1950's Bathroom remodel- wadaya think?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kahuna
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1950's Bathroom remodel- wadaya think?

Postby Kahuna » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:18 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post, but i've been following this forum for a while. I've been "restoring" our typical 1950's ranch for a few years now. I don't believe it is made by any of the known designers, but we really enjoy it. During this remodel I've been puttin more of the "atomic" into our ranch. I'll post some of my other work if you are interested later, but for now I need some feedback on our small bathroom remodel.

This was my first total room remodel and i've been learning how to do this stuff on other dyi sites. The problem is, as you all know, since i've been trying to be authentic, and I'm using 50's materials and colors, I've been getting little if any feedback on my work. I'm sure if i was using some shade of tan along with granite or some other stone that matches the tan i'd be gettin more comments. They all just seem to be tearing out what i'm trying to put back in, they just don't get it - that's where you come in.

I have two questions for you all, 1) whadaya think? 2) do you think i'm still keeping my house 50's? I mean does this look authentic to the period or am i going too far off track? I know i got the shower idea looking through alot of old American Home mags, but the design is my own.
I do very much respect your opinion, and thank you all for giving us a place to feel at home...

Aaron

before..

after..

before..

after..

ViciousChick
Modern Socialite

Postby ViciousChick » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Wow, that's your first tile job? Nice! I love the tiki and palms!
Karen

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:40 pm

It's nice, but the lack of a mortar bed and raised bull-nosed tile is a dead giveaway of non-50's. The terrazzo floor tiles are a classy touch, but without vibrant 50's colors you do not have a true reproduction. It looks a bit more like an upscale home otherwise and to the casual observer or someone with good taste will have a true mid-century look. I am the oddball who can tell the date of anyone else's work by the materials and construction method, but most designers have no idea of the "nuts and bolts" behind the scenes. Two knocks with my hand tell a lot about whether the tile sits on a mortar bed or Durock and/or drywall. The glass shower door is definately modern, and your tile work looks very professional.

By the way did you build the vanity? It is a perfect 50's style with the enclosed sink. Nice chrome pot metal pulls, and the chrome heater/vent is gorgeous and perfectly period!
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

Kahuna
Modern Fan

Postby Kahuna » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:09 pm

I agree with you on the raised bull nose/ mortar bed. Like I said this is my first full tile job and I've never done mortar. After i jack hammered the old mortar out and found out the old liner was improperly installed and leaked for years, i decided to kerdi the shower so it would last for 50 years.

I disagree on the colors though, (the pics don't show it well) but this is definitely 50's. It's a dead nut's match for my neighbors seafoam green (his house is the same year) and the company I bought the tile from have made the same color since the 50's. Also the terrazzo is a close match for a home we visited in palm springs from the 50's (real terrazzo however).

It is kind've funny that in the new diy forums, the one negative comment I got was the colors are too "dated". Trust me the colors are the one thing I'm confident about. I researched those for about a year and I used an actual 50's tile to color match. Almost everything in my house is from the 50's and color is very important to me (I think it's a sickness :wink: ).

So do you think I should go with mortar on the next bathroom? Is that important enough not to overlook? And the shower door what would you say would be more period correct? That was a tuff call, i couldn't find anything that worked for a moderately priced ranch. If this were a more high end mid century home i would've justified spending for a high end door. What about the design? If I did set the tiles in mortar, would the design pass? Not that i'm trying to deceive anyone, (I'm very proud of the fact that this bathroom has been updated with modern technology) I just strive for period correct as much as possible...

If you like the heater, you might like the hidden toothbrush holder i installed....

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:42 pm

Where did you get the toothbrush holder? Inquiring minds want to know:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10684

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:10 pm

Kahuna
Modern Fan

Postby Kahuna » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:46 pm

thanx, for the positive feedback everyone....

egads, i got the toothbrush holder (along with 2 toilet paper holders and 3 towel racks with shipping) for $20 on ebay and it's literally in mint shape with the plastic insert. but it was mislabeled as old bathroom supplies or something, and i haven't seen one since. Half of my house i got on ebay, but i've been collecting stuff for a while back when you could get some real deals....

sumu, we really splurged on the terrazzo because of the small square footage (i also got some for our other bathroom i plan on doing next year), but we absolutely love the way it looks. it's made by bisazza and it's about $24 a tile and you have to buy it by the box (20 tiles), but i'm pretty sure they make them in black and they make them in 16". i highly recommend them :mr green:

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:10 am

I have seen homes from the 50's and 60's with the clear glass shower doors. While less common than the patterned glass, they were found in some of the more upscale homes in Miami, so I know they are period correct for the 50's. Most ranch homes were low cost, so they used 4" x 4" tiles instead of the more expensive rectangulars like you did. No tract home builder would have installed the Tiki motif you did, so again only a more upscale or commercial setting would have that. The main thing is that it looks like your work is precise and high quality. Almost all observers would say it's 50's-60's. The main thing is that YOU like it and it solved the mistakes of a previous installer.

As for the future if you decide to use a mortar base do what I did and use wood or steel to frame it and establish level and flatness. Use a screed board to even the surfaces. It is a lot more work though, and difficult to prepare. If this was your first time I think you made the right decision.
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

CanadianViking
Modern Fan

Postby CanadianViking » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:32 am

Kahuna,

I think your bathroom looks great! This is going to be our next project in our house and I hope it turns out as nice. I was concerned about using a larger floor tile in a small room like a bath, but it looks great in yours so I feel more comfortable with it now. Well done!

dorisday
Modern Fan

Oooh - I love that tiki shower

Postby dorisday » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:20 pm

Can I ask where you got the palm tree and tiki decals for the shower?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Re: Oooh - I love that tiki shower

Postby egads » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:10 pm

deagna
Modern Socialite

love it

Postby deagna » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:40 am

I love the palms! I grew up in Tampa, so I have a particular attachment to that style. I think the whole bathroom is great. The accessories, the tile, the colors. I wish I had one as nice.

Kahuna
Modern Fan

Postby Kahuna » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:08 am

Bosa Nova
Modern Fan

Postby Bosa Nova » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:13 am

Designergenes
Modern Fan

Postby Designergenes » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:43 pm

"Whoopin' ass and fussing over complementary color harmonies since 1968"

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:43 am

The MCM we recently bought came with the built-in toothbrush holders already in place and in great shape. Only problem is modern toothbrushes are a lot longer than they were in mid-twentieth century...I can only get one brush in at a steep angle unless I cut and round off the brush handle end.

Nice "restovation". We're facing a situation in our place with a hall bath that is in great shape but has gawd awful pink tile. I'm talking almost Pink Panther pink, and it's everywhere...on the walls up to about four feet, the countertops, the walls surrounding the original tub, with an occasional single tile that is white with a floral pattern interspersed. Bleah. Neither my wife or I like it.

For the remodel I'm deliberating whether to reduce the amount of tile (after a complete color change, of course!) and go with a different surface for the vanity top...I want to respect the MCM roots of the room but not be held slave to it. I interpret "modern" for this house as not only being mid-century, but an evolving thing that can honor a mid-century feel, yet be right up to snuff for our time.

I think in your bath project you straddled that line well...it's a handsome job. 8-)
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”