HELP! Stripping paint off interior/exterior beams

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Fifilynn
Modern Socialite

HELP! Stripping paint off interior/exterior beams

Postby Fifilynn » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:39 pm

I live in a MCM home in Scottsdale, AZ, and I want to strip paint from my interior/exterior beams. There are probably about 5 layers of paint coated over our gorgeous wood beams. Does anyone have recommendations...a tried and true method for removing layers of paint? I've tried a heat gun and a planer with nominal success. Is there any kind of solvent that would work without damaging the wood? Quick and easy is the goal...if it is possible... :oops:

Looking forward to reading your recommendations!
Jennifer Hibbard
Owner of Twins & Co. Realty
www.ScottsdaleModern.com
Avatar photo is my MCM Allied home in Scottsdale, Arizona

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Re: HELP! Stripping paint off interior/exterior beams

Postby tikiyaki » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:09 pm

JXBrown
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby JXBrown » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:43 pm

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:17 pm

tikiyaki

Postby tikiyaki » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:46 am

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:35 am

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:48 pm

Wow! thanks for the info. I think it's going to be awhile before I get it done, though.

Kevin

krissman1
Modern Fan

Postby krissman1 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:01 pm

PeelAway 7 is the man!!! I have gone nuts with that stuff, sooo much better than JAsco or other crazy stuff like that, thanks!!!

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:38 pm

Here you go....hope this helps:

http://totheweb.com/eichler/2006_remodel/beams.html

http://paintshaver.com/paintshaver.html

This is the quote from the 1st link:

" The House | 2006 Interior Remodel Because we had to move out of the house for this remodel, this was a perfect opportunity for me to take on a project that I have wanted to do for several years, ever since I saw the spectacular results achieved by a neighbor of mine, Raymond Paquin. He stripped all the paint off his beams and stained them, and the results were stunning.
Fortunately for me, there is a relatively new tool that makes what was once a horrific job much easier. Called the PaintShaver, it is a type of electric plane that cuts the overall time by at least 80%. These two photos (scroll down the page) show how effective this tool really is. It completely strips the paint down to bare wood in just two passes. I stripped all the interior beams in less than 4 days. After that, there's more sanding and detail work, but that is relatively easy. I will also be stripping the exterior beams to match.
The beams will be stained with a Cabot semi-transparent stain called "Hickory" which is a dark brown, but we've made it significantly darker by adding more black to the mix. The ceiling will be repainted a warm light grey (they were originally stained light grey, but unfortunately a previous owner painted them white).
An unexpected surprise was the discovery of continuous beams running the length of the exterior walls of the new kitchen / dining room area (shown at the rear of the top photo), in the wall separating the new living room from the master bedroom, and in a wall in Rosemary's office at the front of the house (lower photo). These beams were hidden by the old paneling, and I didn't know they were there. We now plan to leave them exposed, stopping the new wall surfaces at their lower edge. You can't have too many natural wood surfaces in an Eichler home.

Image[/img]

krissman1
Modern Fan

Interesting tool--Help with staining and sanding

Postby krissman1 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:01 pm

It looks like it takes some wood off as well, did that happen to you?

Here was my experience with our ceiling, I also need some help on stain advice and sanding tips, we are NOT done, but did finish the removal and it looks great.

Tools used:

Recycled Rags (7 10lb boxes)
30 gallons of denatured alcohol (sounds like a party)
Countless brass paint strippers (both large and small to get into the grooves)
Spray bottles (6) for the denatured
15 gallons on peel away 7
30 packs of extra peel away paper

It took us 9 days with 4 guys to do the job.

Now: we are done stripping and there are some imperfections, we want to stain. Can anyone help me with the sanding and staining process (not physically help but if you are in the LA area...)

What stains are best for this? What color stains were used in the period or any suggestions that work well. We want to darken it up a bit and I guess have a darker color on the beams than the T & G, but...open to ideas and photos please!

Re sanding, please help with a technique.

we are also going to do the outside now.

I have photos of this and will try to post them later
[/img]

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”