Question about grasscloth wall covering

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Question about grasscloth wall covering

Postby Sienna » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:01 am

I am thinking about covering one of my master bedroom walls with this stuff. The wall that I am thinking of for this project is slightly uneven.

My question is, will the grasscloth hide the "unevenness", or will it enhance it o that it is more noticeable? The color of the grasscloth will be slightly on the light amber color side, not the light brown color. It will be medium coarse, not too coarse or not too fine.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:15 pm

No particular experience with grasscloth but I think there are two key variables to consider.

1. What is the nature of the uneveness? If it's small depressions then I suspect the grasscloth can be hung in a way that it stretched across them. If it's more bumpy then that relates to the next variable.
2 How does any light source fall onto the wall? I think we have all seen how when certain lights are turned on, or when curtains or shades are opened, we see walls and ceilings quite differently. Sometimes we notices blemishes that we have not noticed at other times.

Having considered these, I would suggest two things to try.

Firstly, use some masking tape to tape up a grasscloth sample in the areas of most concern. Secondly, talk to your wallpaper store, or guy, about whether lining paper might help.

If you are not familiar with it, try a web search on "Lining Paper" and don't be surprised to see a lot of UK references, as it's often used in older homes.[/url]

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:41 pm

Define uneven. General overall texture like my house in your neighborhood would be fine. Bad patches or seams would need to be fixed. As crazy as it sounds, your wall should be evenly primed and/or painted in an enamel just to make removal easy someday. And don't forget to plan out how the panels will fall in terms of spacing across the wall. Like a floor, full pieces in the center and cuts on the sides. It's supposed to look like panels. The seams do not disappear. I think it's a great look for the panelized nature of our houses. They are also about as Japanese as they are rancheros.

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:06 pm

If we ever get around to the Master Bedroom, Grasscloth will be going back up as original pic shows. I really can't wait, I love the stuff.

Search out pics of Josquins house for a real treat.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Grass Wall Paper

Postby Josquin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:50 am

Here it is again. This is the wall that separates the kitchen from the entry hallway.
Here is a view with the new flooring without baseboards and before the thermostat for the radiant floor had been installed.
We will be replacing our grass cloth after fixing the windows in the living area. The grass wall paper is discolored where the previous artwork hung.

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite

Postby AlcoaMCM » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:07 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:49 pm

Sorry, it looks like I led this a little off topic. I don't think you will have any problems with telegraphing, this paper is thick! Ours was put up over Tongue and groove redwood and although I never saw it when it was up I doubt that it was a problem. If you haven't brought any samples home yet you will be suprised. The other thing to consider is that it is a very textured surface and even if there was a bit of the substrate telegraphing I don't think you would see it without looking very carefully for it.

Dirt Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Dirt Diva » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:06 pm

Does anyone have any experience with putting grasscloth up over existing wallpaper? I have always loved the look, but the room I'd like to put it up in is huge and the walls are two stories high in some places....
Thanks!
Lost as always, but if you find me you'll win a prize!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:57 pm

I don't see any reason why not. The only thing they always say is that the existing paper must be sound. The other thing to check is how long the rolls come.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:48 pm

PNWgal
Modern Socialite

Postby PNWgal » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:22 am

Ooooh! I love grasscloth! We tried to put some up a couple of years ago. We used too much paste though, so it came out all wavy. We ripped it down and painted instead. If we were to tackle it again, I'd use less paste and make sure to smooth out the bubbles in a straight line. If you do that, it isn't too hard.

Josquin

Applying Wallpaper over existing Wallpaper

Postby Josquin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:46 pm

When applying Wallpaper over existing Wallpaper take a wet rag and hold the rag, with pressure, against the existing wallpaper for ten to twenty minutes. If the exsiting wallpaper begins to bubble, you will need to remove it. You will not be able to apply another layer over the existing wall paper without problems.

Like Classic Form said, the grass wallpaper is on heavy stock, so it can cover a multitude of small evils.

Here is a close up picture of our wall. If you look closely, you can see the seams. This is after the thermostat and baseboards have been installed.

Dirt Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Dirt Diva » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:07 pm

The reason I asked about applying it over existing wallpaper was because the previous owners applied the wallpaper directly onto the sheetrock when they added the room to the house! I was quoted thousands to remove and plaster and prime the walls just so I could paint! And the wallpaper is pink and blue flowers with borders and various patterns on different surfaces and one ceiling!!!!! Its a living hell in there! But I will try your suggestion Josquin, thanks. Someone pray for me... :wink:
Lost as always, but if you find me you'll win a prize!

Josquin

Wallpaper

Postby Josquin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:39 pm

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:33 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”