JFK Saarinen terminal to be used by Jet Blue Looks Great!

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bluecherub
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

JFK Saarinen terminal to be used by Jet Blue Looks Great!

Postby bluecherub » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:57 pm

The JFK Saarinen terminal will be saved by Jet Blue who have preserved the sleek terminal and tunnels and plan to expand it with the original Modern design in mind. My husband just came back from New York and took the following photos of the architectual mock up and elevation plans. Looks great! *** :D
http://www.wgn.net/~tooch/Photo2.jpg
http://www.wgn.net/~tooch/Photo3.jpg
http://www.wgn.net/~tooch/Photo4.jpg

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 am

More great news. Maybe there is still some aesthetic sanity left.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:20 am

I don't know.... I think the jury is still out on whether this is a good thing for the Saarinen design.

It appears that the design only uses the TWA terminal as an entrance into a new terminal. It also completely isolates the original structure in a network of roads, which wind around the entire Saarinen terminal. If the new road goes to the new terminal anyway, what is the point of the original structure?

Is Saarinen's masterpiece being relegated to being the location of Au Bon Pain and the Gap?

It also appears that they maybe adding on directly to either side of the existing building.

I need more info!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

bluecherub
Modern Master

Postby bluecherub » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:44 am

Well its a high site better than being totally remodeled or demolished! I give Jet Blue high points for caring about its design and keep most of its integrity as a terminal. It could have been worse!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:57 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”