My first MCM--What style is this?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rockabilly
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My first MCM--What style is this?

Postby rockabilly » Tue May 01, 2007 12:20 pm

hi everyone. like so many others, I've been reading posts here for several months while trying to buy my first MCM. This is my first post, and my question is about the home I've purchased. It was built in 1955, has flat roof and is rather long and narrow in a T shape split level. The living room has floor to ceiling windows on 3 sides (well they are about 6 inches short of being full length). I've included a link to a picture of it.

My first question is: what category of architectual style this home falls into? (praire style, international, bauhaus, etc... I just don't know enough to be able to pin it in one or other)

Last edited by rockabilly on Wed May 02, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geek with Style

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 01, 2007 1:05 pm

Mid Century Modern - all the way...

welcome aboard!!!

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Tue May 01, 2007 2:05 pm

Beautiful, rockabilly! Congratulations.

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Tue May 01, 2007 3:41 pm

Awesome looking house! Post more pics!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue May 01, 2007 4:34 pm

Great looking pad. Lets see some pics of the inside :D

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue May 01, 2007 4:42 pm

Not sure I could help you pin down the style, but that's a great looking place! :cheers2:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 01, 2007 8:10 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

comodern
Modern Fan

Postby comodern » Wed May 02, 2007 6:59 am

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Wed May 02, 2007 1:30 pm

Geek with Style

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Wed May 02, 2007 1:33 pm

Geek with Style

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Postby 5280mod » Wed May 02, 2007 2:53 pm

Ah, you're the one who snapped this up before I could get any of my clients in to see it! :wink:

Congratulations! I previewed this as soon as it went on the market and the seller was there as I looked through it. Apparently the couple who "built" the home never actually got to live in it. It definitely has potential... the seller proudly showed me the "updated kitchen" with its raised panel traditional cabinets... (sigh)

I live very close to this neighborhood. As you drive around you'll see some other gems.

Welcome to Colorado!
Shannon Stanbro
720.279.4884 Cell
877.713.1110 Toll Free
www.5280mod.com

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Wed May 02, 2007 6:07 pm

Last edited by rockabilly on Thu May 03, 2007 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geek with Style

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Wed May 02, 2007 6:10 pm

Geek with Style

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Thu May 03, 2007 2:06 pm

Measure from known outside points to known inside points.
New York - Leeds- Los Angeles - San Francisco - Toronto
Wherever Google Earth takes me.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun May 06, 2007 9:01 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 06, 2007 9:29 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun May 06, 2007 10:28 am

hmmm. yes, that makes sense. does balance the brick side. and the closets are most likely original. have never looked into the history of glass block. had one as a kid on my bookshelf. loved it. maybe over used in the 80's for interiors. so i lost interest. good industrial application in my old loft neighborhood. street level walls of it, 10% smashed, filled with cardboard and used coffee cups, and clay like substance to fill the bullet holes. anyone still living there, two part plumbers putty worked great on the bullet holes in my industrial metal windows...

the glass blocks on rockabilly's new house are wonderful. a classic detail.
this style home has always been a passion of mine. i pass one every day near work that i couldn't afford. 1.5mil!! new york real estate is out of control....

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Sun May 06, 2007 12:04 pm

when I first saw the glass bricks and discovered they were covered over on the inside, I had the desire to uncover them out so that they could be lit up at night... not sure why I have that strange impulse to light the house that way... but I like the idea of nook type shelves in the walls. I'm not sure what to do about the bottom glass brick as I'm certain its buried behind a built in bookcase in the home office (or possibly behind the wall divider in the office & closet area. I'll do more exploration after I move in on June 3rd. :D

speaking of exterior lighting, I'm guessing can lights in the overhang roof would be best in colorado given the snow, but seem like they would be a pain to install. lights at ground level would most likely be buried by snow. has anyone figured out a good way to do lighting in this situation without digging into the roof? (looks like I'll be putting a new roof cover on, but don't know if it will involve exposing enough for can lights or not).
Geek with Style

jonu
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Glass Block and Brick

Postby jonu » Sun May 06, 2007 6:34 pm

The glass block and brick reminded me of the way Harris Armstrong used the two materials together in his 1954 Vollmer Residence (near St. Louis, MO).

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 06, 2007 7:29 pm

. . .or Whitney Smith's Case Study #5 "Loggia House"
(pub Arts & Architecture, Sept 1945)

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Re: Glass Block and Brick

Postby rockabilly » Sun May 06, 2007 8:00 pm

Geek with Style

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 06, 2007 8:23 pm

Here's architect Andrew Raimist's blog with photos of that Harris Armstrong house:

http://remiss63.blogspot.com/2007/02/ar ... -sale.html

(The "missing" window turns out to be a kitchen exhaust fan !)

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon May 07, 2007 9:32 am

You should see it in person!

Here is a current picture with the new paint scheme.

This house is own the same street:

Here is where they are located if you ever come to STL:

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 pm

thanks for the additional photos! I think I like the darker trim colors with the red brick. as I spent time looking through frank lloyd wright homes, I noticed the majority of the time, red brick homes seemed to have dark trim colors. I'm curious if perhaps my home might have had the white trim color added sometime later.
Geek with Style

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Glass Blocks in Closets

Postby 5280mod » Mon May 07, 2007 7:41 pm

I have seen glass blocks used in closet walls in 50's era homes (traditional and mod) and always assumed it was just a clever way to bring light into an otherwise small dark space.

Considering all the clerestory windows I see "walled" over, it wouldn't surprise me if someone did the same with your glass blocks.
Shannon Stanbro

720.279.4884 Cell

877.713.1110 Toll Free

www.5280mod.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon May 07, 2007 8:04 pm

Anybody notice the sizable additions to the Vollmer house, at each end ?

Gone is the delightful pierced corner facing the camera in the earlier photo. . .

Wright never painted wood white -- or any other color, apparently -- and many other architects have favored stained or natural-colored wood. But the tradition of brick and white paint is long and honorable, too -- up to and including the modern period.

SDR

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Tue May 08, 2007 9:32 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”