What is the Best Modern Bar in LA (after Encounter)?

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What is the Best Modern Bar in LA (after Encounter)?

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:20 am

All this drinking talk makes me wonder about LA's best modern bar.

Hands down, it has to be Encounter.

But what about the others?

The Frolic Room is too early; the Broadway Bar is too late.

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:06 am

This is a really good question. There are many themed environments that reek of exotica, most of which of recent birth--Good Luck, Bigfoot, Little Cave--but where are the bars that say "International Modern"? Or "Space Age Jet Set Lounge Meets That Late 60s Rococo Thing"?

The Standard?

I do enjoy spinning vinyl at the Shortstop... http://www.latimemachines.com/new_page_91.htm

Hmm. I'm at a loss. Who's got the skinny?

Should we all pool our resources and start the Bertoia/Eames/Lavergne/Danishesque watering hole?
Last edited by Nathan on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:57 am

the best bar is in vegas
tivoli gardens :P

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:15 pm

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:18 pm

Oh... and the Chalet.

Best.

Lighting.

Ever.

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profil ... halet.html

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:24 pm

Did the Chalet used to be Toppers?

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:47 am

At first blush, I would think the Frolic Room, next to the Pantages, but built in the 1930s, it is too early.

http://baldmtpress.com/hollywood/pictur ... lywood.htm

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:04 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:58 pm

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:10 pm

Nathan- I think you are right about the previous name of the Chalet.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:02 pm

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:17 pm

I believe Windows is still closed down while they yukify the exterior of the SBC building. What they're doing there is the equivalent of putting up Home Depot MDF country cabinet doors on a kitchen that had Mahogany custom cabinets.

K

Senator Jack
Modern Groupie

Postby Senator Jack » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:43 pm

When I was in LA I was taken to the 'Em' or 'M' Bar on Temple St. With its rock walls, low tables, and lounge combo playing in the corner, I felt like I was in a Rock Hudson-Doris Day picture. If I lived in LA, it would definitely be my hangout.

Regards,

Senator Jack

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:48 am

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:55 am

West at Luxe Hotel Sunset Blvd., formerly Holiday Inn

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:14 am

The Luxe was originally the "Bel Air Sands" and opened around 1962. Sleek & mod but remodeled later. Is it back to sleek 'n mod?

Isn't West atop the Hotel Angeleno? The cylindrical former Holiday Inn next door that looms over the 405?
http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/351

Speaking of former Holiday Inn restaurants, Had a lovely meal at Blue Velvet last week and thought it was very very attractive. Really a pretty incredible place.

http://bluevelvetrestaurant.com/
Designed by these folks:
http://www.tagfront.com/home.swf

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Fri May 25, 2007 9:52 pm

Hopefully tonight I'll check it out tonight.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:17 pm

Last edited by ChrisLAXEncounter on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:55 am

Ohhhh boy:

uly 20, 2007—To most people, the photo above represents somewhere to store some extra cash (or possibly a good opportunity for a stick-up). To a growing number of players in the L.A. nightlife scene, however, it’s the perfect spot for a new club—no fewer than three venues are scheduled to open in former banks over the next six months. First up is Bank Heist, which launches in early August in a North Hollywood building by John Parkinson, the architect known for landmarks like Los Angeles Memorial Stadium and City Hall. Owner Jason Feld has retained the original mahogany walls and terrazzo floors. “It’ll have a 1920s gangster theme, but nothing over the top,â€￾ he claims. (On the menu: mojito snow cones.)

In downtown L.A., meanwhile, another Parkinson bank (above; one assumes they’ll do something about the lighting) is currently being converted into the Crocker Club, where come fall guests will have to provide a password to enter the whisky bar and check out the marble teller counters and the VIP lounge in the main vault...

http://www.men.style.com/news/going_out ... d=rss_msnf

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:07 am

That is a good recommendation, Nichols.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:43 am

It predates the era, but I love the Formosa. Everytime I visit my sister, I drag anyone I can up there. Always have a great time, especially if she is driving. :cheers:

Paliau
Modern Fan

Mid-century bar

Postby Paliau » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:02 am

I'd say the Blue Room is a candidate - (1947) - 916 S. San Fernando Road Burbank, CA 91521 323-849-2779

Given the very unique double curved bar (although I don't know when it was built) TC's Cocktail Lounge, 694 W 9th St, San Pedro, CA 90731 (310) 514-1691 - this is a very wonderful hidden gem - great interior (don't know what it's like at night however).

The Prince, 3198 W. 7th St., Los Angeles (213) 389-1586, while it has an older vibe was remodeled by Armet & Davis in 1961. The horse shoe sort of shaped bar was probably viewed as quite modern back then. This place is endangered, so get over there while you can. A rather unique cross-cultural experience to boot.
Check out my website on LA bars & restaurants of the 40s 50s & 60s latimemachines.com

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”