eichler... trapped in time

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
redneckmodern
Modern Master

eichler... trapped in time

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:26 am

we had a chance to pop-by the open house on shay this weekend @ 8050 shay drive. wow -- what a specimen.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 am

Very cool - be nice to have the associated paper items from that house. You didn't take any exterior shots for those of us to the east?

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:48 am

a nice example of a mid-60s Eichler by Claude Oakland. This should look familiar to Rummer owners in Oregon.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:58 am

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Amazing to see an Eichler in such original condition. Thanks for sharing. Now, I can understand the dishwasher...but how the heck does one own a house for that long and never use the oven?
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:56 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:15 pm

wow. great to see. so pristine. must have been mind blowing reference.
i like the closet slider door detail, the edge trim.

raw veggies, no need for cooking, dishes or dishwashing...?

even the bath and sink look mint.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Well in that vein

Postby modfan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Bosa Nova
Modern Fan

WOW what a treat

Postby Bosa Nova » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:24 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:53 am

one of the interesting things about touring this house was the sentiment that kept ringing that we often hear: "hmmm. what if i was able to copy an eichler and build a new one -- exactly like the old one -- today".

much like rebuilding an old car and attempting to drive it on a modern highway, it's a difficult proposition (ask me how i know... ;) ...).

as such, one of the things i noted while walking though was how difficult it might be to live in a house *exactly* like this...: no grounded plugs... 100amp service... small, outdated appliances... very low showerheads (were people in 63 midgets?)... rotary phones... you'd really have to be into living in an old-fashioned way.

don't get me wrong, it was very neat. but i'm glad we inherited a rougher one so that we don't feel guilty when putting a microwave in place of the 2nd oven.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:53 pm

I really dig the VCT texture, good luck trying to find that today.

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:56 am

That interior is in amazing condition (going by the photos on your site and the realtor site) for a house that was lived in for 35 years (vacant 7). The photos don't reveal the usual tell-tale signs of long term living...faded paneling around where art hung, rust spots in the sink, discoloring of tile grout, multiple coats of paint, at least one or more remodels, which would include at least one or two dishwasher and oven replacements...either this woman and her son were fastidious housekeepers, or they didn't live there much and were light on the house when they were there.

Wow. Almost like an Eichler museum. I hope whoever buys it is an Eichlerholic purist, the best person possible to enjoy a house in that sort of state.

A related aside...my father-in-law bought a house two years ago that was built in 1973. The fireplace had never been used...not once (stlll hasn't). Blew me away when I figured it out...it would be like coming across that dishwasher and oven with not a speck of use on it. My in-law's house was also purchased from the original owners...some folks I guess simply chose not to use certain features of their home...but an oven and dishwasher? Amazing.
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:25 am

Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:

www.cosmicool.com

modfan

so...

Postby modfan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:21 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:03 am

the number of outlets has nothing to do with the overall ability of the panel to supply enough amperage to the house (or any one particular circuit in the run). the analogy is like the one about: "how can i be out of money? i still have checks"... most houses have a few circuit runs.

i'm no electrician, but very roughly, a 100 amp panel will give you 5 runs of 20amps or 6 runs of 15amps -- or any random combination of 120/220 runs of the previous. if -- on one 15amp run -- you have appliances that demand more than 15amps total, you'll flip a breaker. knowing that some appliances need dedicated circuits (washing machines, ovens, etc.) you run out of runs/circuits/amperage pretty soon of you plan on adding other big-draw items later down the line.

we upgraded to 200amp service to power air conditioners and high-wattage appliances like microwaves, etc... this also included a better grounding system. lighting itself is not a huge power-draw and is fairly consistent... but when an AC compressor (or any motor, really... table saw, vacuum, etc) kicks on, you can feel the pull... unfortunately, we were not able to split many of the circuits already established, but we were able to run new lines to some known big-draws to prevent overload on any one particular circuit (separate lines in the garage where there are large power tools). even then, we still flip a 15amp breaker when trying to run the shop-vac and table-saw on the same circuit.

i learned the pains of an under powered system by burning up a half-dozen porsche 25A generators when restoring my car and trying to add just a few accessories. like many things, it's best not to take your electrical parts to the limits of their ability to perform.

modfan

OIC

Postby modfan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:30 am

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Re: OIC

Postby redneckmodern » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:14 am

MarinModern
Modern Master

trapped in time eichler - good news....

Postby MarinModern » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:35 am

I've enjoyed reading this thread and am pleased to let MCM fans know that one of my clients just purchased this home. My clients are MCM purists so this is a wonderful fit for such a unique property.

For additional information on this particular Eichler neighborhood in the Oakland Hills, check out
Check out http://www.MarinModern.com and http://www.eichlerforsale.com for great MCM homes in the San Francisco Bay Area!

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:24 pm

I never chimed in earlier - my home was built in 1964 and has 150 amp service - but my home is larger than most in the neighborhood. My first house in the neighborhood originally had 100 amp service (fuses) that was replaced with a 200 amp service.

Since living in my current house I've added a 100 amp sub to exclusively run my woodworking equipment (cheaper to run a single set of leads from one panel to the sub to satisfy the equipment needs (3 20 amp 240s and 4 20 amp 120s), than to wire everything back to a panel that's already filled (added on 100 amp breaker to pull for the sub). It's a bit of overkill as I'll probably never have more than two pieces of equipment running at the same time (dust collector and table saw, etc).

Sorry if that's off-topic.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:22 pm

Another advantage to running large wire to a sub panel is less voltage drop.

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:49 am

100A might be plenty, especially if you heat/cook/dry with gas. Throwing an A/C in the mix might upset things though.

We have 100A service, and electric hot water, range, and clothes dryer, and it works fine (no A/C though)

One should do a load demand calculation though.
New York - Leeds- Los Angeles - San Francisco - Toronto
Wherever Google Earth takes me.

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:03 pm

modfan

FYI-I've browsed Google Earth

Postby modfan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:33 pm

And I noticed quite a few Eichler neighborhoods both N & S Calif.
'trapped in time' now have 'street view'. Now you can do a virtual drive thru of some of em-I was able to see Balboa Highlands, OC tracts, Concord, and some of the Palo Alto tracts. Looks like there was only 1 3 br/gallery plan built in Balboa Highlands.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”