Can You Identify This Danish Modern Furniture?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tikifish
Modern Socialite

Can You Identify This Danish Modern Furniture?

Postby tikifish » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:32 am

Bought in Ontario... the only clue to marking that I can see is a tag with a star hanging off on e of the chairs. These belong to a friend of mine 4 hours north so I cannot check further for marks... unless I call and ask him to examine it I suppose! These are beautiful pieces, and somewhat unusual, especially where the legs join each other, there is a sort of hole or ribbon effect. He is restoring these and will be selleing them eventually if anyone lives in the area of... Combermere Ontario! (not likely eh)

SoMo
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SoMo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:55 am

Me Like!

modmonilu
Modern Fan

Postby modmonilu » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:19 pm

Possibly made in Yugoslavia. I have a set ( 2 chairs and a sofa) that are similar - wood frame, mid-century modern, but with straighter lines, rather than the cool curves, angles, and other details seen in your photos. All are marked 'Made in Yugoslavia' on the bottom parts of the wood frames.

What struck me as far as similarity goes are the supports on the backs of the chairs and sofa you posted. Mine have the exact same 'rubber band' type supports on the seats of the pieces, rather than the backs.

I've looked around on ebay, google, etc, and these band type supports seem to be a common feature in mid-century Yugoslavian-made furniture. Many other pieces made in other countries seem to have either webbed and/or wood slat supports for both back and seating.

Just an observation... I might be way off, but it's a place to start!

Btw... Me likey too, wherever they are from! :) Thanks for sharing the pics!

ETA: I've thought about selling mine as well (although I am tempted to keep them for my living room), but like your friend, I'd prefer local pickup, and I'm not sure how much of a market there is here in Tulsa..

MCMAdmirer
Modern Socialite

Postby MCMAdmirer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:31 pm

Tikifish, I almost croak when I saw the name of Combermere, Ontario on this thread. Never in a million year did I ever think that town being link to the world of MCM!

I do know of Combermere. It recently immensely suffered from two tornadoes. Once reknowned for its thick cluster of tall pine trees, the town just doesn't look the same anymore. It's almost unrecognizable.

Anyways, is this person really a MCN fan or a person who just happens to be restoring these furniture?

tikifish
Modern Socialite

Postby tikifish » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:55 am

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”