Ideas for kitchen update

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

kraftdee
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ideas for kitchen update

Postby kraftdee » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 am

Hi,
I wonder if anyone has any ideas for kitchen update.
I don't want to change structure just want to update floors, counter and cupboards. Any ideas would be appreciated. http://www.flickr.com/photos/14704317@N08/1498927244/

Thank you Dee

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:03 pm

A couple thoughts for affordable updates:

Replace countertops with retro formica
Flooring: Marmoleum or VCT tile, inexpensive and appropriate for the period.

What are the cabinets made up? Can they be stripped? If they're plywood original cabinets, I would take them back to the original light wood finish. Otherwise, I would paint them out in some fun vintage colors and add vintage hardware. If possible, change out some of the doors to sliding doors with pegboard, like the original Alexander kitchen, to add a little visual texture.
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:58 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:05 pm

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks, Paul and Rocklandlounge. Paul, you read my mind I meant to ask for budget minded ideas. I'm googling some options now for the countertops. I'm not sure how to find out if the wood is good underneath but at least I can paint. The current floor is original rolled linoleum but will change that out for sure. Since most of the house will flow together I need to find something that will work in kitchen, dining, hall, bathrooms. I don't know much about manoleum or VCT so will have to research. I keep seeing redos in beautiful wood floors and slate. I haven't seen manoleum or VCT...wish I could do a tour somewhere. I'll have to look into that.
Rocklandlounge, thanks for your ideas. I took a look at robbhoustons cupboards and their really nice. I'm going to have to check with a carpenter to find out what the options are. I agree about the microwave... and yes, it's wallpaper--I think it's 80's style. can hardly wait to remove it.
This forum is amazing.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:24 am

this site has endless information to get you familiar with choices,
including marmoleum...

http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/Publ ... /index.cfm

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Sienna » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:31 am

Unless you do not plan to stay long, no matter what anyone tells you don't get IKEA cabinets!!!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:56 am

probably the existing cabinets are better than ikea.
and on a budget, some minor upgrades are what is called for.
invest in a few changes. mid-century lighting, (above dining table) etc.
research new counters, take your time...
change a little at a time, especially what you really hate, (wallpaper).
flooring seems neutral and ok for now, though can't really see if it
is cheap and gross.
Ikea hardware is great, and i even like some of their cabinets.
(though my old cabinets in my last place looked pretty bad after
10 years and sliding racks fell apart, hardware was missing when
we first put them in, even a drawer face was missing...three trips
back to get it all straight...ikea) can't beat the price though get what
you pay for. i would still probably do it again if my kitchen was awful.
but yours is not!

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:18 am

I've seen quite a number of genius Ikea updates and many testaments to their quality, I'd recommend reading this thread (and links to other threads therein) before dismissing Ikea:

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:19 am

also. become familiar with some good mcm furniture design.
use ebay as a guide. so when you are out hunting at yard sales,
thrift stores, etc, you can spot a good deal.(just an example below)

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NORMAN-CHERNER-SI ... dZViewItem

if you have some good pieces, it retains value. ...my boss invested in
cherner table and 4 chairs. he brought in his old Pottery Barn table and
chairs...out of 50 people, no one wanted it! so we put it out on the
street....i'm sure it went to a good home.
i've collected over the years, and if i ever need a change, i'll get 20
times what i paid for things.
perhaps some ikea trinkets will be classics, but i doubt much of their
larger furniture pieces will have lasting power, they'll fall apart first.!

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:30 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:04 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:38 pm

this is messy sunday morning. though it doesn't look that messy, but
in real life it is. nytimes everywhere. we are slobs. so this has been a
welcome challenge to keep tidy. the best thing are the four cabinets along
the back wall. i thought of you. similar set-up. if you have 12-15 inches,
just an idea. if i had a microwave, it would be in there. four cabinets, sliding
doors. mostly closed. to the right is a pantry and all the way left,(out of view)
is cleaning stuff, broom etc. the two open, one is a mini office, old laptop,
scotch, wine and a few cookbooks. the other has small tv for morning news,
tray for cell phones and recycling below, dog food, bird seed. it is our hub and
central to our lifestyle. up at 5am, out by 5.45.
it has been a simple adjustment to make our mcm fit our modern lifestyle.
we have separate offices, my studio downstairs, but when we are over
worked, this gives us that 15min in the morning to check e-mail, add to
my blog, laugh, step out on the deck with coffee, compact, but i love it.
and when we shut the doors when we leave, we come home to a simple
clean kitchen, and then mess it up again....
not sure about your house, but around the corner by our breakfast table is
a hallway to study, guest room, and master bdrm.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Looks to me

Postby modfan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:46 am

Like ya don't need to do much.
I'd say just make it less 'white' get an appropriate accent or some kind of
mcm color scheme or texture whether paint, floor, or cabinets.
(as for me I'd keep the countertops, ceramic is so much better than formica or granite or caesarstone)
And I'd switch out that 80's stained glass dining area light fixture for something more mcm.

