later century(70's) chalet/ modern with elements of mcm?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scarygroover
Modern Fan

later century(70's) chalet/ modern with elements of mcm?

Postby scarygroover » Tue May 08, 2007 8:27 am

hello,

first time posting. I have been attracted to MCM style for a few years now and wanted our next house to be in the MCM style. When my wife and I started looking for houses in the oakland/montclair area of california, i noticed that my favorite homes with cathedral cielings were all built a little after the MCM period(usually from 1972-1978), had a slight chalet/tahoe ski lodge feel to them and were usually built on a slope of land with a deck off the back side.

So when we decided to leave the bay area for Grass Valley, we ended up buying a house/property in this style. It needs some updating and has some bad 70's (not good 70's) decor, but i actually like the way the architecture is not as replicated as say a tract of eichlers (never thought i 'd say that until I saw a row of them). almost like a custom version.

Has anyone else out there fallen in love with the chalet style of modern like we have?

[/url]

Luka
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Luka » Tue May 08, 2007 9:29 am

There are a couple of office buildings in this style in the Burbank area including the Warner Bros. Records building designed by A. Quincy Jones.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 08, 2007 11:18 am

i think your home is lovely.
actually, to me, it looks more like pure mcm with hints of chalet!

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue May 08, 2007 11:47 am

Your house looks almost exactly like my wife's family cabin in Tahoe. Based on the photos, I would have to agree with Futura Girl--it definitely looks much more MCM than chalet. Scrape away some of the bad 70's decor and you'll have quite a dazzlingly retero house on your hands.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Tue May 08, 2007 1:24 pm

thanks folks. we haven't moved in yet. but there's lot's to scrape away.

1. I kind of like the faux wood paneling but my wife won't have it. I do agree it woud be lighter with some color on the walls.

2. we'd like wood floors throughout instead of the bad linoleum and carpet.

3. I'd like to reconfigure the kitchen and put new stuff in it.
the faux wall has to go.

4. the decking has to be rebuilt completely and some trees have to go with it to let some light into the house and eliminate safety issues.

5. don't get me started on the country frilly curtain rod cover.

Best,
scarygroover

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Tue May 08, 2007 1:56 pm

Your house has a lot of really neat things about it. With some vision, which it sounds like you have, it could really be something.

I actually kind of dig the pony wall kitchen enclosure. Kind of modern (mcm)... :) Not sure about the glassed in part being original, but the way the kitchen is defined seems to be destinctive. Then again...sometimes I like weird stuff... :D

Best of luck with your new place! It's cool...

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Tue May 08, 2007 2:30 pm

hey robbhouston, thanks for the comments.

I thought the pony wall is distinctive as well but doesn't really have a purpose other then to make the kitchen seem closed off.

the glass cabinet must go.

I think we'll get a much mor clear picture of what to get rid of and what to hold on to when all the seller's "stuff" is out of there.

-scarygroover

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Tue May 08, 2007 2:40 pm

one thing i wanted to ask. can a house still be considered mcm style even if it was built later? in this case 1978-1980?

Perks

Postby Perks » Tue May 08, 2007 3:09 pm

"MCM," in my opinion, reflects a style and set of architectural principles rather than a time period. I wouldn't consider most of them to be truly MCM homes, but I have seen quite a few homes built up through the late 70's that carry a lot of the interior MCM styling cues (though of course many of those cues tend to be rather diluted).

I'm sure the folks at would have something to say about MCM being confined to a single era as well. :wink:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Wed May 09, 2007 10:27 am

I was really pleased to see some of the posts here. like you, I just recently purchased a MCM home. there are lots of small things in it that bother me like the home depot improved kitchen. I'm beginning to recognize that a lot of folks have been, or currently are, in the same situation as I am. I'm hoping to get feedback from those who have traveled the restoration and mod-improvement route to guide me in making wise decisions on what to keep and what to remove. good luck on your new place and keep keep us posted on your various projects.
Geek with Style

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 10, 2007 7:16 am

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Thu May 10, 2007 7:21 am

afigure
Modern Socialite

I always thought my house was chalet like

Postby afigure » Sat May 12, 2007 9:13 am

Like yours mine has the exposed wood vaulted ceilings. Lots of wood, stone and brick. Here's a shot of the side of the house. Not sure what the style of the house is, it was built in 59 but reminds me of a chalet too.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat May 12, 2007 9:41 am

http://www.a1vacations.com/USA/New-York ... 121789.htm
can't get this image of 'chalet' out of my head.
i know their are many styles of chalet, but the heavy pitch of the roof,
lightening snow loads, comes to mind.
and.. :oops: i thought they were the coolest as a kid.

would love to see more pics. i don't think a few modifications by previous owners would kick it off the mcm list. love the extreme overhang. more pics!

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Mon May 14, 2007 1:14 pm

I too like it. Get rid of the pooy curtains, the glass wall in the kitchen, and some of the rustic elements, and you have something.
New York - Leeds- Los Angeles - San Francisco - Toronto
Wherever Google Earth takes me.

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:44 pm

we finally got a through the first 11 months of remodelling. here are some before and after photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8183388@N02/sets/

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:38 pm

Looking good! Vast improvement from the before pics.

scarygroover
Modern Fan

Postby scarygroover » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:50 pm

thanks jesgord! Now if I can find what color to paint the outside!

Best,
scarygroover

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”