Chrysler Turbine - home movie

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dan O.
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Chrysler Turbine - home movie

Postby Dan O. » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:29 pm

During what must've been the coolest consumer "clinic" ever Chrysler distributed 55 turbine cars to members of the public to use at their pleasure for a limited time (for evaluation). Here is a link I found on YouTube featuring a home movie of one lucky family taking the Turbine car out to a fancy restaurant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gy_fNjOy98

AntarcticDave
Modern Groupie

Postby AntarcticDave » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Dad saw one of these on the road back then. He said the high pitched jet engine noise was unmistable. Chrysler had one on display at the Denver Auto Show last year - it was fun seeing one up close.
Dave
1949 modern in Denver

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:55 am

These are amazing. My understanding is all but a few of them were crushed after the test, due to feds imposing a huge tax on the Italian-made bodies. Car never went into production because it ate gas. I saw one of the survivors at the Auburn-Cord-Dusenburg Museum about 12 years back. Notice it looks kinda like a 63-66 T-Bird? Same guy designed both cars...

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:37 am

That vid was shot on Shelter Island in San Diego, at Bali Hai. Watching the vid, I assume that parking and getting OUT of the car was a big part of the experience...

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I found

Postby modfan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:31 am

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”