Anonymous MCMs

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Anonymous MCMs

Postby Miguel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:54 pm

Anybody knows who designed these homes?

http://spaces.msn.com/mrsantosspace/photos/
Last edited by Miguel on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:57 pm

cool houses, but they are not familiar. I would say they are builder designed homes

Miguel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Anonymous MCMs

Postby Miguel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:30 pm

Hey, Joe. Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently in escrow for the white one with the car port; I went to the city planning office and they didn't have a name for the construction company, so I'm trying to find out if anybody have seen similar homes in CA. The house is from 1958 and part of a tract in a Fresno neighbourhood.

Fresno also has a large number of Cliff May homes, by the way.

Miguel

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

whoda thunk

Postby modfan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:57 pm

Cool MCM homes in Fresno.

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:00 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:53 am

hey miguel, your house is pretty cool. can't wait to see inside! Is your lot flat of on a hill? I DO like a shed roof. If I were building today, I think I would have a shed roof.

yes, I have heard there were some Cliff May homes in Fresno. There was a custom Cliff May bank repo with orchard property for sale outside of fresno for under $400K last year. Don't know what happened to it...

If you have any cross streets for those Cliff May tracts, let me know. I am making a map.

Also, I have heard that Eichler built a couple custom Eichlers in the Fresno area, but haven't seen them. Jones & Emmons' designs. Just rumors as I have not seen them. I would not be surprised if you found some Jones & Emmons designed tract homes built by Pardee-Philips

Good to see fresno in the house!

Miguel

Cliff Mays in Fresno

Postby Miguel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:33 am

Thanks for the tips, Joe.

I don't know the exact streets where the Cliff Mays are, since I just drove past them while scooping around for a home. Although they will be very likely in the NW area enclosed by the N West Ave on the west, Blackstone Ave on the East, Sierra Ave in the North and Shaw Ave in the south. I'll try to get more detailed info on their exact location.

That area has a lot of gorgeous mid-century homes, some of them I suspect are Eichlers.

My (future) home is on a pretty good size flat lot with a pool. The home needs a little TLC, but its bones are in very good shape. I'll add some pictures of the interior as it is right now.

Fortunately, the previous owners did not make any terrible "renovations", so I'll be able to bring it back to it's former glory. I'll start with removing the carpet, parquet and vinyl tile to expose the concrete slab - will need to get rid of that horrible black mastic, though. Then , I plan to have it polished (no staining) and will just use rugs throughout the house.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:55 pm

Horrible black mastic? Beanedo from Franmar Chemical. A hot tip from Sienna on the Rancho Style message board. Pour some out, spread it around (thin), wait 1 hour, squeegee into a puddle, cover with garage absorbent and mop with degreaser. The concrete ends up looking like new. Except for faint lines of the old tiles. I actually went Joe's way and re-tiled in black VCT. The complete removal allowed me to use a modern masic. Remember, that old tile contains asbestos. Just google "removing asbestos tile" to find out what you're in for.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:10 pm

Egads:

I've read about Beanado before... it seems it works miracles on mastic, even if it is asbestos mastic.

My tiles probably have asbestos, but they virtually pop off when touched (I easily removed one just by lifting the corner. How did you get rid of your vinyl tiles? Did you use any type of hazardous disposal service? How about the mastic, once you removed it? I don't want to get in trouble for disposing of hazardous stuff in the trash.

Do you have any suggestions?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:52 pm

miguel: asbestos removal is heavily regulated in every state. there are specific procedure you need to follow regarding removal and disposal if you do it your self. If you choose to hire someone to do it, they need to be a certified asbestos abatement company. you'll find them in your yellow pages. If you DIY, the state of california and you local hazardous waste authority has information you need. You also may find info from past experiences by searching this board and the Eichler Network board for old thread about tile removal

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:06 am

Thanks for the info, Joe.
I don't know if it has asbestos or not, so I might just leave it be and use a nice travertine-like white stone tile over it... Less of a headache.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 am

nearly every floor tile before '74 has asbestos in it. as well as the mastic. Removing it is the best way to go. Check my explanation to an Eichler owner here:
http://www.eichlernetwork.com/chatterbo ... php?t=1419

don't do what this person did regarding removel.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:03 am

Joe:

I'm not planning to go ahead and scrape the heck out of the mastic like that felllow's contractor did; I know better than that. What I'm saying is that if the Vinyl tiles just pop off, then the mastic underneath can be carefully cleaned (with soapy water and wet all the time) and the stone tile can be applied on top once dry.

As long as I carefully perform the mastic cleaning procedure, I don't see why that would be a problem.

