The Alcoa Carefree homes by Charles Goodman

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Alcoa Carefree homes by Charles Goodman

Postby AlcoaMCM » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:06 am

Greetings! We just bought one of Goodman's Alcoa "Carefree" homes and are absolutely thrilled. Not thrillede with the weird smells, or needing to drop $650 on a new water heater week 1...but it will be a great house, no question.

I'm trying to learn from a previous home experience and wait a bit before diving into projects on this one. We need to live in it first; mostly because it is sooooo different from any home we've lived in, but also because I read the "what I regret" thread! :D

I want to learn more about the house before touching anything major. I've read about Hollin Hills, about the Goodmans' gift to the Library of Congress, and I have a copy of the October 1957 Better Homes & Gardens that features the Alcoa homes. But I'm having a hard time figuring out where the other 22 (23?) Alcoa homes are.

Does anyone know anything more about the Alcoa project homes? Any history? I saw the link to the Toledo house, but I believe there are supposed to be about 20-some more out there (if they haven't been torn down).

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite

Postby AlcoaMCM » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:36 am

I thought it might help to see a few photos. These were taken by the listing agent last fall. Sadly, this isn't my furniture.

Awesome courtyard. No plans to glass in the open skylight.
Yes, those are the original aluminum cabinets, but not the original color. A previous owner had the teal sprayed over the original beige/brown.
Love those original built-ins!
Walls of glass everywhere. And those light fixtures are most excellent.
The front door is ridged lime-green aluminum.
View of the front.
View of the patio. Deck is coming out this summer, and the concrete patio with square planting beds will be restored. (Best-case scenario, anyway!)

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:34 am

That house is fantastic!

I have read that one of these was located in San Diego somewhere around La Mesa but have yet to locate it; it may have been demolished at some point.

Garrett Eckbo was involved with the landscape designs for many of these (for sure the one in San Diego) his original plans included aluminum trellis and privacy screens.

Very cool houses congratulations

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:05 am

cosmiccreations
Modern Groupie

Congrats!

Postby cosmiccreations » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:26 am

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite

Postby AlcoaMCM » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:08 am

Hi, Cosmiccreations. I understand your concerns--we had several concerns about this house too. Like the Perrysburg one, ours is on a busy street. But the lot is large, giving us some privacy.

So far the heating hasn't been too bad. We've learned to push the thormostat up a few degrees because the temperature at the inner wall where the thermostat is and the temperature near those fabulous windows is about 5 degrees different. :?

The house has a 2-car carport with a 12' x 24' locked storage behind. It has a basement; 900 sq. feet are finished. The basement is laid out much like the upstairs, with three utility rooms (workshop/utility/laundry), a large rec room the same shape as the living/kitchen/dining space, and a full bath.

The stairs to the basement are in the middle of the house, behind the kitchen. I'll look for more pictures.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:17 pm

Congratulations on your house! I have lived in GR most of my life and have been admiring that house for some time. When it came on the market I posted about it here... http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... ht=goodman

I'm so happy someone that loves it is moving into it, I would have cried if it fell into the wrong hands. Welcome to the board.

Sorry I can't help with any of the other homes now but I'll take a look through some mags tonight to see if I can find anything.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Seems I recall

Postby modfan » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:22 am

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite

Postby AlcoaMCM » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:43 pm

As requested, here are a few more pics.

I've been meaning to thank you, Classic, for that original post. We saw it last December (I admit to being a long-time lurker) and thought it was very cool that the house we were considering buying was being discussed in a national forum.

I have heard of two other possible Alcoa house locations: Flint (MI) and Southfield (MI).

View of the back. Very purple.
This view of the kitchen shows the stairwell to the basement (white slanted ceiling).
View from the living room looking through dining into family room.
View from the living room back toward the front door.
View from the front door into the living room. This is the first view visitors see.

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:18 pm

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:04 am

I think I actually drooled looking at those pictures - that is one fabulous house.
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:31 am

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

beautiful

Postby jenkinshouse » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:51 pm

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite

Postby AlcoaMCM » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:58 am

Thanks, everyone! It is so great to have this forum.

After we get unpacked and a bit more settled I'll share the article from BH&G from 1957. It has some great art and photos showing the Alcoa house in its original glory.

And regarding all that wood...the deep brown, vertical wood by the front and back entrances is original teak (!!!) and the ceilings are all cypress.

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby L.A.kevin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:43 am

wow. Wow. WOW!

Your place is fantastic. I have a book from Alcoa that talks about these houses. You can find it on Ebay once in awhile. I found it by searching 'eames aluminum'.

I was actually looking for an Eames Aluminum Group chair.

Anyway- I love your place. You are so very lucky.

K

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:07 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:08 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:10 am

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

alcoa house in st. louis park minnesota

Postby happy modernists in MN » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:45 am

Hey there, just wanted to add that there is one of these houses a block away from our house, I'll try to take some pictures soon and post them, it seems that they have some clue about what they have because they have one of those egg bird houses hanging outside, and also you can see a cool scupture hanging in their breezeway...
kristin in MN (no longer in TN!!!!!)
I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

Postby jenkinshouse » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:45 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

dalangdon
Modern Socialite

Postby dalangdon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:58 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”