Sliding Glass Door Repairs

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Sliding Glass Door Repairs

Postby Chrisgreen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:40 pm

I searched here but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any tips on how I could find someone to repair my early-60s vintage sliding glass door? I think the rollers are messed up (or gone) because it is a struggle to open and close and doesn't roll at all. A while back I hired a handyman for some other tasks, and when I mentioned the sliding door, he suggested getting a new VINYL one. No way! I can't afford a new aluminum door right now, so I hope there is someone who can repair these. Any suggestions?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:02 pm

You start by calling glass companies. And all of them are going to want to sell you a new door. It may approach the price of a new door to get someone out to fix. Or try another handyman. Here is what has to happen. The door must be lifted out and laid down. (two guys right there) Then you must remove the existing wheel assemblies. (really hard to do with corroded aluminum, sometimes impossible) Then you have to find matching replacement wheels. So for all these reasons, most handymen do not want to open said can of worms. So if you are at all handy or have a friend who is, try taking the door out and checking on the condition of the wheels. Apply WD-40 or some other penetrating lubricant. See if the wheels can be removed to be replaced. If not, you can put it back and live with it until you can afford a new one. But paying half the cost of a new one only to find out it can't be fixed would be a bummer.

By the way, as discouraging as I sound, I do support you trying to save the old door.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:47 pm

i agree with egads and try and save it. i prefer the handy friends approach. lay it down and really
study it. the rollers may be shot but it is worth a try. when we moved in our kitchen sliders were
shot we thought, but i really soaked it with fluid film, similar to W-D. wire brush. we use that door
50 times a day so i was determined. we also have two other sliders and one is rarely used so we
thought about switching them. though didn't need to. it can back to life and works like a dream.
i think yours may be in worse shape, but do you have any other sliders that you don't use as often.?
the set by our dining table i don't recall ever opening in the past year. or maybe once. when the idea
of switching them hit me, i feel like i have a back-up if the rollers ever bottom out.

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite

Postby Chrisgreen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm not very handy, but we'll try it and see what we find.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:45 pm

My point is, you and a friend or two can spend time that would cost a lot if you where paying to have it done. No handyman is going to be comfortable taking your door out and then letting it soak. "Ok sir, I'll be back in about three or four hours" It's what is required, but a client would think he's a drunk.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:13 pm

it really is a long soak. spin, fuss, spray and soak some more. hate to pay
someone for that.

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:52 pm

I agree with what everyone else has said, it's not really difficult, you can do it, or at least start there!

If not, or if that fails, we have alot of sliding glass doors at the Village Green that were put in during the condo conversion. They often have this same sort of problem, and we have been using

California Sliding Door
Jeff Cross
310-576-1396
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite

Postby Chrisgreen » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:30 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:54 pm

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:03 pm

Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite

Slidng Glass Door Repairs

Postby Chrisgreen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:23 am

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:40 pm

Sounds you did a good job and saved a bundle. Well done!

We just moved into a 1952 ranch and one of the sliding closet doors was sluggish. I doused it with silicone and as sumu suggested, waxed the runners- just like a sled. Works a lot better now.

Flovern
Modern Groupie

Postby Flovern » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:23 pm

Yes, well done. I recently moved to a MCM (ca 1959) with 4 sliding glass doors looking out onto the patio and pool. The previous owner, for whatever reason, had applied Liquid Nails to each side of the sliding doors and steel frames. I spent weeks carving out that stuff but finally got them all functional again. Yeah! :D

hortonhw
Modern Fan

Postby hortonhw » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm

affordable sliding door repair
bruce conger

he used to be the best guy at california sliding door, but has gone out on his own and started his own company. very nice, professional, and honest.

it is truly amazing what new wheels will do for your doors. they should glide with just a fingertip.

ksjoyner
Modern Socialite

Postby ksjoyner » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:00 pm

My 1973 aluminum sliders had the same problem. My husband vacuumed the rails really well, cleaned the door wheels and scrubbed the rails then WD40s them on occasion. Now they open smoothly with no problem. We have 3 sets that are in the living room, tv room and master bedroom. The real trick is to keep the rails clean and oiled.

bammer
Modern Socialite

Postby bammer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks for the tip on Affordable Sliding Door Repair. One of my dogs slid into my huge wood door, knocking it off the rails. Bruce Conger came on Sat morning and fixed it, very quickly of course, and then caulked the glass, sprayed the rails, it's a wonderful thing.

I highly recommend this guy.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”