giving my observations after being here for a year. If we could get a few restaurants and a few more police cars, it would be nice. I hope it happens.

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:38 pm

shannanigan
Modern Socialite

Postby shannanigan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:25 am

-

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Same could be said for

Postby modfan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:42 am

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:39 am

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:26 pm

RnR Beauty Queen....

Very well put. I think you are right on with your comments. I had heard that Tujunga was a Hell's Angels town. One thing tho'. Those close proximity to mountains you speak of are all under attack by developers.
Mc Mansions are going up on those hillsides, believe me...scores of them. They are all being built on. There are more houses coming, and therefor, there will be a need for more commerce.
Also, one must remember that Burbank was once considered a White Trash town too, now you can't get anything there for under 600K...
I was hoping that the Burbank sprawl would spread up to Sunland/Tujunga because it is so close.
It's sad that this area took a down turn, considering that architects like Neutra and Pierre Koenig built a few houses here, as well as other great architects....Silverlake was once a place for the low income folks too, but now, most of it is expensive.
I just drive along Sunset in Silverlake, and now Echo Park and see all the stores painted up nice, and cool little restaurants and wish that the same thing would happen up here in Sunland...There are certainly enough artsy-types who would inhabit these kinds of places.
I know alot of the residents here feel the same way as me, judging by the Neighborhood Council meetings. Everyone here complains about the same things I talked about.
Like I said, the area is beautiful and has great potential, and house prices here are going up for sure. It would be nice to see a little cosmetic improvement happening.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:50 pm

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:22 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:30 pm

Josquin

Tujunga America's Home Town

Postby Josquin » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:33 pm

Ah, the good old days in Tujunga. I can remember the glow of the meth labs at night, the roar of motorcycles up and down the streets, the inebriated stumbling around, the loud wild party fights in the streets, the killer pot holes and unpaved streets. I've always been attracted to this town. The streets are lined with idiosyncratic houses, cabins and shacks filled with equally idiosyncratic people from every where. Parties on warm summer nights in the canyons carousing with day laborers, professionals, artists, musicians, actors and cowboys. To me, Tujunga is the real west, full of individuals dreaming while surrounded by glorious views of nature. Of course it could be better, but there are always trade offs.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:54 pm

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:08 pm

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:09 pm

It's very funny to read all of this. I'm from Cambridge MA, a townie from a very Irish-Catholic working class family. I grew up in my great-grandparents house which they built in 1922, the old house was down the street. Growing up I lived in the ghetto, where the servants lived for the big houses, by the river where murders occured daily (one of the Boston strangler victims was a few blocks away), and the smell of rotten eggs was so bad people would pass out driving their cars on the river road. I walked daily through Harvard Square which had a lot of small stores. I've moved out here because I hate what's happened to my beautiful and funky neighborhood, and that's the rub. Suburbia is an alien concept to me, living here is like the country. I worry about what people think places should be and what the places actually are. Maybe Tujunga will never have a good restaurant, but please let's keep the hills safe, clean and development free.

devildogranch
Modern Socialite

Tujunga chat

Postby devildogranch » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:15 pm

Josquin

Foothill Moderns

Postby Josquin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:39 pm

I think Devildog's idea of a local committee is terrific. We have such a wealth of resources covering all the local masters: Neutra, Lautner, H. H. Harris, F. L. Wright, Jr., Ain and more. Since the Verdugos are something of a backwater, many of our resources go unnoticed and hence disappear without so much as a peep. There's a need to be vigilant and with a local committee we could pool our resources to help identify our resources and educate people about our great local midcentury architectural heritage. We should set a date. Devildog has offered her very cool house for a meeting. It's a great place and a great time to start. What do you think?

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:57 pm

As Devil said, I'm in and will offer my place for the second meeting, is once a month too much? Devil, what time works for you?

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:51 pm

devildogranch
Modern Socialite

1st Foothill Moderns Happy Hour

Postby devildogranch » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:42 am

Would a weeknight evening or weekend afternoon be better?

I'm pretty flexible. I'm thinking Sunday Dec 4, late afternoon - the light is really nice here at that time. OR the evening of Wednesday, Dec 7. ...Thoughts or preferences?

Once decided, I will post on the *events* board - make it open to all.

Marsha

tikiyaki

Re: 1st Foothill Moderns Happy Hour

Postby tikiyaki » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:11 am

PlanetGlass
Modern Master

Postby PlanetGlass » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:27 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”