Mid-Century Window Treatments

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

WhirlGirl
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mid-Century Window Treatments

Postby WhirlGirl » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:43 pm

I am realizing that MCM homes did not have much use of traditional window coverings such as draperies and blinds. Aesthetically, I understand the reasoning, however, sometimes rooms do need to be darkened. How was this achieved?
I have a run-of-the-mill MC (not modern) home that I am trying to furnish in a modern way. Personally, I don't care for window coverings, but I think I need to put something there--or do I? I have a patio slider and a large front window that has a sort of narrow window seat thingy.
Does anyone have suggestions or pics of what they have done?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:24 pm

where i could get away with no window treatment - we left the windows bare. but, before adding window treatments for our bedroom sliders, i poured over all the architectural books i had - the Shulman book comes to mind as does Lesley Jackson's .

what i saw over and over - in Neutra's Schindlers, etc... and what we did in our house - were lined drapes. this worked well cause we really need blackout drapes with our crazy night schedule.

i went to estate sales and bought them there and had them cleaned as opposed to buying new. the fabrics are all rather plain with some sort of nubby texture.

if you're lucky you can find blockout drapes at estate sales, or you can find the hardcore blackout fabric in the garmet district in downtown l.a. for under $5 a yard.

Paul
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:58 am

Yes, we're in the same situation with a 16' sliding glass door/window combo in the living room of our '61 modern house. The original triple pleated drapes are still there rotting away and we've been trying to figure out what to replace them with.
They are on typical draw string hardware that works great and they open to one side so that when they're open you just see a vertical strip to one side - looks okay. I've seen pictures of the same thing in quite a few vintage pictures - so we decided to stay with it - it's a good look. Thought about blinds, vertical blinds, but they are too 70's, 80's I think.
So we looked at the Home Depot Expo for fabrics - we got an estimate of around $2400 to have them made - forget it!!
We had success at good old Sears and found a neutral green fabric, very simple and nice - and Sears can have them made in the same triple pleat as the originals - we're spending just around $300. I think it's a lot cheaper than if we were to buy a nice fabric by the yard and make them ourselves. Good old Sears.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:32 am

MCM window coverings were/are drapes, like what paul and m-m said.

I have a 16' window wall that I hate to cover, but during the winter nights and during HOT summer days in Oregon, we could use the extra insulation.

Our first choice would be pleated drapes, plain white with no decoration. The the cost factor and an ugly bar running on an exposed beam helped us look at other options.

I am looking at the idea of a tension wire spanning the opening (barge beam to barge beam. I'll then use inexpnsive ring/clips to hold custom drape panels. Only a single, tiny support holder placed in the center of the opening would keep the wire from sagging. No cords, no rods. If not in use for a while, I would simply remove the panels. The wire would basically "disapear", unlike the drape rod.

chb
Modern Socialite

Postby chb » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:53 am

I opted for no window coverings in public rooms but had the windows/sliders treated with UV film to avoid sun damage. For bedrooms, I agree that drapes are the most appropriate option for a period look. However, they were a bit too heavy in appearance for my taste so I used 2-inch blinds in an aluminum tone for floor-to-ceiling windows (without a sliding door). I believe these blinds were also used in the period but probably more commonly in commercial applications such as schools and offices. The blinds are heavy to raise completely so they wouldn't be good for use over a sliding glass door. For bedrooms with floor-to-ceiling glass windows with sliding doors, I used a honeycomb-type window shade because it is lightweight and easy to raise to access the doors. In both cases, when the coverings are fully retracted, it's as if there are no window coverings which was an important point for me.

SkipHome
Modern Master

window treatments

Postby SkipHome » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:00 pm

we agonized over this issue too, for our alexander home in palm springs.
we ended up leaving two of the sliders bare because they are under the patio cover in back, but the living room and master sliders needed to have something to keep sun out.
i had our handy guy clean up all the window sills, edges, etc and put up vertical blinds (i know, i can hear the screaming) over the remainder. we got thin vertical blades in super white. i am really quite happy with them.
but, let me stress, we are not restoring but sensitively rehab-ing.

ValleyModern
Modern Master

gasp... blinds?

Postby ValleyModern » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:09 pm

I used a two (or three?) inch brushed aluminum vertical blind in my last post-and-beam home, and they looked great! They blend right in to the mid-century decor, and really accentuate the lines of floor to ceiling windows. Also, they are very practical as you can regulate the amount of light you let into the room, instead of just either open or shut. They are also much easier on a doorwall than something that you have to pull all the way up, just to open the doorwall a few inches. I'm currently living with old mini-blinds in my new P&K, though, gearing up for the remodel...woops, I mean restoration. OK, so I'm not a purist. It was cool to rip up carpet and find the original speckled composite tile underneath. I won't be duplicating it, though. BTW, Does anyone have info on polishing the slab--ie, who does this in Southern Ca? That's my second choice after a really great terrazzo-like marble aggregate I found, for which I've been waiting 2 months. Anyway, back to the windows...I'm all over Paul's tip about drapes from Sears! That doesn't help me in the kitchen, though, so maybe it's back to Lowes for the aluminum verticals.

