hey cliff may owners, where are your washer/dryers?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

hey cliff may owners, where are your washer/dryers?

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:29 pm

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:24 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: hey cliff may owners, where are your washer/dryers?

Postby Stephen » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:01 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:44 am

Ours is in the garage - the kitchen is just too small! Also there is the noise and messy factor. The garage door is actually closer to the MB than the kitchen, so is more convenient, too!

PS Put the hot water heater out there and you can have a nice pantry!
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:02 pm

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:33 pm

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:51 pm

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:57 pm

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:14 pm

lasquirrel
Modern Master

washer and dryer

Postby lasquirrel » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:50 pm

We just moved into our cliff may and have decided to do what our neighbors did... stackable in the closet next to the water heater. We have fairly new appliances and they don't make too much noise! welcome to the neighborhood! Which street?? were on shipway.
Sheryl

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Re: washer and dryer

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:10 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:17 am

my w/d are in my kitchen, along the back wall, under counter. lo-profile, high efficient kenmore. I built a trifold door out of birch plywood to match the original birch cabinet overhead on the wall.

I don't mind the w/d in the kitchen, but I would rather have them closer to the masterbedroom or in the garage (my garage is attached). moving them would be expensive as I am on slab with radiant heat

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:27 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: washer and dryer

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:35 am

Last edited by Joe on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:29 am

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:04 am

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:56 am

thanks for the planning advice everyone. i'm going to sit the mr. down to get a plan/spreadsheet going. lurking on the boards the past few months, we've seen and read so much good stuff, but have also been reminded about how much we have to do. we haven't done anything like this before and are at the same time planning our wedding, so we're going to really have to prioritize projects, since as far as i know, money has not yet started growing on trees.

even though this post started as washer/dryers, they may be become low-pri once we get the plan laid out, but good suggestions nonetheless to keep for the future.

thanks again.

Cliff May Gal
Modern Groupie

Postby Cliff May Gal » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi Mr. & Mrs. Meow,
I know it has been a long time since you posed the washer/dryer question, but I have another interesting location. The previous owners of my Cliff May moved their washer/dryer into the bedroom that's located next to the hall bathroom. They stuck them in the bedroom closet, but had to bump out the closet doors a few inches to accommodate the depth of the appliances.

For many years this location was convenient for me, but that was because we weren't actually using that room for a bedroom then. (We've subsequently remodeled and added on a laundry room.)

My builder told me that if you have a washer/dryer in your bedroom closet, then technically you cannot list that room as a bedroom when selling your house. I haven't verified this, but it sounds reasonable!

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:16 pm

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:03 am

Boy are we in trouble then! The ONLY closet we have is in the small bedroom next to the hall bath - no closets in the center or master bedroom!

But we have some beautiful mid-century wardrobes in the master and use the middle room as an office.

And we don't intend to sell our Cliff May. Ever. I wanna live there until I depart this plane.

I have seen closet washer/dryer setups before - so convenient, too!
Best regards,

Kate at Studio 85

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:24 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:32 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:54 am

Hi Stephen

My husband Steve (jazz-n-cocktails) is out working in the yard, so I thought I'd hijack his answer. :) The range hood is a Napoli Zephyr, and the previous owner installed it, so we have no idea what it cost or where he got it. We like it for the most part, although the lights do shut themselves off after 20 minutes or so if the fan isn't running (a safety feature to keep them from gettting too hot).

As to the electricity for the island, all that was done by the previous owner, as well. We do know that he pretty much took the house down to the studs, though, so my guess is it did require some major work to run the electrical.

Best of luck with your project -- we've enjoyed watching the progress online! :cheers:
Life is good!

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:41 pm

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:49 pm

hi everyone, thanks for all the answers to my original question. however, as we started to prioritize, we decided to push this onto the backburner as we get ready to do bathrooms and flooring instead. reprioritizing - such a common renovation experience!

one of these days we'll even get a real working kitchen, but we'll probably first look to our dear neighbors for some advice on the birch wall: to keep or not to keep...but alas, that's another thread. :)

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:35 pm

We kept 85% of the birch wall. We removed 15% to create an Island cooktop. The Wall helps hide the Cabinets / Frig and Prep Area, while the Island helps with entertaining as people gravitate towards this area (plus I wanted to watch TV from the kitchen).

We also have the original Mistlite Divider and I think if we took down the entire Birch wall the divider would look out of place. Plus the birch is in great condition, especially after I polished it with a bit of Liquid Gold. A few nicks and dents, but we wanted to retain the character.

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 pm

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:41 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”