Let's talk tubs...

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
afigure
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Let's talk tubs...

Postby afigure » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:28 pm

My home has it's original tub. It's square shaped with the built in corner. Nice that's it's original, not nice to bathe in (very uncomfortable with the built in corner). Has anyone here replaced theirs, with something...well, square shaped, that worked for them? Pushing out the wall to make room for a standard sized tub is not an option as the toilet is on the other side.

I also wonder if I can 'tint' the new tub the same color as it is now, to 'match' the sink and the toilet. Is that possible?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:33 pm

how long have you lived with this tub?

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:46 am

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

afigure
Modern Socialite

Postby afigure » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:19 am

I have lived this with tub for 1.5 years. Unfortunately for me this is our only tub and I am a bath person. I have the original plans I may check out the tub dimensions and see what else there is available with these dimensions. I know I would only be gaining a corner but I'll take it :)

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:25 am

FYI-There are tub re-glazers/enamelers who can change the color of a white tub to the color of your choice. Here in NY, I had a company match an old crane sink to my original yellow toilet and tub

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

ofuro

Postby Josquin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:52 am

Consider a ofuro, Japanese soaking tub, for the bath. These are deep small tubs that would probably fit in this space. They are made of a number of different materials. Here's a link to a modern concrete ofuro: http://livemodern.com/Members/splatgirl/blog/ofuro

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:42 pm

afigure
Modern Socialite

Postby afigure » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:56 pm

Futura- You are absolutely right. I was starting to feel a bit guilty about even thinking about replacing it when there is absolutely nothing wrong or broken about it. I think I'm quite lucky to have all the original 'matching' fixtures. After all, the little ones still fit in this tub, they think it's massive!

Hopefully, down the road. I'll be able to build a new bathroom (will have to go in the basement though), complete with my luxury soaking tub to stretch out in.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:59 pm

i was mainly concerned about your tile. we had to replace the tub in our very first house and tried to salvage the tile - it was next to impossible. and i'd hate to see you lose that lovely original pattern.

a luxury basement bath would be super swell.

in the meantime - i was serious about treating yourself to a 5 star hotel soak for the money/time you just saved!

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:10 am

I think Kohler used to make a square tub, but it's been discontinued.

Your tub seems perfect for bathing kids. I also like the shelf--it looks like a good place to prop your feet when shaving!

Are you sure you can't live w/o a big tub? I just ask b/c in our last house, we had a huge whirlpool tub. During the five years we lived in that house, no one ever used it. It always seemed like such a waste of water. In our current house, we have a standard sized tub w/ jets in the guest bathroom. We've lived in the house for over a year and again, have never used the tub. It seems like a lot of people put in big jetted tubs and then end up using them maybe once a year. Of course, I also know someone who never takes showers--only baths. So, I guess it's all personal.

afigure
Modern Socialite

Postby afigure » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:54 am

Yah, I know I would use it a lot. I am one of the bath people! But I will continue to live with it and maybe use the money to do one of the many other projects I've got my mind on. I want to install flooring throughout the house, refinish the basement, garage, so many things.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:13 am

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:16 pm

You indicate the tub's maker is unknown. The spout and knobs look like Crane, so there's a good chance the tub is Crane as well. If so, you're in luck -- they're the best fixtures ever made. Check inside the toilet tank for marks. (Be very careful handling the tank lid.) Knowing the manufactuer, model and color name for your fixtures is essential when doing repairs or hunting for replacement parts.

Futura is correct regarding resprayed tubs. Don't do it. They stain, can't be properly cleaned and chip/crack like crazy.

Staar
Modern Master

Postby Staar » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:58 am

so i'm about to hijack this thread...

i haven't posted in forever, but i have a house built in 1939 that i'm restoring. with the 1939 house came the 1939 tub. it's nothing fancy but it's original (i think). the fixtures have been replaced (as have unfortunately ALL of the fixtures on EVERYTHING in this house).

anyway, the tub was re-glazed by the previous owners. apparently, they didn't wait long enough for the glaze to try because there are streaks in the glaze and also rings where the shampoo bottles sat. as well as 2 sea-horse stickies that were on the bottom of the tub that are now under the glaze.

so the tub is forever nasty and grimey no matter what. i've tried pummice stones and tilex and scouring pads with baking soda - nothing. anyone else deal with this kind of disaster?

afigure
Modern Socialite

Postby afigure » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:47 am

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:01 pm

Our new house, new to us at least, had a 5 foot tub original to the house that was equally nasty and original be damned, I ripped it out and replaced it with a very nice, fairly plain, Kohler that you can soak in. It just had to be done as I'm a bath person and well, life is too short to live with a crappy tub. The one caveat I will give about replacing a tub, you are at least looking at replacing your floor and tub surround if not your vanity depending on the layout and size of your tub. On the flipside, it's the best money I've spent on the house so far.

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:33 pm

If your gonna rip it out it might be nice to stay true to the original footprint...

For a plastic fetish one might consider:

Check out this video Right of screen:
http://www.duravit.com/products/series/ ... y5hbd.html

Or rectangle to angle:
http://www.duravit.com/products/series/ ... q3rsm.html

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”