Modern glass fireplace doors??

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
influx99
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Modern glass fireplace doors??

Postby influx99 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:47 am

Winter's coming (slowly) to New England and I'm looking into putting some glass doors on the fireplace. It's large a rough-cut stone fireplace in a 1957 MCM style home.

When the damper is opened on the fireplace I'm just concerned about the amount of heat loss from inside the house going right up the chimney. Fireplace doors should help a little, although I still don't expect a lot of efficiency. I'm not expecting to use the fireplace to heat the home, just something to warm up to every now and then.

I don't know where to go to find modern style fireplace doors. A lot of them out there seem to be ye olde fireplace doors, wrought iron with brass trim, etc. The closest thing that I've found to modern (which in the case means simple, I guess) is something called a Heritage Custom Fireplace Glass Door: .

I'll do the install myself.

Are fireplace doors taboo in a MCM home?

Thoughts? Resources?

Thanks!

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:52 am

I don't think they are Taboo, it just depends on what you install. I have seen a few Ranchos with very modern Fireplace screens, but not with Glass.

The Example you posted looks nice and simple. If I was going to put one on my fireplace I would go with that.

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:23 pm

this wouldn't really qualify as a door, but might work too

http://www.trashcansandmore.com/asp/sho ... 4%2DRY1231[/img]

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:55 am

We ordered this one at Lowes for around $250....

Very easy to self-install. There were 2 or three sizes to choose from to accomodate different sized fireplace openings, as well a several styles and finishes. We went with the simplest design in "Sunlite Nickle".

Coincidentally, ours looks a lot like the Heritage door mentioned above, which according to their website runs between $994 - $1129...

They're very similar, except ours has 2 solid glass swing out panels, rather than 4 folding panels. I do like the Heritage vent option that allows you to burn the fire with the glass doors closed. Ours does not have that. But, I suppose you could create some vents somehow (drilling some strategic holes along the bottom?). Despite that, I'm pleased with the look and function we achieved, especially for the price.

mr. and mrs. meow: I also looked at the Blomus 65145 - Bebop Fire Screen, but wondered if having to completely move the screen whenever you needed to add wood or adjust the fire would be a bit of a hassle?

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:02 pm

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:11 pm

I haven't tried a , but they look promising.

Shawn
Modern Fan

Postby Shawn » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:51 am

I'm not sure what is was called or where to look for it, but a number of years ago on Ask This Old House or maybe This Old House this kind of thing was dealt with. They didn't do a door at the fireplace but a pop-up kind of door that went on top of the chimney. It had a chain that dropped down the chimney and it hooked onto a clip to hold it down when you weren't having a fire and was air tight. Then you release it and it pops up when you want to have a fire. I think the issue they were dealling with 2 fireplaces with their flues sharing the same chimney. Smoke would leave one and go down the other back into the house. So this was their solution. It might be worth looking into.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:34 am

http://www.nashvillemodern.com

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

influx99
Modern Fan

Postby influx99 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:10 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback. Once I get the roof to stop leaking, the electrical to stop shorting out, and the 'new' house fully de-potterybarn'ed I will do an install of some sort and will post pics.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”