It's dark in here!!! Suggestions for interior lighting?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:11 pm

SDR. (i was up in the hills on dial-up for a few days, ouch)
'ground row' is an old theatre term. way before we were around. the
baffle of the ground row hides the glare of the lights from the audience.
and, hence, lights the actors. seem to be applied to many applications
in NYC. tradition. and we still use blue-line. tradition? but beautiful. pencil
and velum. the acrid piss smell...yeah, yeah, computers and cad. really
is the future, but...
so 'ground row' can be above door height. just as FLW could use a bridge
describing his transition from lower areas to higher, or a 'deck'.
and in some places, a bridge is something that connects the front door to
the ground. if you pause on it, to view the sky or change you shoes, it
is a deck. oh, the beauty of language...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:16 pm

Ahh. . . ha. Yes. It is.

Well, lights from above, and glowing from below, too (footlights) are part of the mix.
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Asher House Lights

Postby Josquin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Walker's Asher house lights are two incandescent bulbs behind a translucent glass panel. See more details here: http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7700

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:28 pm

We have the similar T and G ceilings, as I did in my last home as well. I had inherited track lighting there and not only was it ugly, but it didn't do a great job. There were still dark spots and also parts of the room with ugly glare. Don't go for anything like that.

It is very period to have little areas of lighting with different moods for different activities. I prefer incandescent lighting strongly, while my hubby is OK with Compact Flourescents. More lights = more choices.

Have you seen the great vintage pull down lamps with the reflective body that cast light down for reading or dining? We did this for $24 from a local antique shop.

We also had great luck hanging a trio of pendant lamps. Try looking at the white pleated knockoffs at Eurway out of TX. Again, a great look for about $100.

We'll try and post some pix so you can see what we mean.

Just look at a few old decorating books or magazines and you will be sure to find a chapter or two on lighting practices of the era. Period Sunset Magazine and Better Homes and Gardens are authentic and not too Hollywood-y. Go vintage and you will never be sorry.[/img]
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

rogue
Modern Fan

Postby rogue » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:51 pm

I have a very similar lighting problem. No attic space, and I'm not willing to let some hack electrician rip up the wood.

As you can see in the following photo, the previous owners installed 70s tracklighting to help with the situation, but it is my only lighting in this room.
I have researched LED lighting/undercabinet lighting for the channel that frames the windows of the entire home. My plan is to light up the ceiling itself to provide more ambient soft light on a dimmer, and then use table lamps and a floor lamp to supplement. Currently, the track lights blind my guests and make the room feel like an interrogation chamber. My roof is stained a blonde light color, while the beams themself are dark brown, so I think I will have luck with this solution.

Incandescent is the way to go, LED and Florescents remind me of an office too much. My kitchen has Florescents and it works rather well. I'd like to see a similar effect throughout the entire home:
Relax about the stools, they're temporary :oops:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:14 pm

I like the indirect lighting. Bender likes the stools. Something for everybody !

SDR :cheers:
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”