Love the fireplace!

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:29 am

re: ikea cabinetry

our plan is to use pre-made bases and cover with custom-made doors... i plan to use ikea bases as i can't find other modular cabinetry made of solid wood (and most looks like a country-cottage if it is).

ikea bases seem to be on-par with others of the same construction (it is particle board, after all)... yet most of their internal hardware (drawer frames, hinges) are made by blum with a snap in ikea nameplate (i've seen studio-becker cabinets at 10X the price use the same internals with their own snap-in nameplate... blum seems like good goods).

i'd like to hear from the ikea pundits with any specifics about their disdain... not that i want to defend my choices (i haven't bought them yet), but actually wondering is this is a baseless charge.

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Thank you... thank you... thank you

Postby kraftdee » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:05 am

Thank you so much for your opinions.
Rocklandlounge, thanks for posting the photos and thoughts on extra cabinetry on back wall. I was thinking of doing exactly that on my wall.

One problem I have with my kitch in the afternoon is strong sunlight coming through. WE don't have any window coverings we haven't figured out the best solution. I don't like the idea of covering the windows with anything but if we can find something like a real clean thin streamlined pull down shade to use when needed that would be one solution.
Redneckmodern, I wonder why you feel that way about caesarstone? I thought it was very strong like a granite. Is maintenance an issue?
Thanks again everyone -Dee

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:28 am

i'm not fond of blinds, but for strong direct light, the solar ones are ok.
you can still see out, but blocks the direct sun.
i put them in my studio first thing as a temporary solution though they
are still there. not sure where i got mine but lots out there.
(bed bath and beyond maybe?)
this one shows the see-thru effect.

http://www.graberblinds.com/graber_blin ... tLineID=42

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:31 pm

There are some ready made roll up solar shades at Lowes. I'm not sure about the widths. I also like accordion and cellular shades because the can
stack really tight when open. The least expensive ones have the least thickness when up. You really have to dig deep into the catalog to find the specs on how many inches it is per foot when up.

This place is pretty adamant about not liking stone surfaces in kitchens. I think that stone gets a bad rap because so many of the great unwashed masses put in shinny granite with a big thick "decorative" edge. But plain stone or caesarstone with a mat finish is just fine. So is concrete. There is nothing particularly "nifty fifties" about your kitchen. So I don't think you need to "decorate" with a retro formica. But some small mosaic tile on the backsplash would be nice.

kraftdee
Modern Socialite

Postby kraftdee » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:52 am

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:16 pm

I have to agree with Egads on the stone vs. other materials. I think Silestone/Caesarstone has a great terrazo look to it and living with a countertop with groutlines can be trying.

I guess this whole discussion harkens back to the contemporary vs. mid-century discussion that focused on bathrooms last summer or so.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:48 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:23 am

Last edited by rockland on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:16 am

I love our Brew Express built in coffee maker

http://www.lancelarkin.com/htmls/brew.htm

It is sorta retro looking and frees up some valuable counter real estate....
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc

Architectural Real Estate

1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5

Palm Springs, CA 92262

www.MidCenturyModernPS.com

760-459-1396

DRE 01325586

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:54 pm

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:24 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:08 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:30 am

When we first started on our house I was concerned about the original laminate countertops...they were in incredible condition for a 50yr old house. I didn't want to be the first to chip or gouge them so was throwing around the idea of having glass made to set on top, not attached or anything, just set on top. Along the lines of glass on top of coffee tables and chests of drawers to protect the wood. I never followed through with the idea, didn't even get a quote or investigate whether I could do it all in one piece or not but your kitchen brought the idea back up front in my head.

If everything is sturdy and flat why not have a few pieces of 1/8 or 1/4 glass cut to size? It would eliminate having to clean the grout...clean up would be a snap...you could even have it made out of tinted if you wanted to diminish the tile pattern showing through. Should be cheap enough that if it cracked (due to a dropped pan) it could be replaced without too much pain in the pocket. Our appliances (oven, dishwasher, storage door) are aluminum with glass over the front and I think the look is great...Just a thought.

As far as the microwave on the counter...lose it. We have been without a microwave for over ten years now and have not missed it even once. Leftovers taste so much better when heated back up in an oven or frying pan. There is nothing better on this earth than "tuna noodle" leftovers heated up in a frying pan the next day.

Somebody tell me what is wrong with my idea of glass on the counter...I know I am missing something, it seems too easy.
Last edited by classic form on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:23 am

Tempering and expense. And the ridiculous factor.
The glass discussed here is on the back splash.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”