desperately seeking florida modern

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
davids
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

desperately seeking florida modern

Postby davids » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:53 pm

I'd be so grateful to anyone who could provide me with leads for modern mid-century homes in South Florida; Miami, Lauderdale, West Palm, etc. Thanks.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:59 pm

When we were in Miami a year ago, we took a Modern Tour of north Miami through the Art Deco folks (MDPL) in South Beach. The tour focussed on more transitional Late "Moderne" to early Modern, but they were very keen on preserving what's there... Also, as we drove around the city on our own - there were many modern treasures here and there. Fabulous Morris Lapidus work, the Bal Harbor mall is outstanding Mid Mod Shopping venue, the googie Banana Bungalow, charming roadside motels on the way to Fort Lauderdale and the penultimate tiki experience, the Mai Kai in Ft. L.!

I would contact the Miami Design Preservation League (MDPL) http://www.mdpl.org/ 305-672-2014
PO Box 190180, Miami Beach, FL 33119

It might take a few tries to find the right connected people there - but I know there are a growing number of Modern enthusiasts in that organization. Hey and when you find them - get Miami on the LL board to help with our mutual preservation outreach to the world!

While looking for the url for miami - i also found these guys: artdeco@adelphia.net phone: 561.276.9925
ADSPB 325 SW 29th Avenue, Delray Beach, FL 33445

Yah - they're deco, too, but there is a lot of crossover between the streamline and Modern - bet you'll find leads there as well...
good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.
Last edited by Futura Girl on Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:13 pm

BIG p.s.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is buy yourself an older map of the areas you are interested in and find the older neighborhoods and earlier developed areas. then drive drive drive drive drive (and take your digital camera and paper and pen along). we just did that in vegas and boy did i hit the motherload - i found a couple of really cool housing tracts complete with slant roofs and clerestory windows, and just a few had obviously been re-discovered and fixed up really nice - others were ripe for picking...

Another tip is to just look at the commercial development on main streets and if they hint at 1950s or 1960s design - then drive the neighborhoods behind them, you'll be surprised at what you find.

Find a good agent you like and trust and then TRAIN them. Most agents have no clue about architecture (except for the highly enlightened ones that visit this board) :D Normal agents go on caravans every week and probably see the stuff you are looking for and don't even know it. They look at a pristine sparkle formica kitchen counter and think - hmmm this is a fixer, need to replace that with granite or marble.

Show them pictures. show them bad remodels (stucco over original siding, replaced windows, etc.) and sad "bad bad" then show them a nice photo from a good modern book and say "good good"
Do that over and over again and maybe try a newspaper!

Palm Springs Weekend is a good book that shows both high-end custom and tract housing details http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811828042/ll-20
And I personally like the book, Contemporary, Architecture and Interiors of the 1950s http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0714837571/ll-20

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:53 am

LOL MM!

Just tell the Realtor that your looking for a Frank Lloyd Wright type of house. That seems to be the way they describe any non conventional type of house. :roll:

davids
Modern Fan

Postby davids » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:31 pm

Thank very much for the great advice and comprehensive info!

On one recent trip in the West Palm Beach area, I heard the realtor in the bathroom telling my family that we could change the tile.

I walked in to see 6" squares of Francsican starburst allove the place. the house didn't work out for us and alas, they wouldn't just sell us the bathroom.

Thanks again.

texasdago
Modern Master

Postby texasdago » Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:37 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:36 am

Two issues back of Modernism Magazine had an ad for a realtor specializing Florida modern homes. If you can't find the issue, let me know and I'll look for mine. An interior shot of an Alexander in Palm Springs was on the cover

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:29 am

Check out www.modernsarasota.com. This is the site of the realtor that Joe mentioned. Although she appears to specialize in modern properties in Sarasota, I'm sure she could help you find properties in the areas you mentioned.

davids
Modern Fan

Postby davids » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:22 am

Thanks again for the great info. In my research, I also came across this site for Sarasota School of Architecture homes for sale. I'm looking for home on the east coast of Florida but might consider the Umbrella House in Sarasota once they cut the price........in half.

http://www.shellcottage.com/SSA.htm

Usonian
Modern Socialite

Alfred Browning Parker

Postby Usonian » Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:53 am

You might be well-served to dig up some information on Alfred Browning Parker. He was a Taliesinite who practiced in Florida, adapting Wrightian principles to the Florida lifestyle and available materials.

Parker's work appeared quite a bit in late '50's and early '60's issues of House Beautiful (if I were at home right now, I could give you some issue dates).

There is an architect in Winston-Salem, NC by the name of Randolph Henning who has reseached the life & work of Parker rather extensively. You might want to look him up (he posts pretty often on the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy bulletin board: http://www.savewright.org/chat/wwwboardS/wwwboard.html )

Good luck!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:43 pm

I have several copies of "Florida Architecture" magazine. Has anyone seen this? I think '57-'59 era - they're pretty great. If I could get 'em scanned, I'd post 'em...

davids
Modern Fan

Postby davids » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:30 am

would love to see a scan of cover if possible. Thanks.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”