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:25 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:12 pm

As far as I know the mastic, emulsified and in the kitty litter is not hazardous waste. I just put mine in trash bags and placed them in the bin. The tiles however can become "friable" (emit particles into the air) and must be handled and transported in specific ways. To remove the tiles, you should mask off the entire house, yourself, and anyone helping you. (you cannot legally hire anyone but a abatement contractor) The tiles need to be kept wet and double bagged. Then they must be transported to a dump that specifically handles asbestos. I hauled mine to Azusa and it cost me about $130. to dispose of them. There is no way a thin set mastic will go over an old "cut back" adhesive. If you are not going to go all the way to bare concrete, it would be best to use a "floating floor system over everything, tile included. NO pergo or plastic laminate. Real wood only! (it's ok if it's a ply product) I do give folks with dogs a pass on Pergo, but that's the only excuse :wink:

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:23 am

Thanks for the tips, Egads.

I talked to the local hazardous disposal site and already got all the info necessary for disposal of the tiles (very similar to the procedure you mentioned, and a little cheaper for disposal, though).

My other major concern is the mastic... if I could avoid disturbing it, I'd prefer to seal and tile over it. I've read that Ardex can be used over mastic (cutback) residue, but I don't know if it can be applied without first removing the bulk of it with Franmar Beanedo or not. I'll have to call their support center to find out.

When you mention mastic emulsified, you mean after being lifted with the Beanedo and kitty litter, right?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:30 am

miguel, just use some bean-e-doo on it and scrape it up. It's a wet, soy-based gel that works really well. Then us Franmar's degreaser on the slab and you have removed the mastic. You can order from Franmar online. Several Eichler owners and my friends have used it. Works well.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:01 am

Joe, if you don't mind me asking, why did you decide at the last minute of going with a contractor instead of using the bean-e-do yourself? You didn't think it was going to work well?

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:23 am

after 2.5 days of chipping tiles, I only had about 200 sqft up. Sometimes, tiles just pop-up, sometimes they are pretty sticky. Mine weren't coming up too well. The tiles were coming up in small pieces. My wife was worn out with over 1000 sqft to go. So we had to bite the bullet and hire an abatement company to finish the job. Bids came in at $7000+, but found a company who could do it for $2700, which was more than our floor installation. We we able to keep on schedule with the flooring company too.

we plan to live in our home for a while. Having piece of mind knowing the asbestos tiles and mastic are gone is well worth it.

Something for folks who don't plan to live in the house for long, or are flipping properties... don't do a half-ass job when it comes to removing hazardous material. Not properly removed, it can be harmful for future families and pets. Miguel, I am not saying you'll do a half-ass job, but based on the poster on the Eichler Network, I bet this sort of stuff is happening all over by folks looking to make a quick buck by flipping houses and not thinking of the ramifications of their actions.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:36 am

miguel, I also suggest to search this site and the Eichler Network regarding floor removel. what sort of shape is it now?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:05 pm

I undestand what you are saying Joe.

I have no intention of flipping the property, and I'd like for it to be well remodeled. But my limitations are money and time to do the remodel (partly because I'll have to move in soon). I'd hire a contractor if I didn't have to pay for the new flooring and kitchen, but with the remodel cost I have to incur I'll have to do the removal myself.

From what I read, it's more dangerous to disturb the asbestos (assuming it's friable) than to install a new floor on top, so I was just looking at possible ways I could avoid disturbing it. I might end up cleaning it with Beanedoo, but I want to make sure I don't put myself and anybody else at risk by doing it.

I just thought that sealing it would possibly be an option and was was evaluating it.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:08 pm

PS: I didn't remove anything yet, including the nasty carpet that is covering the vinyl tile.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:47 pm

What I'm trying to point out is the tile removal is the dicey part toxic waste wise. The Bean e do takes up ALL the mastic like magic. I mean after mopping with the degreaser to remove the residue you will end up with a concrete surface you could live with without any further floorcoverings. (provided you wanted plain concrete floors) The five gallons of bean e do cost me about $100 with shipping. I used a degreaser from my local janitor supply. I bought one of the old fashion string mops (get extra refills) and a rolling wringer bucket. Warm water rinsing. I dumped the water into the toilet. Do google "asbestos tile removal" Several state agencies have really good guidelines and homeowner instructions. Franmar chemical also has a website that shows pictures of bean e do in action.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:27 am

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:27 pm

Hey, Joe....

Among others, I found this large MCM in Fresno:

It has some similar features to my house, namely the bedroom windows, and it seems like a custom-built home.

Does the architecture ring any bells?

PS: I'll keep adding homes to the album (including the suspected Cliff Mays)... there are some incredible finds here!

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:29 pm

Sorry... can't make the active links work:

http://spaces.msn.com/mrsantosspace/pho ... 02_owner=1

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:42 pm

This is my next door neighbour's "remodel" ...or how to mess up a good thing:

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:40 pm

Another neighbour has this one for sale:

http://tinyurl.com/nzk9a

Needs some love, but it's a 2,256 sqft 4BD/3BA located in a nice peaceful neighbourhood next to Fresno State.[list=][/list]

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:08 pm

nice visuals, miguel! lots of potential. nice original details still intact. It's amazing those globes have survived so long. Cool. you should recruit friends to buy your neighbors house. Could be a nice little enclave of modern homes.

did you find out who designed and or built them?

can't wait to see your restoration progress!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”