School pendant lamp?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

School pendant lamp?

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:07 am

I have been looking for many years, without any success, for a school pendant lamp from the 1950's and 60's; they were ubiquitous! They got rid of all of them in the 1980's when they decided to "up grade" to florescent.
The one I'm looking for hangs from a rod from the ceiling, making it a pendant, and has concentric-rings made of sheet metal, about four of them, the largest being about 24-inches. In the center is a massive 800-W bulb, about six-inches in diameter.
My wife if a text book rep; in one her trips out to BF Egypt, she saw one of these, but since the school district is so poor, there's no way they'd get rid of it. She said they even had the asbestos tiles on the floors: GEEZ eh! If you wanted to film something to make it look absolutely period, you'd go there to shoot it.
Does anyone know where one of these might be had?
Thanks,
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

anapamu
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Old School

Postby anapamu » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:06 am

momp57
Modern Socialite

Postby momp57 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:19 am

There is one somewhere between Dallas, Tx and Harrisburg, Pa and back. I saw it in a shop on our travels this summer. It's just like the ones that were in my elementary school. I remember pointing it out to my partner, but can't remember where it was. Good Luck!!!

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:01 am

Are you looking for a concentric-ring fixture with silvered-bowl lamp? I remember those in some schools as well as the Holophane Paradomes which were still being produced up till a couple of years ago. I had 6 of the old concentric ring fixtures here with the 300 Watt silvered bulbs, and would probably install them for decoration only as they get so hot and consume so much power.
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:55 pm

Yes, that would be the one! Do you know who might have one, or who I might contact to find one?
Thanks,
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Thought I'd mention the (unrelated) School - type lamps Disney used on the Monsters, Inc. ride at California Adventure. Kinda neat.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”