Otis

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:02 pm

if you are in las vegas - you can pick up blackout drapes very cheap (20 -35 a panel) at the hotel liquidators store on the corner of desert iinn and highland.
they sell the cast offs from hotels when they remodel. it's hit or miss what you'll find, but most are in very good condition and many have pleasing modernists look to them.

we just bought some ex-new york new york hotel drapes for our guest room! sorry i don't have a closer picture...

robinCO
Modern Socialite

Postby robinCO » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:58 pm

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:32 pm

I had thought about building a top/bottom rack to mount shoji-style screens - something very simple in white with natural frames, across the four large windows in our living room. I took several photos and then mocked up some in photoshop - ultimately we decided against them because the area needed something to soften the rigid angles of the windows (the current knock-out curtains from the previous owner's are still there). We've pretty much decided on something in a curtain, but probably not with the pleats - something simple that obscures rather than blocking out the exterior. No decisions yet (we replaced 12 windows on wednesday and my current project is caulking and repainting the stops).

Hey Joe - I didn't know you were a Specials fan.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:06 pm

If you want authentic mid-century window coverings, you should check out Fan Pleat Draperies. The company has been in business since the early 1950s.

I like their drape design because it stacks back rather compactly, much thinner than pinch pleats. I can definitely use their ceiling mount track, as my windows and sliders go all the way to the ceiling without a header above. I also like the fact that they use "batons" for pulling the drapes open and closed. No unsightly cords.

You can order a sample of the track and drapery, assembled and operating like the real thing. It only costs $5.00 to check out, if you return it within 15 days. I believe they're located in the LA area.

When I first started my project a couple of years ago, I got a quote from them for some draperies. I was pleasantly surprised by what seemed like a very reasonable price, particularly compared with local custom drapery workrooms. I'm sensitive to price because my living/dining room has 72' of 12' tall windows/doors, mostly facing south for winter solar gain, plus another 18' of 8' tall windows. The master suite has 44' of 6' tall windows. It's a lot of fabric.
http://www.homespunfabrics.com/fanpleat.htm

Believe it or not, the frequently maligned vertical blinds are another authentic mid-century window covering. I had always thought they were a 1970s concept, but they date from the very early 1950s, or possibly even the late 1940s.

While researching how to furnish my place, I've accumulated most issues of Interiors and Interior Design magazines from the late 40s through early 60s. While perusing an issue from 1952 or 1953, I was stunned to see an advertisement for Thru-Vu Vertical Blinds - endorsed by none other than George Nelson.

According to a DOCOMOMO article, Henry Wright invented verticals to cover the expansive glass in a group of homes he designed in Rye, NY:
http://www.docomomo-us.org/pdfs/Winter03_NY.pdf

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks for that, MPM. As I grew up with the children of the owners of two of the Rye houses, I am delighted to learn a couple of facts about them that I didn't know. As for the vertical blinds, I was hired by someone -- either Mr Wright or an installation contrator, I was never quite clear which -- while in high school, to help install blinds in a religious institution somewhere in rural Westchester. (Thru-Vu blinds were a feature of the entrance lobby of the Museum of Modern Art in those days -- mid-late fities.)

I would love to see photos of Henry Wright's house (and am pleased to hear that it remains unaltered) -- it was partially clad in corrugated asbestos-cement panels laid horizontally, and had some sort of interior planting feature, as I recall. And I have been telling people for years that Wright designed Stoller's house -- glad to have that cleared up at last. (Stoller told me that their Nakashima dining table had to be fumigated, after bugs were found in the wood !)

Mr Wright's Cord phaeton parked in his carport also appealed to me -- a lot !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:07 pm

Louis I. Kahn's Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, Circa 1966-72 has some great thin aluminum bladed vertical blinds. The blades must be 1 1/2" wide and clear anodized. It is one of the best modern blind applications that I have ever seen. I have never researched to see if these are readily available but it looked great!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:31 pm

Hmm -- I wonder where ValleyModern (above, 2003) found these ?

SDR

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Re: gasp... blinds?

Postby MoneyPitModern » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:35 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:15 pm

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:20 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:35 am

Well, You all know how much I love talking about Nelson (and you started it!). In our house he spec'd vertical blinds to cover floor to ceiling storage shelving in the playroom (see pic). They were ordered from Holland Shade Company of NYC made by Temlite. I also have a Howard Miller single page product catalouge that shows Vertical blinds "designed by George Nelson" (I know, whatever).

