What do you do to the back side of the front door?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MikeLindsey
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What do you do to the back side of the front door?

Postby MikeLindsey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:57 am

I plan on installing a new front door this week and I will be painting it teal (? we think). It will be a flush wood door, very basic, very true to the original design of the home. My question is:

What should be done to the back side of the door?

I am comfortable with staining the wood the same color as the wood floor, but every other door in the house is painted white (this too might be changed in years to come). What was the common practice back in the 1950s? What are some of you doing now? Should I paint it white? (not sure if I like this idea)

As always, all of your suggestions are helpful.

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:42 am

I'm familiar with your diemna. I replaced my front door a year ago, staining both sides a burnt orange color. From the inside, it does not look right. I am considering painting the inside of the door the same color as the walls, but that would be very blah. I like the idea of having a door that was the same color on both sides, but in reality, it makes for a strange look inside the house.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Postby MikeLindsey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:00 pm

streinen,

In preparation for this question I did do a search and revisited your original post. I really like your doors and thank you for the reply. If we painted the interior side of the door blue, it would really throw off our living room. How are your doors holding up?

In calling a few door installers, every one has said go with fiberglass, anyone install a flush fiberglass door? How are the birch doors holding up (Joe?)?

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:07 pm

When our home was built in '58 the architect called for both sides to be "vermillion"...although...the front door is pushed out into a vestibule and is not flush to any internal walls. It is next to wood/brick on one side and sliding closet doors on the other painted "mustard Gold". Or should be anyway.

If you would like the door painted the same on both sides maybe you could pick something out that doesn't clash with your interior?

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:17 pm

Our front doors are painted orange on the outside, but we went with white on the inside -- partially because all our other interior doors are white (like yours), and partially because the inside wall around the front doors is painted white as well. Here are photos of both sides:

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:27 pm

Hey there-
I also think it depends on what you have going on the other side of the door but I went with white on the inside as well.
Here's the outside.. I went witht he turquoise which I LOVE!!
here's the inside
Whatever works for you I guess..
Cheers,
Mod Diva

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Thanks

Postby MikeLindsey » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:22 am

The white looks good and I think it will match our interior more than stained wood at this time. I can always replace later. I did a little research and found a few wood (birch) doors that suit my needs. I plan on getting started on this project next week. I will post the results.

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:02 am

A little off subject.

Mod Diva...is that a pug in your pictures on the wall?

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:54 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:47 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:56 pm

Sorry a little off topic again...

Here are my two guys on the couchs. Billy and Judge. It's hard to see Judge (the black one). I guess we need to start a "Modern Dog" thread.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Pugs

Postby MikeLindsey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:53 pm

Pugs have hijacked my post! :D

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Re: Pugs

Postby MoneyPitModern » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:13 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:16 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”