TRAVELING ACROSS THE US... What not to miss...

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

TRAVELING ACROSS THE US... What not to miss...

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:26 pm

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:25 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:18 pm

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Carlos Araujo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:01 pm

synthetic space
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby synthetic space » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:41 am

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

The Meteor Crater

Postby lasvegaslynn » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:33 pm

If you do the drive of 66 to the meteor crater, keep an eye out for the giant arrows in the ground. A few years ago, the little roadside cafe was still there but closed next to the arrows.

Also, all the signs for the late, lamented Space Age City (featured along with the pie in "Starman". The signs are great.

The giant jackrabbit is another personal fave. I was four when my mom and I made the trek from Battle Creek, MI to Las Vegas. I made her stop at every alligator farm and souvenir shop from Santa Fe to Kingman.

It was great to see some of the souvenir shops still there over 40 years later.
Sadly, no alligator farms.
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:33 pm

I drove across (Boston to LA) a couple of years ago, choosing a route that took in significant architecture and art museums. In addition, two well-thumbed books in the car were:
"New Roadside America" and "Route 66 : The Mother Road." Both have indexes by location so you can check places on route, which is why we spent a couple of hours in the hokey but enjoyable Meremac Caverns "opened in 1935 by Lester Dill as one of the first roadside attractions on Route 66."

As to your likely route make sure you visit the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. In Memphis, the National Civil Rights Museum, in the converted motel where MLK was shot. The St. Louis Arch has a great exhibition hall which has exhibits on how it was built and also the overall "western migration" in the US.

Enjoy.

davidk6
Special Secret Modern Agent
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Postby davidk6 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:45 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

PS Re: TRAVELING ACROSS THE US... What not to miss...

Postby davidk6 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:21 pm

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:26 am

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:55 am

davidk6

...and

Postby davidk6 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:05 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:15 pm

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:46 pm

Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:15 pm

davidk6

PS

Postby davidk6 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:16 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:53 am

actually, the route we are planning - we'd jog up highway 25 to colorado springs and then across kansas on 70 to MO and down the 55 along the Msssissippi-ish (that was fun to type :) ) to Memphis and then continuing on 40 east up to D.C. and then to lancaster and then shoot over to the eastern seaboard up to nyc. no gettysberg this time around...

we were originally planning on doing this in winter so were going around the southern side of the rockies, but now that it'll be during spring or later - probably we'll go north and take the 70 clear across to denver/colorado springs. and so on...

OK City will be on a future route 66 trip.

------

road trips are in my blood. my family took 2 cross country (3 weeks long each) road trips when i was young in the early & mid 1970s. i'm just trying to recapture my youth i gues :)

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:38 am

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:46 am

davidk6

Postby davidk6 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:53 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

First stop in Kansas

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:03 pm

First stop in Kansas should be Lucas, Kansas to see the Grassroots Art Museum the Deeble House and the Garden of Eden. Lucas is just 17 miles off of I-70

www.grassrootsart.com

http://home.comcast.net/~ymirymir/LT_DeebleHouse.htm

http://www.garden-of-eden-lucas-kansas.com/

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:05 pm

Should we schedule you for the KCmodern - Drummond Tour?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:21 pm

IT'S ON!!!!

we got an unbelievable deal on a last minute one way rental car from hertz. we are packing now and leaving tonight.

moderns R us and david we hope to see you along the way - i sent you pm's.

if there are any other Lotta Living members along our route - give me a shout-out PM and maybe we can rendezvous for a java or a quick modern sightseeing tour. i will be checking in every day or so...

here's the rough route (with side trips and detours as time permits):
Las Vegas-Colorado Springs-Kansas City-St. Louis-Memphis-Ashville NC-Mt. Vernon-Washington-Lancaster-Wildwood-NYC

thank you for all the suggestions thus far. i have printed many notes out and they will be helpful. Route 66 trip is another trip another time - this is heartland USA...

America here we come!

sky

Postby sky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:00 pm

See the USA in your Chevrolet … Have a great time, FG.

sean
Modern Master

Postby sean » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:01 pm

Is the coast clear?

sky

Postby sky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:01 pm

When the cat’s away …

sean
Modern Master

Postby sean » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:02 pm

sky

Postby sky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:03 pm

100 REASONS WHY MCM SUCKS.

(Extra points if you can demonstrate your reason with a photo. But really, I’ll just make up the scoring at the end.)

1 Can’t park a Hummer in an MCM garage.

sean
Modern Master

Postby sean » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:03 pm

1 Can't park a Hummer in an MCM garage.
2 Internet speeds in the 50s were less than 50 baud.

sky

Postby sky » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:04 pm

1 Can’t park a Hummer in an MCM garage.
2 Internet speeds in the 50s were less than 50 baud.
3 Moderns-R-us knows more about MCM than me.
4 How can it be modern if it’s so old?

Return to “Roadside Rambling”