where can you buy a dingbat?

eBay auctions, Craig's List, store or product announcements, classified ads.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

where can you buy a dingbat?

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:54 pm

I am looking for a source where you can buy (or have custom made) a dingbat, ala what you see on old apartment buildings.
Either wood or metal will do.

bananabobs
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bananabobs » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:04 pm

:oops: for reals? :oops:
Okay, being terribly blonde...I'll buy, whats a dingbat?
(anything like a henweigh?)

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:40 am

What could be more American on the Fourth than to try and describe a dingbat? First of all, Mega is not referring to this:

http://www.flygyro.com/dingbat/

although they are very cool and I intend to build an invincible army of them.

Rather, the term dingbat refers to a type of building: those 50s-60s apartments, typically two or four-plex, generally boxy, usually stucco'd, and always supported in the front by poles to allow parking under the front apartment. (The name comes from Francis Ventre who, while riding around LA with Reyner Banham one day, remarked, "My GOD that's dingbat architecture!") Every dingbat is essentially the same, cheap construction for maximum density, BUT -- to individualize them was key. Affixed were fanciful names in large, fanciful script -- The Circus Arms, Aku Pagoda, Chateau Seahorse, etc. Of course, no digngat is complete without the attachment to the facade of a piece of architectural eccentricity: an abstracted fish, some dynamic arrows, interlocking boxes, anamorphic squiggles, cones and disks with punched-out designs (made more dramatic by being lit from behind), and of course, that hallmark of the late 50s-early 60s, the "asterisk" or "starburst". These decorative whatnots have, by extension, become themselves known as dingbats.

And I think that's what Mega wants on her house, and I agree! Although no-one should ever under any circumstances remove a dingbat that is presently in situ, the 94 Northridge quake was not kind to dingbats, so maybe someone out there knows where a lonely downed 'bat is sitting, waiting to bask in the sun again. Of course, the construction of one shouldn't be too hard, would it?

God Bless America! God Bless the Dingbat!

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:32 am

Anamorphic squiggles
Ahh... clear as mud!
Just kidding, great explanation! I know what you mean; I never heard them called that. That’s why I am hanging around with you guys.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:23 am

Click on "Exhibitions" to see Lesley Marlene Siegel's photographs from her show "Apartment Living is Great" at the Outre Gallery in Melbourne.

http://www.outregallery.com/frames.html

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:56 pm

Maybe you can buy the stars here and have them made into a dingbat...

http://hiphaven.com/p_screen.html

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:04 pm

$700.00 for a screen door?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:01 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:50 pm

kandersen
Modern Master

Dingbats in the movies

Postby kandersen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:28 am

I think The Slums of Beverly Hills has some good examples of dingbats.

Tikifrog
Modern Socialite

Postby Tikifrog » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:46 am

I just saw that on ebay

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:57 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:45 pm

I realize that if something like the "Wilcrest" script is attached to an apartment building, the apartment complex may be considered to be a "Dingbat" one. Yet, can a text-based sign like the "Wilcrest" be considered, on its own, a dingbat?

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:16 pm

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:02 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:53 pm

and back in the old days of typesetting - dingbats referred to the extended character set beyond a-z.
that wilcrest lettering was actually the kind of dingbat i was originally looking for.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:11 pm

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:09 pm

How about this dingbat made by Stan Bitters sitting in front of the Water Tree Inn motel in Fresno?
What a beauty!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri May 16, 2008 1:52 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri May 16, 2008 10:58 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri May 16, 2008 11:36 am

scowsa

tomb
Modern Master

Postby tomb » Sun May 18, 2008 9:25 am

i already PM'd this address to futura girl (just signed up, couldn't last night)
looks like these guys have lots of different options...

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon May 19, 2008 6:59 pm

As the Crapi and Chee Zee apartment dingbats appear to be new, have you considered contacting the owners and asking them who did the work for them?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Marketplace”