Asking for advice on roofing for my 50's modern Home

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Modluv
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Asking for advice on roofing for my 50's modern Home

Postby Modluv » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:45 am

We have just moved into our 50's pink stucco and glass brick home in CT. We are in need of a new roof. I was wondering if anyone had advice or input as to what kind of roof to get. so far we have come up with a simple Architectural (asphalt) shingle in Charcoal. We plan to keep the house pink. The house sits down from the road so much of the roof is seen. Since this is a large investment and fairly important to the integrity of the house, we don't want to do the wrong thing. The roof is 60 square with the lowest pitch being a 4 and the highest a 10. I would appreciate anyone with knowledge and experience with modern home roofs helping us out with this. Thanks in advance. Karen (& Clay). Here is a photo from the roadImage

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:00 pm

Congratulations on your new home!

I don't have much advice and I know the knowledgeable folks will post, but I have seen both metal roofs and tar & gravel roofs that look good. I don't think T&G is for your part of the country though (weather conditions)

Esthetically, charcoal shingle could look very good - are you keeping the house color?

I love your concrete block wall - beautiful!
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

Modluv
Modern Fan

Postby Modluv » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:57 pm

domus48
Modern Socialite

Postby domus48 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:24 pm

Contact at least three licensed, bonded roofing companies (with at least one being national). I didn't note that you posted what part of the country you live but that will factor into your decision process.

You will need to educate yourself a bit with respect to your options and roof types. I would stronly recommend picking up a copy of Renovation 3rd ed. by Michael Litchfield -- this book will serve you well with all renovation tasks you take on (or at least need to know about so that you may conduct an educated conversation with a contractor).

Roof flashing is key, as well as a sound gutter system.

Be prepared for hidden costs associated with potential substrate issues -- oh, they're there, you just don't know about them yet.

Believe me, this is one of the most significant parts of a home, so being fully informed as well as seeking recommendations from local individuals you have faith in is paramount to a successful investigation.

Rest assured, there are plentyof folk on this forum who will help to guide you in this process.

jkc
Modern Fan

Postby jkc » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:06 am

Modluv
Modern Fan

Postby Modluv » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:06 pm

jkc
Modern Fan

Postby jkc » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:37 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”