Mid-Century Modern Ceiling Fans

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

danny leisure
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mid-Century Modern Ceiling Fans

Postby danny leisure » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:22 pm

I'm having a VERY hard time finding a ceiling fan (or two) that fit in my 1955 ranch. I know this is largely due to the fact that ceiling fans weren't really used a whole lot in modern 50's architecture and that cross ventilation utilizing clerestory windows and open doors (passive solar) was more likely the mode of "wind cooling."

Currently my clerestory tilt-outs are caulked and painted shut, and simply replacing the fans would be a quicker and easier way to keep the house cool this summer (a whole house fan would be nice, but that's some major demolition, install and venting).

Anybody have suggestions of good places to look? Modernfan, Fanimation, etc... all seem to be more contemporary than mid-century mod. We had a great fan in our "modern" house, but it was definitely more contemporary than MCM.

Anybody got any pics they can post or leads on what I should be looking for? (I think white over silver would be best, so that it blends into the ceiling more... but I'm more interested in what an interesting "period" mcm fan looks like).

Here's one of the fans I'm looking to switch out --brass and fake wood grain (p.s. those are shots from before we bought the house, the furniture is not mine :roll: ):

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:56 pm

Here's what I think:
A plain fan. The plainest you can find. You want it to go away. Not "feature" it. In your case a plain white one. You also need a longer down. rod. The fan is more efficient if there is space above it. If you go to one of the manufacturers web sites (like hunter) there is a chart that tells you how long the rod should be with respect to the mounting height. You want it at least 7' but not more than 8' above the floor. It will also make the fan look right. These little short down rods are a new idea.

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:06 pm

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:44 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:07 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:09 pm

I once installed a couple of fans for a friend who found "old new stock" of really old fans like those used in markets above the produce. They were heavy, maybe cast iron. after they were up, you filled them with machine oil. No provision for a "light kit"

I have used this fan for clients in an open beam home. It's doing a little too much design talking, but it is high quality and the up light is nice.

http://www.regencyfan.com/ceiling-fans/ ... 122&par=83

The other thing you might try:

Replace the fan above the dinning table with a light. Two fans in the same space is too much unless they are aligned somehow. Use the taken down one with it's longer down rod, remove the light kit, spray paint it white and use it in the living room. (the one currently in your living area has probably had it's wires cut too short to add a long down rod) I bet the odd placement of the existing fan is because it was originally an outlet box for a swag fixture. (unless it's obvious the wiring was run there later)

How about central A/C? I'm serious, major homeowner tax credits for high efficiency units are currently available.

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:38 am

My opinion is that the fan should dissappear against the ceiling, whatever color that is, and should be devoid of ornamentation. You basically don't want to notice it, ever, as it's a functional and not a design element. Once you attach lighting to it, go with brass, stainless (unless your ceiling is stainless), make it look like a sailing ship or space craft, your drawing attention to it and it takes away from everything else in the room - it essentially becomes the focal point. I mean, do you want people to walk into a room and immediatly say "nice fan" or do you want them to comment on the furnishings? JMHO.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 am

I agree with the statements regarding a simple white fan, that blends in with the ceiling. We put altus Hugger fans in all 3 bedrooms of our Rancho and you don't even notice them. We used the Hugger version, in order to get the fan as close to the ceiling as possible.

One day I will add more pictures to my blog showing the fans and the rooms in which they are in, plus we replaced all the furniture in the Great room to more appropriate sized items

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:11 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:04 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:44 am

Last edited by danny leisure on Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:47 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

There was a posting

Postby modfan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:30 am

on here either on it or linked it had a really cool lookin fan with clear blades, talk about 'disappering'.

I agree keep it simple tho, as another posted mentioned a plain hunter one or better yet if you could get a used one that was in a market, I'll bet they were sturdily built and would last forever if maintained, altho they might kinda heavy.

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:52 am

Perhaps the current leader:
http://www.homeofdecor.com/hocf/CFDetai ... medium=cpc

is the fan we had in the old house.

The more I look, the more I think I might try to remove the housing from the current fan, and just paint it white.

one's kind of interesting, but probably too obtrusive, gimicky, clunky.

The aldus "hugger" mentioned above by BOXOUTBM might work, especially considering the beam-mounted situation I have.

Actually, I just found this one, and I really like it, especially since I'm considering doing a hanging cluster of white globe lights somewhere in the house.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:56 pm

This is what we came up with for our weekend house. The house is still being remodeled so they aren't installed yet but I had Hunter brand fans that ran 24/7 for over 12 years in our LA house.

That is not a light on the bottom. There is no light option for this one.

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Postby lasquirrel » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:12 am

Sheryl

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:27 am

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:29 am

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:35 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Mid-Century Modern Ceiling Fans

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:49 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Re: Mid-Century Modern Ceiling Fans

Postby danny leisure » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:51 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:33 am

how many days of the summer is it above 90 degrees out?

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:36 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:42 am

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:03 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:30 pm

do you have AC?

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:08 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:44 pm

danny leisure
Modern Socialite

Postby danny leisure » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:08 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”