Any other window coverings were all curtains...sheers on the main west wall of windows and Erbun? fabric curtains in the dining room

and bedrooms. In the mstr bed, bath and vanity Knoll Super Boucle Fiberglas (in white) was used...the sheered fabric on the sliding doors in the living room were silk.

All but the disapearing curtains in the living room and mstr area are now gone.

Jeff_Texas
Modern Groupie

leave them bare

Postby Jeff_Texas » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:32 am

I grew up in a Eichler and my Mom did not have any window coverings except in the one front bedroom. I have sinced move to Dallas and have a semi MCM and have done the same. The whole back of the house is glass and bare to the pool - why block the view and the light. The bedrooms have 2 inch white blinds that look great. Granted I do have a nice roof overhang.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:47 am

Classic Form:

Off topic, but can can you refresh my memory? Did the round sofa remain with the house when you bought it?

Knoll Super Boucle Fiberglass?..... Emmm... Sounds Yummy!

Can you tell me more bout that one?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:39 am

Not necessarily on topic, either -- but I found what little there is online about the (obviously defunct) Thru-Vu Blind company, apparently of Mamaroneck, NY (not far from Rye, home of inventor Henry N Wright -- see DOCOMOMO article linked above). Allan S Woodle (for whom I helped install Thru-Vu blinds on one occasion) was granted a patent for an improved operating wand for these blinds, in 1979 -- rather late in the game, one would have thought. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4257470.html I wonder if this predates the usual wand operator found on so many blinds today ?

Additionally, there is an article in a Westchester newspaper documenting the 2003 house tour referred to in the DOCOMOMO piece; I can reprint it here if there is any interest. There is a one-line reference to Wright as designer and manufacturer of the blinds, and a description of his house. There is also a book which publishes a couple of Rye houses (including this one, apparently): "The First House: The Grid, the Figure and the Void" by architect Christian Bjone (Academy Editions [UK], June 2002).

ClassicForm -- Great to see that shot of vetical blinds used as interior doors -- the modern version of the portiere ?

Jeff -- welcome -- and thanks for the insight into this subject. As a "modern-house kid" I naturally dispensed with curtains and shades on the windows of my bedroom -- in a 'thirties frame house of no modern lineage whatsoever. Good thing the bedroom was on the second floor. . .!

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:57 pm

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:16 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:17 pm

MRU...the custom sofa was traded by the previous owners for two thin edge night stands to match the chests and desk in the mbr. They needed the night stands because they sold the custom thin edge bed that was designed for the place...

Damn!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:24 pm

Classic Form:

So those are the vintage pictures of the round sofa then?

A custom Nelson sofa for two production night stands does not sound like a very equitable trade.

Have you thought about having the sofa recreated?

mru

PS. did you get my email about the book?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:48 pm

Is the curved sofa drawing from the Nelson office ?

SDR

classic form

Postby classic form » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:42 am

MRU, I just picked up your email, look for mine. The black and whites were taken by Norman Carver jr just after the house was finished in '58, he's the architect that designed the houses I posted in the real estate section I was telling you about. I'll bet he has done over 50 houses here in Kalamazoo and a few scattered in other states...nice stuff.

The Knoll Super Boucle Fiberglass fabric is nothing special, it is some kind of man made material (rayon, nylon, etc...) with an upscale name attached, nothing to drool over.

I talked to the MCM dealer that handled the sofa...he told me they called him to purchase the bed and showed him the sofa after he arrived. He couldn't buy it then because he had no room for it and told them that he wasn't that interested in it!! (this was around '92). They called him back begging him to make an offer and the two night stands are what they came up with. Make me wanna holler, through up both my hands. I've had one quote for reproducing the sofa, it is currently not feasible. Although, if that mega-million, power ball, super lottery falls in my lap...?

SDR, The rendering is from the office. I have been researching a gentleman that worked in the Nelson office that has his name all over everything, Richard Rohrich. I believe that he drew it up. Not sure if he was a designer or if his duties were limited to drawing but most of the prints I have are initialed by him and some of the decorating correspondence is from him. He is not listed anywhere on any of the office letterhead as are many others (raised type along the edges). I have not been able to find anything on him.

SORRY ABOUT HIJACKING ANOTHER ONE...I've got to stop doing this.

(wow, the last part of that line reminded me of an old b movie called "deadly weapons", anyone?)

BACK TO THE TOPIC...originally roller shades were suggested for the dining room by the Nelson office, "mexican cotton using a leather thong with a redwood pull". These were never installed but shows that simple roller shades could be used and still keep authenticity of the period if this is a concern.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:08 pm

He said "Leather Thong," ......... Cool ......... heh heh heh ... heh heh heh (he says while laughing like Beavis and Butthead)

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:09 pm

Maybe SDR should build this one for you!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:59 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”