MCM Fireplace (photos, information, materials, etc...)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

danny leisure
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MCM Fireplace (photos, information, materials, etc...)

Postby danny leisure » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:28 pm

Perhaps there is already a thread for this topic (The Mid-Century Modern Fireplace --with special attention given to interior chimneys), but I couldn't find it (granted, I didn't SCOUR into the deep dark recesses of the site...), so I'm starting one.

We recently purchased a one-owner (basically) 1955 ranch. We were lucky enough to receive the blueprints for the house, and I was very pleased to find that almost NOTHING has been changed since the house was built. A coat of white paint has been sprayed throughout the interior, but that's easily remedied where we want, and actually gives a pretty nice clean palette with which to begin.

Anyhoo... the one feature I'm not thrilled about with the home is the fireplace (and a leak in the tar/gravel roof... but that's another story). A gas insert with remote has been added, which we'll likely keep for now (it's just soooo much easier and cleaner --though I do actually miss chopping wood). However, the face of the fireplace is recessed "normal brick" (that has been painted white with the rest of the interior) with a quarry-tile hearth which is the same as the floor-finish hidden under the carpet throughout the rest of the living space (the quarry-tile is called for in the blueprints, and was used throughout the local country club as well, which I believe was built by the same person who built our home).

I love how "original" everything in our home is, but I really want one of those great limestone/sandstone, floor to ceiling, flat-stack, MCM chimneys. I've been scouring the net looking for photos, etc... but haven't found a whole lot.

And before you start, I know the "chimney" I create (just a facade) won't be a functioning part of the fireplace architecture, but nobody but us (and anyone who reads this thread :oops: ) will know, and the visual impact is worth it to me.

Eventually I'll have questions about good material sources, the possibility of salvage stone, full stone vs. stone veneer, mortaring options, etc... but for now, I'm just looking for visuals. I know there are TONS of cool fireplaces out there, and I'd love to see what people have. The one other "possible" house we looked at before buying our home had an amazing double-sided, corner cantilevered central fireplace, but the rest of the house left too much to be desired.

Show me what you got!

Pretty boring, huh?

(sorry about the long post... I get excited about all of this stuff)

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:54 pm

My Personal opinion, but I would just remove the paint and leave it as is.

danny leisure
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby danny leisure » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:06 pm

T.O. MidMod
Modern Socialite

Postby T.O. MidMod » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:09 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:34 pm

is that your main living room or just a basement chill out room?
if it is main living space, it is boring...
lots of options.
i'll try and come up with photos.
you have such a clean slat to work with.
can't see the whole room, but horizontal stone work, with long horizontal
bench/mini shelf. all intigrated. not that hard to do since the hard part exists, (fireplace).
research and collect photos!

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:04 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:40 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:42 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:07 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:21 am

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:35 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:39 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:54 am

the eichler fireplace i'm fond of.

my fireplace is 2x11 natural brick. extends all the way to the wall on the
right. above and left is clear ceder tongue and groove.
i'm looking for a way to add a cantilievered bench seat.
i have a big, super big natural wool rug, tripple padded as a giant
dog bed. so we spend alot of time lounging on the floor.
studying neutra, eichler, FLW, etc. they like to stretch out long and low.
horizontal, along expansive walls with low built-ins. it's comforting. 'grounds'
the room. rather than every piece of furniture sitting around on 4 pokey legs.
i want to use slate,native to my area, but will most likely use wood.

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:56 am

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:31 am

Here's ours:

Last edited by kandersen on Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:41 am

Little smaller, taller pic:

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:49 am

One more close up:

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:07 pm

now that's beautiful kandersen
the windows, the light. even a planter!

stellablue
Modern Groupie

Postby stellablue » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:25 am

my fireplace.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:52 am

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Print

Postby Josquin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:06 am

kandersen,
I like your Japanese print by Ito Shinsui of a young girl washing; it's a nice touch. Love the fireplace and the red chair.

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:26 am

Here are some other photos I found on flickr, some real fantasy but neat to look at

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite

Postby AlcoaMCM » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:52 am

Okay, okay. You talked me into it. Here's our main fireplace. Brick on bottom, teak on top, glass above that. Trim is aluminum.

I think the fireplace insert is either tarnished brass or oiled bronze. Either way, it's not my favorite, but it's subdued enough that it has dropped to the bottom of a LONG list of projects!

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:59 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

In re: the 4th post

Postby modfan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:07 am

I'm wondering if they still DO sell that kind of product. I remember back in the late 50's-60's they had TV commercials for 'Z-Brick' which was a product of which you posted about. They touted the DIY nature of it it showed a brick fireplace pattern being done but I dunno if they offered other patterns but it supposed to be readily available at any hardware store.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:37 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:07 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:52 pm

alcoa. another beautiful fireplace. and one like no other i have seen.
and the exact repeat opening for wood/or plants!
always have like the unusual stack of brick one above the other.
very clean and simple and pure. no room for nick-nack.

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite

Postby AlcoaMCM » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:14 pm

Thanks! I just love the teak, especially next to those bricks. You can't see it in the photos, but the wood has the most beautiful oil-rubbed finish.

At some point in the past the fireplace was converted to gas, so I'm still playing with what to do with the wood bin. We might end up putting a tv there.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:20 pm

ok, mr. leisure. you're getting picky. :wink:
just kidding. but at least i know what you are after.
what is native stacked stone in your area.?
all the veneer stacked stone i have seen, 'no, really, it is real stone',
that comes in some measure of 2' x 4' ish, is sometimes real and often
a poured tinted concrete. snaps together. the pattern repeats and obvious
to a good eye. restaurants use it to fancy up the place.
must be a good stone guy in the hills of colorado.
i can visualize what you want. just can't find it.
sorry, not remembering colorado. i drove through in '74 in my
toyota corola sr5 hatchback.(my hit all 48 state tour). it was having altitude trouble and i tended to its suffering over the beauty of the terrain.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”